44 comments

Fiction Adventure Friendship

The timer box clanked, the buzzer bzz-bzzed, and the dull yellow light turned bright green. All the cell gates retracted and the barn door trundled open, and all the cows started shuffling down the worn path to get their morning milking. All but Clarice.

She scowled at her cell wall, resisting the inertia of habit, and around her roiled the ripples of gossip. What’s happening? What’s she doing? Is she ill? Is it catching?

“Clarice!” Tammy, one of the youngest cows, called out. “Are you all right?”

Clarice glared up at the timer box – their tireless guardian angel. It made short work of all the anxiety of choice and smothered them with routine.

“Get a move on, heif,” Imogen bellowed. She was the eldest, and when she spoke the others fell silent. “It’s milking time and we don’t want to be late.”

“No.”

Another ripple of whispers.

“What?” Imogen asked. “What do you mean, ‘no’? Get your butt in gear and stop fooling around.”

The buzzer sounded again as the barn camera hadn’t recorded any cows leaving, and this time the green light flashed a couple times to help the cows remember what they were doing.

Still Clarice didn’t move. “I’m tired of the metal automatons. The ape automatons were bad enough, but at least they had warm hands.”

Several cows concurred, the cold touch of metal-on-teat a well-known complaint. Imogen silenced them with a glare and a grumble.

“And I’ll go mad,” Clarice continued, “if I have to listen to that horrible wailing they call music one more time.”

Some more snorts of agreement, though there was an edge to it now. Grumbling about things was one of their favourite sports, but you grumbled as you did your duties – not in lieu of them.

“Right, it could be better,” Imogen said, “but it’s hardly the end of the world. Just hum your own tune. Now, stop dawdling and fall in line.”

The other cows collectively held their breath, waiting to see what would happen. Clarice stood frozen, not even flicking her tail. She had an idea, a strange notion that refused to go away, but she could barely hear it over the siren song of the rules. But then she finally moved to join the crowd. The others exhaled and Imogen smiled broad and ugly.

As the whole herd shuffled out of the barn the camera counted them off, and when the last left the barn doors slid shut again. And then another wave of exclamations bubbled up from the herd as Clarice broke away and stepped off the path.

She had to know. The notion was both seductive and infuriating, like a fly just out of tail’s reach. Surely, she thought, there must be more to life?

“What are you doing!?” Imogen shouted.

“I’m going for breakfast.” Clarice veered off the path to the milking barn and made her way towards the grassy fields.

“But,” Imogen sputtered, “you can’t! It’s our turn to get milked! If we miss our window, one of the other lodges will get their turn and we’ll have to wait till evening!”

Clarice continued walking, alone. “I’m eating breakfast,” she called over her shoulder. “Anyone that wants to join me is welcome to.”

By the time she took her third delectable mouthful of fresh clover, she noticed a few of her lodge sisters had joined her. And as they too took their first nibbles, more and more of the others approached.

“Oh, I feel so naughty,” Tammy said, grinning between every mouthful. The other young cows near her giggled and agreed, but the older ones ate hurriedly and kept glancing over their shoulders.

Finally the whole herd had joined Clarice, all except for Imogen who stood at the periphery and berated them.

“What is this I see? A fine lot you are, lazing about and stuffing your craws like some filthy sows!” A few older cows reddened in the face, but they kept eating all the same. “I am utterly ashamed to call you my lodge sisters. Irresponsible heifs, the lot of you. You don’t know how good we have it, and how bad things used to be.” Some younger cows dared roll their eyes and giggle, and Clarice smiled. “Oh, sure, go and eat. Enjoy your last meal, sisters-o-mine. Just what do you think the farmer will do when he notices we’re not there?”

There was another contagious giggle, but it stopped at once when Clarice raised her head.

“You’re right,” she said.

Imogen sneered, evidently pleased at being recognized.

But instead of returning to the milking barn path, Clarice went the opposite way, towards the dusty fence that ran around the farm’s perimeter.

“Where are you going now!?” Imogen spat.

Clarice sniffed at the fence, then rested her bulk against it. It gave a little but held. “I’m breaking out,” she said. Breaking out, breaking the rules, and breaking the cycle.

