0 comments

Drama Suspense Friendship

     Authors note: This story caries in point of view.


It's truly amazing how people change. He changed. There comes that time in your life where you think “This is them, This is the one.” That’s not the case in all situations. It’s easy to see a future with someone, but it's not always easy to make that future, a reality. It's hard to escape the reality. It's hard to hide; when the bruises on your body yearn for exposure. When your ego wants to rhapsodize about how tired and fed-up it is. But what if you had the chance to let go? The opportunity to be free? Would you take it?


Denzel: “MELONEY!”


He stomps up the stairs, each step angrier and more determined than the last.

 He, my lover, my abuser, my husband. Denzel.


Denzel: “MELONEY!!!” He yells louder.


His voice began to make me anxious. I know this can’t be good.

He stops at the beginning of the stairs.

Before I could fully comprehend the situation, he makes his way to our room; passing Beverly, our daughters, room.

I put down the clothes, that seconds ago, I was neatly folding.

When he finally makes it to our room at the end of the hall, he stops right in front of me.

I can feel his hot breath beaming on my face.


Denzel: “We're out of eggs. Why is that?” He says in a fragile, yet chilling tone.

I didn’t know what to say. How could I forget? I was usually on top of things.

“ I, uh, I-”

He grabs my neck and pins me to the wall. I knew I messed up. I scratch at his coffee-colored hands, which were aggressively rested on my neck.

This is it. This is the end. The last thing I would see is his coffee-colored skin, his plump lips, his light and dark blue plaid shirt, his valued hazel eyes. The eyes that I once fell in love with. Oh, how I long for air. The air feels so far away, yet it was so close.

Tears begin to roll down my eyes, as he loosened his grip. He lets me go and begins to walk away.

I crawl away on the floor, weak. Vulnerable.


Denzel: “Fix it.” he says as he walks out the door, closing it behind him.


Although I feel weak and lightheaded, I quickly get up, slipping a Turtle Neck. I make sure that the Turtle Neck covers the new bruises forced upon my neck.


Time to go to the store.


*The store


“So, how long has he been abusing you?”


I turn around to see this woman. She looks no older than 35 years old. She wears a black, white, and gray dress that drapes a bit past her knees. Her hair is dirty blond and her eyes are a friendly gray. Her skin is pale, with a hint of a tan. His oval-shaped face, cherry red lips, and small nose look too good together. 

She shifts from one foot to the other. I can tell she’s getting uncomfortable due to my lack of an answer.

Awkward

Who is she? I feel like I know her. But, do I?

How does she know? I never tell anyone. I don’t confide in anyone. I refuse to let anyone know of my abusive husband. What would they think of me? A wimp? A Victim? I’m neither of those, and I refuse to ever be treated so. 


“What?” I pretend to be sincerely curious.


“I know. I know who you are, and what you go through. I go through the same. I can help you, but only if you let me.”


Huh? Who did she think she was? Some heroin? Did she think she could just randomly come into my life and fix everything? And how? How would she even know?


“I don’t appreciate you assuming. I live a happy life. Now, if you would excuse me, I have an item that I need to obtain.” I fired back aggressively.


I turned away and began to walk away, but as I walked away, I could hear her call behind me…….

“You can’t hide it forever. What’s in the dark, will come to light!”


*Lidia Williams

I met her. I met the girl that I secretly betray. She was beautiful. She had a time- glass body shape. Her eyes dark brown, but her hair darker. Her hair was black. It reminded me of the night sky. Her eye shape was narrow. Her small, thick lips. She was petite. Despite the bags under her eyes, I admired her features. I wanted to tell her. I longed to tell her. I walked up to her in the store and tried to start a conversation. I guess “How long has he been abusing you?” isn’t the best sentence starter. I knew her. I remembered her. She didn’t recognize me; although I wished she had. I had to get to her. I had to communicate with her. We needed to work together.


*Meloney Martinez


When I arrived home, Denzel was already gone. He had left for work. I was alone, once again. Which was sadly, the way that I liked it. Beverly didn’t need to be picked up from school for a couple of hours more.

When I walked into the kitchen, I placed my keys on the black marble table. I began to walk towards the kitchen refrigerator.

I was starving.

I never wanted to eat when Denzel was around because according to him, I’m a “pig.”

He would often restrain me from eating because according to him “pretty girls were skinny.”

 I placed my pale hands-on steel fridge door and opened it.

I browsed for a deletable food, that would fill me up.

Before I could make up my mind, I noticed Denzel had left his lunch at home.

In great disappointment and despair, I knew I had to drop it off at his job; otherwise, I would be blamed for this. Leading to more bruises.

I grabbed his lunch, closed the fridge, reclaimed my keys, and left the house; locking the door behind me.



*Lidia Williams

After leaving the store, with my two cappuccinos, I was headed to work.

It was just another normal day at work. Nothing different. Except, maybe my….. daily work affair.

I wanted to stop. I wanted to forget that it ever even happened. But to my boss, it didn’t matter what I wanted. I didn’t want to be the mistress or homewrecker; but when I tried to leave, it became something more serious. Something more abusive. I had to learn to play along. I had to find his weakness and use them against him. But, I needed help. Help, that I couldn’t get


I walked into my boss’s office, placing one of the cappuccino’s on his desk.


Lidia: “Morning boss, how did you sleep?”


Denzel: “Thank you, Lidia, I’m glad that you asked. I think I slept a little weird. My shoulders are killing me. Would you mind?”


He gestured for me to come over.

I began to walk over to his desk and I stopped right in front of him.

He turned around in his spinny chair and I began to massage his shoulders.

He began to get up.

He grabbed my waist and began to kiss me; but before he continued, he walked past me and locked his office door. 

Locking our little secret inside.


*Meloney Martinez

I pulled up to Denzel’s office building moments later. I took the key out of the ignition and placed them into my purse.

I walked into the building and down the hall.

When I approached the door, I knocked.

It was locked. Since when?


Denzel: “Hold on one second.” He said, his voice quacking.


“Honey, you forgot your lunch. I brought it to you!”

A loud thud was made on the other side of the door.

Moments later the door opened and She emerged. 

She.

I knew I had recognized her. She’s my husband’s secretary. What was she doing in there?

Why was the door locked?


She walks forward putting her hand out to shake minds.

I shake her hand.

Lidia: “Lidia Williams”

Before I could say anything else, she swiftly slips a paper in my purse.

In realization of what’s really going on, I smack him across the face.

Something I know, later, I’m gonna pay for.

I furiously walk away and open my car.

I reach for the note that I saw Lidia slip in my bag.

“Were in this together. We can both escape. I’m thinking of Ontario! 453-606-72334”


The secret was out. I guess it was good.... because now, I had an ally.








October 23, 2020 20:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.