Unspoken Words

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: Start your story with someone making a vision board.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Holiday Romance

Sally Walkers is a mute young woman who's in love with her neighbor Pete. She doesn't know if he feels the same way as her, having always avoided the conversation, fearing for the worse. She's known how she truly felt towards him since he moved there a year ago. In her living room is a large vision board, decorated with pictures of him and scattered information about his day to day habits. Sally herself thought of the situation as unrequited love. She didn't think she was beautiful enough for him, and thought the way she dressed contrasted with Pete's. While she saw him outside wearing bulky turtleneck sweaters and tan sweatpants, she herself dressed more strictly in button-up blouses under her cardigan sweaters, wearing trousers.

Sally had wanted to ask Pete out on New Year's Day, but her fear of being rejected by him and being inadequate for him caused her to feel even more stifled by the situation than before. As the day drew nearer, Sally continued to watch him from a distance, and occasionally left him anonymous gifts on his doorstep. Then one day, she witnessed Pete leaving out earlier than usual and wondered why. So she followed him. At the airport she saw Pete helping a young lady with her luggage into his car.

She had flowing amber red hair and wore a spaghetti-strapped coral pink dress, a leather black jacket, and brown cowgirl boots. The sight made Sally's heart sink. Her head became cloudy as she left for home. If she had stayed she would've learned Pete's cousin, Lora, was staying with him for a while. Sally cried at home. She felt that her already slim chances were reduced to ashes at the new lady's arrival. So she decided to ask for advice from a friend.

Sherry is a friend of Sally's who she met in a coffee shop. The two had mistakenly gotten each other's orders and when they met to swap their drinks, Sherry became intrigued that Sally couldn't talk. She had studied different languages, but not sign language. Sally had introduced it to her, as her way of speaking, aside from just writing. With a promise to teach her more, Sally and Sherry became close friends. They exchanged phone numbers to stay in touch. It was especially handy in times like these.

Texting Sherry, Sally wrote this:

Sally: Sherry it's terrible!

Sherry: What's wrong Sally?! Are you hurt? You aren't in the hospital, are you?

Sally: No, it's worse! It's Pete. I...I think he's in love with someone else.

Sherry: You think so? Why?

Sally: This morning he went to the airport and I saw him helping a beautiful woman with her luggage.

Sherry: But that doesn't mean he's in love with someone else. Have you tried asking him?

Sally: Of course not. if I could talk to him, I would've asked him out ages ago.

Sherry: Fair point, I'll come over. Hang tight till I get there soon.

After texting Sherry, Sally got in the bathroom to freshen up to pass the time. When Sherry texted she was there, Sally answered the door. Standing before her is a tall woman in her late 20s: she wore square glasses, her hair curly green in two pigtails and eyes teal. Her cheeks dotted in freckles, while she wore a button up checkerboard shirt, and ripped jeans. Sherry steps inside to hug Sally who hugs her back.

"Thanks for having me Sal," Sherry said smiling. "Now then, let's take care of this boy trouble you have together."

Sally could only nod, feeling relief wash over her. She gestures to the couch in her living room if Sherry wants to be seated.

"Sure Sal, thank you," taking a seat, Sherry got comfortable. "Do you have a makeup kit?"

Sally nods as she uses

her hands to ask if Sherry wanted her to go retrieve it.

"Yes please," Sherry replies as she digs through her purse for a mirror and some makeup remover wipes.

Sally got up to get her make-up kit and returned briefly to hand it over.

"Thanks," Sherry responded. "Let's see if we can make you pretty enough that Pete won't even give her a second glance," she chuckles, taking a brush to do Sally's makeup.

After a while of waiting, Sherry was finished with the makeup. Sally cheeks had blush added, her eyes with a thick set of eyeliner, and her lips made fuller with lipstick. Sally almost didn't recognize herself in the mirror, but Sherry had only just begun the process. After doing her makeup, Sherry advises Sally to change into something more romantic for the occasion. Sally follows Sherry to her bedroom: and has an over the knees sweater dress picked out, with wooly tights, and booties.

"This will be perfect to catch his attention," Sherry squeals excitedly.

Sherry offers the clothing items to Sally to change into. After a bit of time Sally looks into a mirror. The only thing now changing was her hair. Sherry looks up different hairstyles for Sally, showing her any that might catch her neighbors attention, when finding a well balanced one. Sherry flatironed Sally's hair, giving her some wavy bangs with the rest pulled into a messy bun. Looking into the mirror, Sally felt impressed by Sherry's work with giving her a new look. She felt extremely embarrassed, but also excited to see how her new look would affect her relationship with Pete.