“You’re what!?” Imogen said. “You catch a case of Mad Cow?”

“C’mon,” Clarice said, addressing the others. “Any of you that want to go back to getting milked by frozen singing robots, go right ahead. The rest of you, I’d appreciate some help.”

“Step away from there, dummies!” Imogen shouted, as several cows came to Clarice’s aid. “That fence is there for our safety! Don’t you know there’s wolves in the woods?” A few cows startled at the reminder, but more of them lined up with Clarice and helped her push. It was an old fence, and it didn’t remember the last time a cow tried to break out. Neither did the farmer, forgoing maintenance. After a great heave the ancient wood cracked.

“Huzzah!” Tammy exclaimed, right as Imogen let out an indignant shriek.

Clarice crossed the sacred boundary of the farm and marched towards the woods, and the cows started following her one-by-one, then two-by-two, and then all the rest at once, until only Imogen remained behind. She berated them and shouted profanities about irresponsible heifers, but none were swayed by her caterwauling. Finally she huffed and followed too, muttering about a sober mind needing to rescue them all.

The woods were breathtaking, and the cows oohed and aahed as they walked. “I always wanted to see them up close,” Clarice told Tammy. She smiled, and felt as though a great yoke had been lifted from her shoulders. Tammy took a deep breath of the fresh piny air and giggled. Who would have believed such a beautiful world was a hay’s bale away?

Then Melanie groaned. “I think my udder’s full.”

“Yeah,” said Olivia. “I’m starting to cramp.”

“What did you think would happen?” Imogen shrilled. “I told you this was a bad idea. I told you.”

Clarice was starting to feel it too, and the thought of Imogen being right was enough to curdle her milk. But then she spotted something shimmering in the underbrush. “Look!” she said, and the cows followed her gaze to a glimmering stream.

“Oh, and look at all the wildflowers!” Tammy added, rushing over to them and sampling all the woods had to offer. Soon the others joined her, both for treats and a refreshing drink, forgetting themselves in the marvels of freedom.

“Don’t eat that!” Imogen shrieked. “You don’t know what that is! You don’t know where it’s been!”

“We have noses, Imogen,” Clarice said, keeping her tone level. “Once upon a time, they served us perfectly fine.”

“Savage sow!” Imogen hissed. It took all of Clarice’s effort to keep calm and it was a blessing when Imogen huffed and stomped off. And then, Clarice cracked a grin when she noticed Imogen unsuccessfully hiding behind a sapling and voraciously inhaling greenery.

They continued walking after their break, enjoying a long afternoon stroll. They ate when they felt like it, stretched their legs and their imaginations, and marvelled at all the wonderful sights and sounds of the woods. Their moods rose so that even the quietest among them, those most used to routine and frightened of life, raised their heads and drank deeply the fresh air, and laughed. Even Imogen had quiet moments where she forgot to grumble, and once Clarice caught the eldest cow marvelling at a passing butterfly, her eyes wide as a calf’s.

But the udders were becoming a problem. Clarice herself felt tight, felt increasingly uncomfortable. Irritable. The thought of relief – even by the horrid ice hands of the machines – played on her mind. She hated to admit that this was an oversight on her part, and fantasies of the farmer’s hands tugged at her thoughts. Then she scowled. What she really needed was a calf. When was the last time she had one of those? Months, probably, though it felt like years.

She remembered the last one. A boy she hadn’t bothered to name. He was precious and sweet and charming, and all too soon he was… snatched away? The farmer took him, yes, but could Clarice honestly say he was snatched? It’s not like they ever really fought to keep their calves. There wasn’t enough room to raise calves in the sleeping-barn, and the whole point of employing farmers and their robots was to make things safer and easier for everyone. So why did she feel so damn miserable?

She wanted her calf, and that was that. She wanted her calf and she wanted a bull – or two – and she wanted to eat when she damn well felt like it. When was the last time she’d even seen a bull? They were real, weren’t they? She hadn’t just imagined them, she hoped. She dimly recalled they got ornery, and so it was safer and easier for everyone to keep them in their own lodges too. Use the ape automatons to handle relations, in a safe and easy manner.

