0 comments

Fiction

‘I normally wake up this way…With no remembrance of what has happened. As if the light inside me turned off and I woke up again.’ I thought to myself waiting for something. I didn't know exactly what, but I knew that it was time to sit still. 

Again and again, with the same routine as the man with the brown carpet-colored coat approached her. Behind the bars of hollowness, I felt the need to understand again, but instead of a question I just stared at the odd-looking man and his head ushered her to the beautiful bones covered in silks and the rings of what looked like cotton. He finally spoke with a dry tone, “I'll give you time to dress. Here you go.” He reached out beyond the metal covered in fuzz and handed me what looked like a deformed star. 

Putting the object down I looked back over at my bones and picked the shiny pale rose structure. Slipping it over the ball that was my head recognized that it fits like it was meant for me. Walking over to the white rings I noticed I was heavy looking down at my blocks. Finally seeing the bits of grey under my left leg. ‘Unusual… am I supposed to have these.’ I looked back and continued my short journey tucking the ring under the pale rose softness. Making sure I was done I looked towards the misshapen star and stood it to the wall in front of me taking a rather stiff seat on the floor. “Ouch…” I looked at the brown fuzz below me and whispered, “You look more comfortable than you are.” 

What I assume to be me was the wonderful face I was greeted with in this star. My hair was already done. It was quite solid I believe. I ran my last three fingers along the shininess using my last two ‘U’ shaped ones to keep the circle at the top of my head in place. ‘Hmm… Is it always this solid?’ I thought as I gave myself a second glance noticing the grey marks again just under my chin on my right side. ‘Well, I match?’ Behind what my facial grey looked like I noticed a few shiny objects in the cage in front of mine. Looking behind me in a whip I saw that one of the shiny things was now in the hand of the same man as before. “Ready?” He asked. I stood back on the blocks and walked towards the man who was now opening the fuzzy bars.

 “You should walk lightly you don't want to hurt yourself again” pointing at the grey on my leg. I looked down showing off the mark

 “Did I do this?” I asked curiously looking back into the eyes of the man. He nodded “Yes coming off your platform.” 

“My Platform?” 

“Here.” He continued placing the shiny object on my solid top. I heard a small click. With a questioning look I took a second to see where the object went but using my three fingers again I felt it on the circle. At the same time as I was feeling my new pointy and shiny object, I heard a familiar ping. It felt homey. My head tilted as I closed my eyes and had a flash of what looked like above, but as I opened my eyes there was no above it was just fuzz again. Running my hand along the bars next to me I noticed my small ends to the length connected to the silky pale rose wouldn't move. 

“Do you remember?” the man said. My head snapped back up. 

“I remember you, Max,” I said as he gave me a smile. “You’re my keeper.” He had a wide grin that spread from one ear to the other and small dark eyes. His clothes fit loosely and he was easily five times wider than me as well.

“You usually remember me first. Come on.” He stated bluntly as he walked away then looked back at my still figure quickly showing a ticking silver from within his coat “Follow me we haven't much time.”

“Wait,” I said now making heavy noise from the blocks underneath me. “I’m not as fast as you these are heavy,” I said pointing down. Nevertheless, I gave it my best shot to keep up with Max; I didn't know what I was late for but I knew it was important… I felt it was important. Looking around as I walked through the emptiness around me, everything was narrow. I could see that Max ahead barely fit and he also blended in. I could only tell it was him from his top. 

Looking around as I followed the man I noticed there were more fuzzy boxes. They looked very similar to my cage and had more shiny objects like the one in front of my space. 

I paused in front of what looked like another long way of fuzzy boxes while my newish companion continued forward. Looking down a different hall I feel a rush of energy. Closing my eyes while I listened for the pings again, but they didn't come. I looked once more down the hall and saw the same person I saw in the in the jagged star. She had no grey and she was coming at me fast. I reached out to touch her but failed as she became like dust. I took a large breath and when my eyes opened they seem a little heavier with a new memory I hadn't discovered before. Now looking back for my companion and not seeing him and not hearing his ticks I raced towards the direction that I saw him go towards. 