After they finished up any touches they needed to do, Sally grabbed her phone, and hand in hand with Sherry, walked to Pete's house. It's small, and autumn leaves scattered the yard and roof. Sally is hesitant and clutches her phone tightly feeling anxious, but Sherry reassures her that everything will work out. Looking to Sherry rather than to the house, Sally sighs, her resolved hardening.

Sherry then knocks on the door loudly and footsteps can be heard, as well as voices.

"I'll get it," said a feminine voice.

The door opens to Lora as she greets them with a smile.

"Oh hello," she looks between them, appearing politely.

"Whoa, you really are quite the sight," Sherry commented, as she straightened up her glasses, eyeing Lora up and down.

"Excuse me?" Lora is offended by Sherry's remark, feeling uncomfortable.

Sally is embarrassed as her face turns red adding to her blush. She types on her phone quickly to show to Lora, asking if Pete was home. Lora stares at the two suspiciously, thinking they were scammers, and quickly turns them away.

"Sorry, you have the wrong house," She said, grabbing hold of the door handle. "Please try again, never."

The door shuts firmly. Sally feels the situation is hopeless, and before Sherry can talk her into trying any further, she rushes home slamming the door. A wave of tears trailing down her face. Sherry doesn't give up though, as she bangs loudly on the door. This time Pete answers it, wondering what was going on.

"Umm hello," he asked. "How can I help you?"

"You're a real piece of work Pete," Sherry said crossly. "My girl just finally worked up the nerve to ask you out, and instead this is what you have to show for it. I'm starting to think you're not worth the trouble."

"Hu…Huh?!" Pete is confused by Sherry's show of aggression.

"If that's the kind of people you're into Pete, we don't want anything to do with you!" She shouts, poking her finger into Pete's chest, shoving him back. "The least you can do is be straight with Sally."

"Wa...Wait Sally was here?" Pete, now having heard his neighbor's name come up, is intrigued greatly by the conversation. "Please wait a minute! I don't know what's going on!"

"Pete, are those weirdos still there," Lora called out from his living room, watching a movie.

"Weirdos?" Groaning from a growing headache, he decided to put an end to this confusion once and for all. "Alright enough. Please, come inside and tell me what's going on. I think there may have been some confusion."

"Alright I will," Sherry agrees, stepping inside once Pete steps aside.

Once in, the door closes behind her. She took a seat in one of the arm chairs near the front door, and Pete sat by Lora's side on the couch opposite of the armchair.

"Now what's this about Sally's confession?" Asked Pete.

And so Sherry explains everything to Pete. How she had come hoping to express her love towards him. Meanwhile, Pete and Lora listen in closely to the situation. Lora laughed at some parts, finding it humorous to think she was mistaken for a love interest. Pete sighs, upon further understanding the situation clearly now.

"Sally really wanted this to be perfect," Sherry sadly adds. "I doubt she'll want to come out after a while because of this."

"I'm afraid Sally must be mistaken," Pete said. "Lora here isn't my girlfriend, she's my cousin. She's staying over for the holidays."

"Wait, what?!" Sherry's eyes widened in shock. "Pfft, Sally was jealous of your cousin?

"Hey, I can't help it if I'm gorgeous," Lora retorts proudly.

"Modest much?" Sherry rolls her eyes grumbling.

"Enough, we're still left with a big problem," said Pete, combing his fingers through his hair.

"What problem, all you gotta do is tell Sally it was all a misunderstanding and get together," Sherry urges, wanting Pete to stand.

"The thing is… i don't feel that way about Sally," Pete confessed, shaking his head in dismay.

"Well, she is your neighbor so it's not surprising," Lora said dismissively, fanning herself with her hand.

"If you don't love her then Sally really is doomed!" Sherry, feeling despair sink in, slumps in her chair.

"Maybe there is something I could try," Pete sighs, thinking out loud. "I have an idea."

Sherry sat upright to listen in, as Pete explained what they could do. For the rest of the night Sally remained indoors, watching a movie. She had red puffy eyes from crying. To say she was upset was an understatement, and her so-called friend Sherry, didn't even come to cheer her up. After watching the movie, she decided to go to bed.

The next day, she didn't go out much. She saw Pete's cousin, was still there and bitterly thought of how lucky she was. Sally took down her vision board of Pete, stashing the photos she had of him, in a drawer in her room. While thinking ill of Pete's cousin, Sally didn't notice there was a knock at the door until it grew unreasonably loud. She quickly answered it in irritation when seeing Sherry.

"Sorry about not coming back," Sherry said softly. "I brought gifts."

Sherry showed Sally a bag of chocolates she brought with her. Sally was hesitant to believe her, and was going to close the door on her, but stopped when Sherry put her foot in the door.

"I was gonna come back to check on you, honest Sal," she said, pleading. "I kinda just blew up on him and just didn't want to add to your already upset nature."