Lost in her ruminations and with her udder pressing ever on her mind, Clarice bouldered right through a bush and into a clearing – filled with wolves.

The wolves yelped and the cows shrieked, and then for an endless moment everyone was frozen in time. Clarice’s eyes met those of an old wolf with a grey streak in his fur, and his eyes were as wide with alarm as hers.

Her mind clanked, her instincts bzz-bzzed, and her dull yellow joy turned bright red panic. She felt in her bones that this was an ancestral threat to her kind, a cow-killer, and as though going through the same line of reasoning, the wolf’s alarm yielded to a saliva drenched snarl.

She would die here, Clarice realized, and she’d led her lodge-sisters to the same fate. Had she followed the rules this wouldn’t have happened. But, she had broken those rules, hadn’t she? As the wolf lunged for her, it occurred to her that this – this dance of predator and prey, of wolf and cow – was defined by rules too. And perhaps these rules too could be broken. With what might have been her final act, she stepped forward suddenly.

The wolf’s eyes widened as he collided with her bulk. He bounced off and flopped on the ground, dazed. Before he could stand, Clarice snorted and set her hoof on his head, pinning him. The members of his pack yelped again, and backed off, and the cows once more exclaimed. Even Imogen was utterly speechless.

The wolf started thrashing, his paws tearing loose clumps of dirt, but he couldn’t escape.

“Stop it,” Clarice hissed.

The wolf yelped and thrashed again.

“What’s your name, wolf?”

He growled and continued scrambling, but she pressed harder on his head and he grunted. “Ramsey!” he muttered, gasping for breath.

“Stop struggling, Ramsey,” she said.

He did, perhaps realizing he was hopelessly pinned, or perhaps realizing the threat posed by the full weight of a cow on his skull. He shivered uncontrollably.

“You were trying to kill me, weren’t you?”

Ramsey mewled, piteously as a calf. “I had to!”

Had to?”

“I need to feed my family! The horrid apes keep hunting us and all our food.”

Clarice huffed and took a look around the clearing. Just over a dozen wolves, most of them pups, most of them scraggly fur on pointy bones. They looked miserable, filthy, and terrified. When she looked down at Ramsey she saw mange, saw the run of his ribs.

So, she was right. The wolves too just followed the rules, though theirs was a different game. They too were slaves. But as she well knew now, rules could be broken – and changed.

“I have an offer for you, Ramsey,” she said.

“An offer?”

“If you kill us – and I think you understand now that you can’t – but if you did, the farmer would put an end to you and your family.” A high whine escaped Ramsey’s nose. “My offer is this. We’ll spare you, and in turn, you’ll serve as our guides and our guards.”

“Preposterous!” he muttered.

“Furthermore, we will freely offer our milk to your kin.”

Once more, silence struck the clearing with deafening might.

Imogen was the first to sputter, “Impossible!”

A she-wolf howled, “That’s not how things are done!”

But then Clarice beckoned one of the wolf-calves toward her, and the starving little runt approached – too young, perhaps, to know how things are done; or too hungry to care. It took to suckling one of her teats readily and the wave of sudden relief that washed over her was enough to make her knees soft.

“Well, it’s how things are done now,” Clarice said. When she raised her hoof from Ramsey’s head, he scrambled away from her and watched awestruck as the youngest of his pack flocked to Clarice, and then to the other cows. And then gradually the wolves and the cows came together and forged an unlikely alliance.

Ramsey’s trepidations vanished as his belly filled and he saw his family growing fat and healthy, and Imogen was too stunned to complain, or to remember what to complain about. The wolves turned out to be gregarious when not ravenous, and their little calves were charming in their own right, and won the hearts of many a lodge-sister.

Ramsey warmed to the new arrangement and he urged the cows to follow him as the day’s light began vanishing. He took them to a hill where they had a view of the rolling countryside, and when he told Clarice that there was a flock of sheep living nearby, she began hatching new notions for new tomorrows.

Then the cows gasped when they saw the naked night sky, which was denied to them in their safe and easy barn, and when the moon came out and Ramsey’s wolves howled at it, the cows joined them with their haunting moos.

