It's the Little Things in Life that Make us Happy

Submitted into Contest #106 in response to: Write a story about a character who takes nothing for granted.... view prompt

17 comments

Fiction


Pamela awoke to the bright light-hearted chirping of the charcoal black robins that perched by her window every morning. She sucked in a deep breath of clean spring air, and quietly - before stepping out of bed - she thanked mother nature for bringing life and color to the world, for bringing air, water, and food to the people who lived. She even thanked the animals and plants who sacrificed themselves to support the needs of the people; She apologized for taking their lives to support her own, but - she thought - there was no other alternative.   


Once she finished, Pamela slipped out from under the cotton sheets, stood up from her bed, and walked to the large full body mirror that was placed at the front of her room where she could always access it. 


Then, throwing herself a quick smile, she began talking to herself out loud in front of the mirror. If someone had walked into her room right that second and saw what she was doing, Pamela couldn’t have cared less. In fact, she might’ve been grateful that the person was there to keep her company, and maybe even invite them to have breakfast with her. 


But of course, not one came in. So, Pamela remained alone, talking into the mirror. She started by pointing out to herself how she was thankful for the healthy body that her mother had given her. She was thankful for a complete figure : eyes, nose, ears, legs, arms, hair - you get the point. 


Then, Pamela told herself how lucky she was. How lucky, that she had a healthy and strong body that could take her places, enabling her to do so many things. Once she felt she’d appreciated herself long enough, she gave thanks to the mirror - talking to it as if it were alive - and told it how much she valued its presence and significance. 


For just a second, Pamela waited for the mirror to respond, and when it didn’t, she was grateful for that too because if it had, she might’ve thought herself crazy. 


Walking down the rickety stairs of her house, she slipped her brick red woolen sweater (which she had grabbed from her closet before coming down) over her head. As Pamela made her way down, she nearly tripped over her own feet, stumbling awkwardly down the rest of the stairs. When she finally made it to solid ground, a smile tugged on her lips. 


Just last week, when her brother had come to visit, he had walked down the same flight of stairs and broke his leg, but Pamela, on the other hand, had managed to keep balance and bring herself to safety without so much as a scratch. So, instead of cursing her clumsy feet for causing her to trip, she expressed her gratitude towards them for keeping her upright and was happy they saved her from a detrimental fall. 


Pamela continued along her path to the kitchen. When she entered, she headed to the large white fridge that sat in the left corner of the space. Nonchalantly, she strolled over to it and opened the wide double doors to reveal a fridge packed with a miscellaneous collection of produce, meat, and dairy products. Silently - like she was accustomed to doing - Pamela thanked the house Nanny (which her mother had hired) for doing the groceries the day before and for stocking up the fridge with all her favorite items. 


Then, she pulled open the bottom drawer and picked out a banana. Pamela fiddled the fruit in her hands, observing every attribute of it. The banana was overly ripe, nearly half of the skin had browned, leaving only faded shades of the fresh yellow color it once had. The fruit was soft to the touch, and as she peeled the skin, the sweet aromatic scent of the fruit filled her nose. 


The condition the banana was in might seem odd to some, given that the house Nanny had just went and stocked up the fridge. The Nanny, who herself, had been quite accustomed to buying fresh barely ripe bananas for her own family, had been surprised by the disapproving look she received when she had done the same for Pamela during her first trip on the job. From the on, the Nanny knew better than to pick fresh yellow banana's.


Pamela preferred her banana’s to be overly ripe. She liked and appreciated the imperfection that they had on the surface. She knew that if she didn’t buy the brown bananas, it was not likely anyone else would. If she didn’t buy them, the store would probably throw them out into the garbage the next day, and just like that, the bananas would have gone to waste.


 Pamela definitely did not want that. So, whenever she or the house Nanny would go out to buy groceries, she made sure that they picked up at least one bundle of brown bananas. 


As Pamela grabbed the carton of milk on the left side of the fridge, she grabbed a fine china plate, set the peeled banana on it, and placed the plate on the dining table. 


Then, she took a plastic bowl from the counter, reached for the cereal container, and poured herself a bowl full of frosted cheerios which she then drizzled a cup of milk on. Grabbing a spoon, she set all her food on the dining table and sat down on her favorite chair - the one with a plush cushion on it ( something she really appreciated).


Then, she spooned a couple of cheerios into her mouth, chewing slowly. Paying attention to every bite, Pamela smiled when she noticed that although she’d left her cereal in the milk for longer than usual, it still hadn’t gone soggy. That made her quite happy and made the experience of eating the cereal much more enjoyable.


With her spoon, she cut up the banana into uneven slices and threw them into the bowl, mixing it with her cereal and milk. Once that was done, she placed another spoonful of cereal and milk into her mouth, this time, a slice of banana mixed in too. The sweet flavor of the fruit only accentuated the deliciousness of the meal. With every bite, Pamela was satisfied and content.


As she ate, she remembered inviting friends and family over to her house the other night. She was happy that they were able to make it and delighted that they were willing to spend their evening with her. She’d prepared an extravagant dinner for them, consisting of various delicacies and desserts. However, when they came, nobody seemed to have taken into account how much effort and energy Pamela had put into preparing the feast . Each and everyone of them - regardless of whether they were a friend or a family member - simply sat down and ate, completely taking the meal in front of them for granted. Completely taking Pamela for granted. 


By the time she finished eating, Pamela found herself in tears. Quietly, she set the spoon down quickly, fearful that if she held it a second longer, her hand would no longer have the strength to hold it.