“I'm going to be late.”  

I didn't exactly know where I was going but the blocks under me did and with every step, I felt I could hear the soft sound of ticks. Again and again, the same routine with a new memory as I approached a different space. It was much different from the space Max kept me in. The pale rose color was everywhere. Below my feet partnering a random pattern of jagged stars like the one Max gave me. ‘He got it here.’ I thought. 

I still heard soft ticks believing that Max was either looking for me or running behind me. The space below me was smooth and as I continued to look around I saw a small round platform. It’s mine. I know it's mine. I began my journey to what seemed like the center of the new light-colored cage almost falling noticing that my blocks don't work the same here as they do on the fuzz. I took another step and hit my leg underneath me again where the original grey was. I did this here I made myself grey here. A little heavier. I remembered. 

The platform before me had a small silver-looking pole. Like the ones for my cage but it was bare and smooth. ‘What was I supposed to do with this?’ 

“Look at your feet.” I heard Max say as he approached me. 

“My feet?” I looked towards the space below me noticing my feet. “My feeeett,” I remember feet. “My feet suck they are slippery.”

“That is some foul language for someone who doesn't remember their name,” Max responded with a chuckle. I hummed looking at him and realizing that I in fact did not know my name. While it wasn't a big concern I looked back down at my feet rocking to my heels a bit to look at the ends. 

“Well, they do look like blocks.” I continued noticing a hole in my right foot but not my left. “Max hold my hand.” He obliged and as I handed it to him I could feel that it was perfectly molded to fit this position. Giving Max a double take, I could see he was watching me process because I said ‘hand.’ They were so stiff. 

I looked back down at my main concern and shifted my weight to my right leg. I bent my left leg and place my foot back on the floor before shifting my weight again to try to do the same to the other side. “My right leg won't bend.”

“Correct,” Max said to me kindly. He looked quite creepy but he was very kind. 

“Max, why are you here?” I asked. 

“Well. The audience thought you needed a companion.” He responded as he pointed to the space above. I followed his gaze and again was disappointed to see there was nothing once again. Looking back at Max he was staring at his silver tick from his coat again. I looked down once more to see how I was dressed, ‘My tutu was much nicer than Max’s coat.’ I thought. 

“My tutu,” I whispered as I blinked a couple of times and looked back at Max. “Max help me up.” Taking one step up on the platform before placing my right foot at an angle on the short silver and standing on it. It fits perfectly. It was made for me. I smiled looking down “Thank you, Max.” 

“No problem misses I’ll see you soon,” he says while walking off. 

I stood in the soft darkness and heard the pings again. Again and again the routine of my life. I posed into position bringing my left leg behind me into an attitude. My left foot was above my head as I tried to reach it with my arms I conducted into the perfect oval above my crown. The space above lifted and I could see the light I remembered before. I spun to the beautiful pings and my memory came to life. These pings held my memory of life, but it was just soft music to my audience Sofia and Charlie. 

“Sofia look.” I smiled hearing my owners. “Max is taking care of Belle.” 

“Charlie, do you really think Max looks after Belle? He's a doll.” I smiled at the conversation knowing Max did in fact take care of me. He makes sure I get back to my space after I perform and as I change he tries to crank the music from the inside to help my memory but it’s always late.  I was his favorite jewelry box he had been put into. I was also the only one he was put into but the saying was still nice to hear. 

“Belle is a princess ballerina she doesn't need to be protected she has super princess powers.” Sofia restored. She was my favorite. As Sofia grabbed her shiny objects and yelled for help to put them on I slowed down and the space above became dark again. Max helped me off my platform and back to my space. 

“I’ll see you, tomorrow Belle.” He said as he closed the door and walked off. No ticking coming from him anymore our important hour was done. 

Again and again, my routine as a jewelry box ballerina. 

July 28, 2023 05:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.