May 08, 2023 23:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Mary Bendickson
00:54 May 09, 2023

Now that's the cow's meow. Oh, what the possibilities are if we can just co-operate.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:51 May 09, 2023

Thanks, Mary! Yes, definitely many possibilities, though I suspect it doesn't always go so smoothly :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Blackstock
18:26 May 24, 2023

"As the wolf lunged for her, it occurred to her that this – this dance of predator and prey, of wolf and cow – was defined by rules too. And perhaps these rules too could be broken." Besides the end, this was my favorite line. It's a cool story, but even more, your phrasing makes this great.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 May 25, 2023

Thanks Jon! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It felt like a "do or die" kind of moment, particularly given the animals involved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:40 May 22, 2023

Hi Michal This was an interesting interpretation of the prompt. To see things from the cow’s point of view as their fears gradually evaporated and they enjoyed their release from the daily grind, was rewarding. Wouldn’t it be great if they were able to have a more natural life and be milked in the old-fashioned way and freely wander about to enjoy the pasture? The ending was satisfying, but it was sad to think their new freedom led by the indomitable Clarice (great name for a cow) was bound to be short-lived. Something heroic about their eff...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:33 May 23, 2023

Thanks Helen! Yeah, in a realistic setting it probably would be short lived indeed. If not for the dangers of the wild, the humans would no doubt try to recover the cows (though now I wonder, what if there was some apocalyptic event that removed humans? How would the animals fare then? Perhaps that's a different story :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
19:20 May 21, 2023

Hi Michal! What a charming and wonderful story! My sister is crying, studying at Colorado State University with the hopes of someday becoming a veterinarian, and she consistently talks to me about the atrocities that can occur with farm animals. I think that she would really appreciate your story because she’s a huge animal rights activist. I liked that these characters were able to find a happy ending and I also liked the happy ending was a bit of a twist. I think it’s very human for us to assume that animals can’t behave in a way that we h...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 May 23, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! Yeah, the whole domestication of animals thing is pretty wild to think about, though not necessarily a bad thing. But in researching this story I did learn some horrible things about the business of meat. Maybe that's the issue, that it's first and foremost seen as a product, and that doesn’t leave much room for considering anything else. It doesn't help that there's such huge demand for it too. "animals can find new and interesting ways to interact with each other" - definitely! It's often amusing, frequently endearing, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:03 May 18, 2023

I loved this. It made me smile and even chuckle a couple of times. What a sweet parable. Great imagination, and I didn't see any errors. Nicely done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:51 May 18, 2023

Thanks, Patricia! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It was certainly enjoyable to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:12 May 17, 2023

This was such a creative take on this prompt! I would not have thought to use an animal POV for this, but it was wonderful. I found myself very quickly sympathizing with Clarice. Who hasn't woken up to the daily grind and thought, "There has to be more I'm missing ..."? It was wonderful watching her slowly work through her problems, and not just giving up because she faced challenges. This line says it all: "Breaking out, breaking the rules, and breaking the cycle." Well done, sir! <3

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:52 May 18, 2023

Thanks, Hannah! I'm honestly not sure why animals occurred to me too, but cows were the initial gut reaction to the prompt. I figured in their view, a nice safe barn and regular milking service was probably much better than the "bad old days" of being wild - which is a view they might take for granted. And so, someone finally questioning it seemed a natural fit. I think the parallels to us humans getting stuck in a rut, forgetting where we came from and why we changed things (and failing to evaluate if our current situation still serves us ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N.V. Duke
12:27 May 17, 2023

Really enjoyed the writing style and a very unique take on the prompt. Well done Michal!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 May 18, 2023

Thanks, Kingsley! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
00:37 May 17, 2023

Cloaked in cowhide, your take on the prompt was to engaging that it felt like it WAS my first rodeo - at least where you were headed. So, the captive, chained to a routine not of its making, imagines anything to be better than the present confinement and runs for the hills, only to realize the convenience stores of the other existence aren't open any more. Time to improvise - if only opportunity presents. Yup, turn the corner and wolves are at the door. Imagine the hunger for freedom that would turn your thoughts to finding opportuni...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:57 May 18, 2023

Thanks, Susan! Definitely a fun one to write :) It was such an interesting thing to ponder and research too. Most of us take the existence of beef and milk for granted, but it comes from somewhere. Same for countless other products - take perfume, for instance. Lots of people like it, but somewhere throughout its history a human had a bizarre idea that "hey, this would be better with whale shit", and now ambergris is worth a fortune. What the world appears to be, and what it actually is (and where we fit in) is endlessly interesting. Thank...

