The Christmas disaster

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who causes a huge problem.... view prompt

5 comments

General

The Christmas carols filled my ears as I woke up on Christmas eve. I ran to the window and saw the entire front yard covered with snow. I quickly changed into some warm clothes and ran downstairs for a good breakfast of plum cake, pancake, and various other delicacies that I was fond of. I was greeted by my entire family as it was my birthday. I just always couldn't believe that my birthday was on Christmas Eve, that was the best time of the year. I ate as quickly as possible, enjoying each and every moment of this day's start. After having the most delicious meal anyone could ask for, I went back to my room. Changing into my new clothes and after wearing my favorite sweater over it, I walked through the front door with my elder sister and brother. Before they could really look in my direction, I made two big snowballs and threw them right on their faces. I knew they were angry, so I ran for my life. They started to throw snowballs in every direction, aiming to hit me, but their efforts were in vain. After a good snowball fight, we went back to the house for a simple lunch because we needed to be hungry before the big feast at night. After having lunch, my entire family went shopping. I really wanted to go to the pet store because I was about to buy my birthday present, which was a dog. Me and my father entered the store and saw different animals locked up in cages. My father preferred birds as he loved Harry Potter but I persuaded him to buy a dog. So, when I walked out of the store, I had a small Maltese dog, tied in a leash and walking along with me. When I got home, my entire family started cuddling the poor creature. It was my birthday present but everyone seemed to act like it was their pet. After each and everyone had the chance to touch the dog, I took it upstairs to my room. I removed it's leash and I placed it on its bed. The moment its body touched the bed, it slept. I changed into some nice clothes so that I would look formal for the feast. When I went to the hall, I saw a long table with many chairs. Dishes were lined up on the table and candles were placed to light it up. It looked so heavenly like it was made for gods. I was so anxious that I couldn't wait. I waited along with the other family members for the guests to arrive at the door. After all of them had arrived, we led them to the divine table. But the sight which I saw was like somebody had had a food fight. Food was splashed on the walls and all the cutlery was lying on the floor. And at the top of the table, I saw my dog which looked very disgusting as it was the one which caused all this mess. I knew that I would be grounded for this, as the dog was my responsibility. We apologized to all the guests and they left with disappointment. I hung my head in shame as all my family's faces were faced towards me. Then, my dad shouted," You are grounded, young man. Now, go and give that dog a bath." I did as I was told to do. Then, I was so tired that I went to sleep. The next day, I woke up. After I saw the condition of my room, I nearly fainted. My clothes laid down on the floor with holes, the pages of my school books were all torn and my bed was covered with feathers from the pillows. I stared at my dog with angry eyes. It seemed so calm that it just stood there licking its palm. Then there was a knock on the door. I knew that I wasn't 'The Flash' and I can't clean this place in seconds. So, I just told, "Come in." It was my mom. She looked at my room's mess and was shocked. Her eyes moved from me to the dog. Then she said, "We need to talk right now." I followed her downstairs and the whole family was waiting for us down there. I looked at my parent's faces and knew this was going to get ugly. They started their argument with me. They said, "You wanted a dog and we allowed you to have one. You have shown us that you can't take care of the dog. Because of you, we are the worst family to host a feast. Something has to be done with you or the dog." I just said, "You can return the dog and keep me locked up for the holidays starting from now". After saying that, I went to my room. I cleaned the mess and wore the clothes that weren't torn. I went downstairs and handed the dog and the leash to my father. Then, I stayed locked up in my room. This is the worst birthday and Christmas of my life, I told myself. At night, I opened the door so that I could sneak into the kitchen and have some leftover food from the Christmas feast. When I opened the fridge, I saw all the food of the feast. There were no leftovers. I turned and saw a bunch of people which included my family. They shouted, "Surprise! Merry Christmas." I was happy that they didn't have the feast without me. I chatted with the others, had a good feast and even got really good presents. When my parents gave me their present, it was another dog. I said, "Not another dog." They all laughed. Family time is something that I now crave for. This is totally the best time of the year for me. I planned on naming this dog 'Mischief' as a reminder of the Christmas which I had this year.

May 14, 2020 07:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Swift Video
10:18 Jun 14, 2020

This is the best story so far for this topic. Keep typing. I am confident you can type great stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:39 May 24, 2020

Great work. Love the plot and ending. Simple and clear. Keep going.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anja Z
21:33 May 20, 2020

Hi good day... Great job on the story. Just try and work on your pacing in paragraphs so that the story flows fluently. Also and this is only from a personal perspective I would like to have had the child be sad when she handed over the dog , and not just did it without any emotion. Great job keep on doing what you do.

Reply

10:40 May 24, 2020

Thank you and I will surely try to apply some effort on the pacing in paragraphs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:35 Sep 14, 2020

Awesome. Keep typing stories. I don't mean to be rude but I think you improve the spacing in the paragraphs. Thank you for the amazing story though!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.