She walked over to the kitchen sink and set her dirty plates down to wash when she heard the ring of a doorbell. Wiping her eyes with her sleeve, she took a deep breath and made her way to the front door. 


Collecting herself one more time, she smoothed out her hair, tucking it behind her ears, and blinked the last bit of tears out from her eyes. Then, Pamela opened the door wide and feigned a smile, ready to greet and welcome whoever it was that came to visit. 


To her surprise, the friends and family that she’d invited over a couple nights before all stood at her doorstep. A couple of them returned her smile while others looked down at their feet, afraid to meet her eyes. 


Pamela’s mother, who was at the front of the group and the closest to her, reached out to Pamela and pulled her into a tight hug. 


“Pamela, dear.” She said, “We’re so sorry that we didn’t thank you the other night for the wonderful meal you prepared for us all. Your father and I were talking about it last night, and we decided that it was absolutely necessary to call everyone back to show you our appreciation for all the hard work you put in to host us as your guests. ”


Everyone else nodded in agreement. 


Pamela’s mother continued, “So, we decided that tonight, your father and I would like to invite you to our house tonight. We’ll do all the cooking and preparation. All you have to do is come over.” her mother looked at her with pleading eyes. 


Pamela felt the dried tears begin to water her eyes once again, and she hugged her mother who smelled like the Granny Smith Apple Pie she ate as a child. 


"Yes, I'd love that." Pamela whispered softly in her mother's ear.


At that moment, she was incredibly grateful, more grateful for that moment than any other moment in her life. She thanked God for blessing her with such a family, one that loved and appreciated her contribution and existence in the world. 


Pamela knew that not everyone was given the privilege of having a complete family that was kind and caring; She was lucky, and like all other things, it wasn’t something she was going to take for granted. 


August 06, 2021 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Annalisa D.
19:49 Aug 09, 2021

You have a lot of really nice descriptions in this story. Through each seemingly simple thing like a banana, the reader gains a lot of character development and insight into the ways Pamela views the world.

Reply

Eve Y
21:12 Aug 09, 2021

Thank you so much for reading and leaving feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ryl J.
03:39 Aug 15, 2021

Oh, this story was absolutely beautiful! I love how, through every descriptions and examples you gave, it really helped us to understand Pamela's personality and her perspective of the world. She seems like such a pure and beautiful soul and I loved reading about her. I especially liked the part with the bananas because it shows how empathetic she is and how she truly doesn't take anything for granted. What a great story. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Eve Y
15:35 Aug 15, 2021

Thank you so much, Ryl! I really appreciate your detailed feedback! It means a lot to me that you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aimee K
11:42 Aug 14, 2021

This is such a nice and positive story. The descriptions are really detailed and it helps to imagine the story clearly.

Reply

Eve Y
13:52 Aug 14, 2021

Thank you, Aimee!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie B
18:11 Aug 12, 2021

Eve, I really enjoyed reading your story. It had a well paced flow and a sweet sentimentality about it. You use your descriptive abilities extremely well. I especially liked the following paragraph you wrote: "Walking down the rickety stairs of her house, she slipped her brick red woolen sweater (which she had grabbed from her closet before coming down) over her head. As Pamela made her way down, she nearly tripped over her own feet, stumbling awkwardly down the rest of the stairs. When she finally made it to solid ground, a smile tugged on ...

Reply

Eve Y
23:24 Aug 12, 2021

Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed the story and liked the descriptions that I included. I hope to write more stories in the future! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
14:34 Aug 12, 2021

Always show gratitude. If you think positive, positive things will happen to you. That's the law of universe. And you sculpted this law so beautifully in your story. One's good acts are never lost. It's a very inspiring story with detailed features. Great Work Eve!! I totally enjoyed this. Though there are some punctuation and spelling error you might like to proofread and edit for example- From the on, the Nanny knew better than to pick fresh yellow banana's. It should be-- From then on, the nanny knew better than to pick fresh yellow ...

Reply

Eve Y
23:22 Aug 12, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my story! I really appreciate your attentiveness and for pointing out my grammar errors. There's always room to improve. :)

Reply

Keya J.
02:06 Aug 13, 2021

You can do this Eve! I'll be waiting for more amazing stories!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dimi Tra
07:49 Aug 10, 2021

Your descriptions are so detailed, as if it were a " photo- story". I was there, with Pamela, waking up to the sounds, the light, looking at the mirror, stumbling to the old stairs, and so on. You made nice contradictions, not only in the appearance of things ( such as " light- hearted" vs "charcoal black", and so on) but as well on the characters ( her vs brother's attitude) and the interpretation of the others ( how she experienced the light hearted way they consumed her food vs their realization later on). The way she chose her bananas ha...

Reply

Eve Y
15:57 Aug 10, 2021

Thank you so much for your detail and in depth response! I'm glad that you were really able to picture the story in your head as you were reading because that's what I was going for. :) I really appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to the story. Have a great day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cannelle L
15:28 Aug 09, 2021

This story is so happy and positive. I smiled almost through the whole thing. I love that it ended with a happy note. It's really easy to read and goes so well with the theme. Really great job!

Reply

Eve Y
15:39 Aug 09, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Honestly, I feel like some of the stories I've been writing haven't been all that happy, so I decided to change things up a bit in this one. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza Entwistle
01:54 Aug 09, 2021

This story was sweet and easy to read, with a message in the writing that it wouldn't hurt people to consider more often. I noticed that there were a few typos (another proofreading is always beneficial). I enjoyed reading this; very well done!

Reply

Eve Y
01:58 Aug 09, 2021

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed reading, and I'll be sure to check back on the typos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.