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:59 May 18, 2023

Anytime! What's better than when the feedback is as effective as the story (without a word limit) and reads like an epilogue? Unless you're writing about cows, of course. Then you've got a winner every time! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
13:49 May 14, 2023

Good work, Michal. I thought you were setting up Imogen as a Cassandra figure and a possible tragic end to the adventure. Dangling it and then avoiding it made the conclusion even sweeter.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:56 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Chris! Certainly, though she comes across as antagonistic, she's not entirely wrong. We do things a certain way because it works, because we build on the experience of others. But there's lots of stories out there about following the wisdom of those who came before us. What happens when that wisdom fails us? It's also interesting to explore. Of course Cassandra is a whole other kind of tragedy :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:23 May 14, 2023

A cow, especially a dairy cow seems perfect for this prompt. Considered dumb, and only as valuable as what she can provide, milk and calves. The analogy to people is clear. What do we give up to avoid the 'work of all the anxiety of choice' and to live in safety and comfort. The real world tastes better but also has it dangers, such as wolves. I think it is interesting that the cows had to team up with their natural enemy to escape. Who do humans need to partner with to break out of our stupor and become free? I hope I can be as smar...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Marty! That's a good question, about humans. Maybe we're our own worst enemies - or failing that, maybe we need to make peace with mosquitoes. I think it's an interesting problem because there's rarely an easy answer. Sometimes abandoning the old ways is best, but other times, there's value in sticking to them. And then add to that that everyone has an opinion on it, and things get tangled. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:43 May 13, 2023

A little bit ‘Chicken Run’ and a little bit fable; loved this! Particularly the final imagery of the wolves’ howls and the cows’ moos at the moon :)) the stars bit also reminded me of the two-headed calf poem :’)

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Elizabeth! I've been meaning to dig a little deeper into fables, and this prompt afforded an opportunity. I also like the visual at the end - glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Soumyaa Panddey
15:21 May 13, 2023

Amazing story and such a good way with words to describe it. Loved it!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:00 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Soumyaa! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
18:14 May 12, 2023

Oh, this is a wonderful story! It has a slight fable-like feel to it, but you've done so much more. Such a creative idea and great character development of the herd and the wolves. I was worried this would take a dark turn like every nature show I've ever seen.... and that was a really skillful way of using suspense. I'm glad it had a happy ending, and your closing sentence was brilliant. Beautiful, haunting. It left me feeling very satisfied. I loved it!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:03 May 15, 2023

Thanks, Kristin! I'm glad the suspense worked out :) In nature things probably would have played out differently, but I was partly inspired by videos where a predator is surprised by and terrified of a prey (specifically, I recall a panicked cat sprinting away from a mouse that lunged at it). I suspect most predators aren't particularly daring, they just expect the world to work a certain way - and when it doesn't, it startles them. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
08:44 May 12, 2023

Clarice takes the initiative to break out of the cycle and most of the herd follows her. I found this line interesting - The other young cows near her giggled and agreed, but the older ones ate hurriedly and kept glancing over their shoulders. Just goes to demonstrate how conditioned one becomes over the passage of time. Another inflection point arrives the moment Ramsey and Clarice come face to face and she manages to break out of the cycle again. New alliances are formed out of free will, and her herd is able to moo under the naked sky. ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:45 May 13, 2023

Thanks, Suma! Yes, I suppose it could be a kids story. There's something about animal tales that's suitable for that. "how conditioned one becomes over the passage of time" - this is one of those things that endlessly fascinates me. Depending on context, it can be very good, very bad, or somewhere in between. Our patterns bring order to our world and often reinforce beneficial behaviour. But what's beneficial seems to change with time, doesn't it? How much conflict is there between generations? Yes, a fascinating topic. I appreciate the fe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
06:16 May 12, 2023