Sally could tell how sincerely Sherry was being, and opened the door wide. Feeling grateful, Sherry takes the bag to the living room. Today was New Year's Day and she could tell Sally was really bummed out. But when thinking over the plan Pete had made, she prayed it could give Sally a hope she had lost. Sherry noticed that vision board Sally put up was gone, and only a white board with a few scratch marks from pins was left there.

"I've been thinking," Sherry started to say. "Let's forget that lameo and just have a girl's day."

Sally shrugs a little, not really sure if she could get Pete off her mind. However, with Sherry's help, she could. For the day together: they watched romance movies, went to the arcade, got their nails done, and had lunch at a restaurant near Sally's place. The day went by fast with evening slowly approaching. Sherry then knew it was time to put Pete's plan into action.

"Hey Sally, wanna go for a jog to thin out all that food we just ate?" Sherry asks, as she plays with her stomach showing off her growing pudge.

Sally found Sherry's action really silly and chuckled, liking the idea. She nods, standing to get changed. Sherry gave her a thumbs up, and once Sally was gone, quickly texted Pete that they were on their way. She had got Pete's number after discussing a plan to get Sally happy again. When done, Sally joins Sherry once more wearing a gray hoodie, black sweatpants, and light pink gym shoes. Grabbing her cellphone, Sally texted Sherry to see if she was ready to walk out the door.

"Yeah, we're good to go," Sherry said, and with some assistance, got off the couch.

The two left for an evening jog towards the park in their neighborhood. When they got close to Pete's surprise, Sherry had asked Sally to close her eyes for a special surprise she got her. Curious, Sally complies with the request. Covering her eyes, she let Sherry lead her around. Sherry brought Sally to Pete and Lora, who had prepared a picnic, on a hillside for spotting the fireworks. When getting confirmation they were ready, Sherry told Sally she could remove her hands. Sally laughs a little in anticipation, until seeing Pete and Lora together. The picnic blanket is decorated in cherries, a knitted basket, some food items, and a bag of fireworks. Sally's face flared red in anger, as she glared at the two, then at Sherry for bringing her.

"Now Sal, before you get any angrier please, hear us out," Sherry said apologetically.

Sally scuffs, rolling her eyes as she looks away from Sherry, considering going home when Pete stands up.

"Sally, Sherry told me about your feelings for me," he said, grasping her hands gently. "I had no idea, and I'm so sorry about yesterday. Please let me introduce you to my cousin, this is Lora."

Shock and embarrassed, Sally looks from Pete then to Lora quickly. She types rapidly on her phone, before showing it to them both.

"Lora is your cousin?!"

Pete nods, understanding how she might've got the wrong impression, when he was picking her up.

"Yes, she's here for the holidays," he explained.

"Ciao su," Lora waves smiling.

A wave of fresh tears tugged at Sally's eyes. She crumbles to her knees, stunned by how ridiculous her jealousy probably seemed. Sherry knelt by Sally's side patting her back. Trying hard to fight her tears back, Sally types again on her phone.

"Sherry, I'm so sorry. I thought terrible of you."

"Don't worry about it," Sherry said, grinning.

"Yeah, if anything it's a compliment that you think I'm that good looking," Lora stated, feeling flatter.

Sally couldn't help, but laugh a little as she cried.

"Sally, please don't be sad," Pete rushed to Sally's side, hugging her.

As they all chatted, calming down after the truth was revealed, the sky had darkened enough for the fireworks to begin. One after the other, multicolor fireworks flutter through the sky: a bright orange, a vivid yellow and pink, rouge, and so much more. The sky seems so bright that even the stars dim in comparison to their glow. Pete took the opportunity to light his own fireworks. One was called dragon, and after he lit it burst out of its packaging:roaring through the sky in a hoop of flames. Sally, Sherry, and Lora watched amazed. As the dragon died out it burst into a fizzle of golden sparks. People were starting to gather around, lighting their own fireworks. Everyone, enjoying a good time. Lora and Sally ran around with sparklers, while Sherry and Pete lit more fireworks to roam the sky. By midnight, they had run out of supplies, and were eating the food that had long gone cold. It was then Pete took Sally hand in his.

"Sally, I... I wanted to tell you," he says feeling nervous now, as his forehead was dampened with sweat. "I don't feel the same about you like you feel towards me. But, if you'll give me the chance, I would like to court you."

Sally blush, her cheeks redden as she covers her mouth in awe.

"Now, isn't that something," Sherry said, nudging Lora with her elbow.

"It certainly looks like a fine way to ask a lady out," Lora added.

Sally hugs Pete tightly, nodding eagerly. Pete hugs her back feeling relieved.

"I promise to make you the happiest woman around," Pete declared.

The End.

January 05, 2023 16:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.