0 comments

Adventure Fiction Friendship

It had been storming for a fortnite in the port town and by the time the weather had cleared Nelson’s friend had been gone for almost a month. That's when Nelson decided to go out and look for him. Spending the rest of his money on a small sailboat. The wind was still strong when he left the town and navigation was never Nelson's strong point. 


He made it about 10 knots before the wind took him away. Heading west instead of east the wind threw Nelson and his vessel around. Cold air and rain hit his face as he tried to steer the boat to the west. Knowing that there should be an island not far from where he thinks he is. The wind roars around him with no control over the sailboat all he can do is pray that he and the boat will survive. Nelson saw an island on the horizon luckily in the direction of the wind.


As Nelson got closer he saw a light going in and out of Nelson's perspective. A lighthouse! 


There had to be people on the island thought Nelson. Hoping they will be kind enough to shelter him from the storm. 


Landing on the island was easier than expected all he had to do was dodge a few rocks and he was on the unknown island’s dock. The only other boat on the dock was a row boat. There was a dirt path leading to what Nelson assumed was a way to the lighthouse. Harsh winds hit his face making it hard to breathe. The muddy path whines and bends around the trees. The light is shown in the sky and the downpour and darkness it was a welcoming sight. 


Nelson followed the trail until it led him to the lighthouse keeper’s cottage. Knocking on the door there was no response so he knocked again. A voice came from the inside “ Hold your horses.” The voice was deep and ragged. The door swung open there stood an older gentleman. 


His hair and beard were mostly grey and he wore a white shirt with wrinkles in it. “ What do you want? Who are you? How'd you get here ?” he berated Nelson with questions. “ Boat, Now may I come inside, please,” Nelson said putting on his best polite voice for the grumpy old man. “Fine “The man stepped aside for Nelson. Waving a hand for Nelson to follow him to the table that lay in the corner of the room.


“ So what are you doing here?”


“The storm brought me here. It's quite bad out there.” 


“Seem like it. You’re not from Falkland right?” 


“No, that was where I was trying to go.” 


“You’re a little bit off, lad. That couple of miles away from here. Why‘d you want to go there?” 


“I'm looking for my friend.”


“Why are you looking for him? Must be for something important.”


“He left me to go find the Great Kraken.” 


“Ha, that's just a child's story.” 


“That’s what I think too. I used to believe that it was real. We spent so long looking for it. I started to lose faith and my friend wanted to prove me wrong. That's why he left.” 


The old man sighed “That’s why I haven't had a friend in years.” 


“ Ain't you lonely?”


“No, friendships are just like the wind. It can be weak or strong but it never stays.”


“May I stay the night, please? I’ll be gone by dawn.”


“Sure, why not you’re already here anyway.”


Nelson left a little bit before dawn but before he left the old lighthouse keeper gave him a map to Falkland and a compass. With that Nelson was on his way. The wind was much better than it was yesterday. 



The sailboat gently glides through the water. Nelson felt at peace being by himself with just him and the great blue sea. He closed his eyes feeling the breeze on his face and through his hair. The ship gently rocked against the waves. It was straight to Falkland Island so Nelson spent the time looking at the ocean. Wondering where his friend might be if he was okay or not. 


Docking easily with The Mary Lou (that’s what Nelson decided to name the sailboat) Nelson saw a young lady crying at the beginning of the dock. She looked up at him when he was walking towards her. “Hello, good sir”. She wiped away her tears with her sleeve. “Are you okay miss? Nelson asked bending down to meet her eyes.


“I'm fine, mister thank you for asking.” 


“Are you sure? “ 


“Yes, what brings you to our island, sir?”


“I'm looking for my friend?”


“Your friend?” 


“Yes, have you seen him ?” 


“Maybe I’ve been sitting by the docks for weeks.” 


“Why?”


“I lost my friend too.” the wind blew moving her hair away from her face. “She died. We used to hang out by the docks all day long as children. I thought staying here would make me feel less alone and would remind me of happier times but it just reminded me that she’s gone.”


“I'm sorry for your loss.” 


“What did your friend look like?”


Nelson described his friend and gave his name. The young girl’s eyes lit up with recognition. 


“Yes yes, I did see him a few weeks ago. Said he was looking for The Great Kraken for his friend. You I suppose he was talking about.”


“When did he leave?”


“A couple of days after I talked to him. He stopped here to resupply and then he went on his way. I thought I heard him talking about going to the Beltran isle.”


“Thank you. I realize that I never got your name?” 


“Cordelia, I'm happy to help.”


“Would you like to come with me to find him Cordelia?”


“No, I'm afraid I can't. I have a friend to mourn for.”


“Oh okay, well I wish you the best then.” 


“I'll see you around. Oh, I uh didn't catch your name either.” 


“Nelson”


“I'll let him know that you were looking for him if he comes back.” 


Nelson gave his thanks and walked back to The Mary Lou. Before he could leave Cordelia came back and gave him a raincoat and some money. 


Nelson was 50 knots away when the wind stopped leaving Nelson in the middle of the sea. He figured he was probably at least 20 knots north of Beltran Isle. The water became unmoving and Nelson felt so alone. He didn't know what to do normally his friend would come up with an idea or make a joke. But there was nothing and it sat heavy on his lonesome heart.


Hours passed but still, the wind did not return. Mary Lou was drifting in the middle of the sea all alone. Nelson played on the ground looking up at the sky thinking that maybe this wasn't worth it. Maybe he should have stayed in Falkland or the port town. What happens if Nelson finds his friend and he doesn't want to see him? What will he do? Where will he go? Is there anyone who can replace his friend? That can make him feel less alone like his friend did. 


Nelson was jolted out of his thoughts by the rocking of the boat. Looking over the side of Mary Lou Nelson saw large ripples in the water that were almost waves. And it looked like there was something big under the water. A big shadow that seemed to circle the boat. Nelson felt a sense of dread as he grabbed a paddle for a makeshift weapon.


Just right of Nelson, a tentacle shot up through the water. The Great Kraken they had found it after all this time Nelson thought and his loneliness was replaced with happiness and wonder at the magnificent creature in front of him. The wind picked up again and the sailboat began to move. Nelson would find his friend and he would tell him what he found even if it took forever.


March 08, 2024 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.