Michał, great take on the prompt and well done too. I am one who loves to set a new course and make unlikely alliances; this story spoke to me. LOL. To me this line says it all: " As the wolf lunged for her, it occurred to her that this – this dance of predator and prey, of wolf and cow – was defined by rules too. And perhaps these rules too could be broken. With what might have been her final act, she stepped forward suddenly." Rules are meant to be broken at some points in our lives. Dare to be different. Become your own being. Them...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:00 May 14, 2023

Thanks, Lily! That's all right on. We get stuck in patterns and habits - rules - which probably served us well once. But that can change with time, can't? And then clinging to the old rules becomes maladaptive.

Reply

Lily Finch
02:54 May 14, 2023

Of course, we can change with crime oops, I meant time. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
06:03 May 12, 2023

A very entertaining read, I did a an animal perspective story myself and found it's very easy to be playful and fun with the characters. I enjoyed the dialogue between the characters. I like cranky Imogen, quick to disagree but finding herself joining in anyway. I liked how she had a moment where she looked like she was brought back to her youth (sorry always in a hurry to write these comments with a busy toddler about otherwise I'd find the quote I'm referring to). Thanks for a good read

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 May 14, 2023

Thanks, Lisa! It was a fun one to write, especially the different characters. Yeah, the prompt seemed to fit animal POVs very well. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:07 May 11, 2023

Wow. Reminded me a little of 'Animal Farm,' but with a more technology-fueled twist. Also, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' idea stood out. A lot of meat here. Automation and end product. We drink milk, but at what cost? We eat meat, but we rarely consider how that meat got to a nice little package at the grocery store. Even when we do consider it, we still eat meat and drink milk. This tale is as much an indictment of humanity as it is about the plight of the cows and wolves. Nice piece, Michal. As usual, you come through with a tal...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 May 11, 2023

Yeah, can't deny Animal Farm was an influence. I did enjoy Orwell's works. You're right about the automation and the end product. I've met people who see a burger patty as an off-the-shelf product, and who refuse to consider where it came from, as that would ruin burgers for them. We've turned a whole species of animals into a commodity - that alone is a fascinating thing to ponder. But I wonder if we're not also doing the same thing to ourselves. Have we domesticated humans? Thanks for leaving your thoughts, Del!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
09:55 May 10, 2023

What an unlikely partnership. I’m glad this lovely tale of breaking rules had a family friendly ending, however I suspect that it’s not all smooth sailing.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 May 10, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! Yes, probably right. This seems more like the beginning of an adventure than the end, and indeed I had some trouble closing it off. Our relationships with domesticated animals are endlessly fascinating, if we take a closer look at them, and they seemed like a good fit for the prompt.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:59 May 10, 2023

I wanted to write about ants, or worker bees, for this prompt, but just didn’t have time this week for the research involved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
22:45 May 09, 2023

It first reminded me of Plato's allegory of the cave, then the story became a modern fable, complete with a timeless moral: the differences between mutually hostile species can be solved with a little practical thought. As you say, "it doesn't always go so smoothly," but at least in this (cow and wolf's) tale, Marx's "from each according to their abilities to each according to their needs," works out.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 May 10, 2023

It's funny you mention Marx. I pictured Imogen railing against it in her beratings, but I couldn't settle on "cowmunists" or "commoonists" as her preferred slur, and so the pun didn't make it in. There's something about animal stories on a farm that brings to mind Animal Farm. That's a neat observation about Plato's cave though. That hadn't even occurred to me, but I can see some parallels. Perhaps we are consumed by our daily routines, blinded to other possibilities. Maybe that's why we like leaders and celebrities, as they're a low risk ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
03:05 May 11, 2023

An anti-bovine commie slur would have been a nice touch, but the story is excellent as is. And you're welcome for the feedback, it's always a pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:23 May 15, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 May 16, 2023

Thanks, M. G.! Yeah, that's hard to answer, because for some people, stability *can* be the good life. But of course the flip side is getting stuck in a rut. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.