Something Came Up

Submitted into Contest #253 in response to: Start your story with a character canceling their plans.... view prompt

41 comments

Fiction Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Something Came Up


You won’t make it home for dinner tonight.


Bet if anyone could choose how they'd want to die, they’d choose to die in their bed, in their sleep, wouldn’t they? Sure, anyone would. Granted, they'd leave a tangled mess for someone else to deal with. But what the hell, they'd be dead. Not their problem anymore.


Maybe, at some point, if someone'd live long enough, they may become more mature and have a lawyer write up a will. They might even name an executor, make bequests, and ignore all those relatives who are hovering with their hands out. Anyone may leave their fortune, such as it might be, to stray cats? Why not? But people don’t get to choose when they die, do they? At least most don’t.


You did. You had a choice. Vinnie asked you, “Cement boots or the trunk?”


At the time, your hands and feet were taped to a chair, your mouth stuffed with a dirty rag, duct tape keeping the rag in place. You shook your head at his question. Hoping he’d understand your cries to not do this. Your attempts to claim your innocence. Your pleas to remind him of your friendship. But he chose to misinterpret your pathetic grunts and moans.


“Okay, I see you want me to decide. Fine.” He sighed dramatically. “The trunk it is.”


The trunk is more cruel. For here in the dark, you have time. A few hours, a little more, a little less. Time to think. To wonder who accused you and why? Time to look back over your life and wonder where or when or how you went wrong. Time to think about Angela and hope she will forgive you for not coming home to dinner tonight, or ever again. Time to hope. To write scenarios in your head how someone will come and rescue you.


Time and hope.


But you know the car is being watched. You don’t blame the ones watching They don’t know you're in here. They just know to stay long enough and watch. So, hoping is a waste of time, though time is the only thing you have.


You remember when you were a kid and didn’t know better. Back when you were given free cokes and the promise of a dollar later. All you had to do was stay up and watch. Make sure that nobody touched that car. The one you and your friends were watching. All of you felt so important. Were drunk on the thought of earning a whole dollar just sitting there, past your bedtimes and watching a stupid old car. It was how you, how all of you, go suckered in. Easy money, a sure thing, a pat on the head.


You know there are kids out there now, maybe, perversely your own kid. Watching. Keeping anyone, cops, salvage fanatic, beach combers, dog walkers, everyone out of the surf. You bet they get more than a dollar these days. But they're just as starry eyed when they get that smile, that nod.


They put you in this trunk at low tide. You know it'll take tops six long, agonizingly long hours before hightide will completely wash over the car and drown you. And each time the water washes in, you will try to lift your head and hope the wave will roll back enough for you to take one more breath. Just one more breath.


Though you know it’ll be useless, you will do it anyway.


But until then you don’t think, try not to think about what will come. you can’t help but think about what went wrong. Try to imagine who of your friends, your enemies would do such a cruel thing and why. Your mind is like a bowl of buttered pasta, all slippery. You can't hold on to any one thought long enough to find an end.


Why do you bother thinking?


Because you have nothing else to do. It’s the only thing you can do.


They hogtied your ankles and wrists together. Can’t kick at the lid. Can barely move. The rag, that smells of motor oil is absorbing every last bit of saliva, whatever moisture is left after you pissed your pants. Oh yeah, they had a real good laugh about that. Maybe one day, they will be in this spot and remember all the times they laughed when some poor sap peed on himself.


All you can do is wonder who. Who singled you out? Who is the judas among your … what? No, not friends.


How much time has passed? Do you hear water slapping at the undercarriage? Has it been that long? How much longer do you have?


Who will miss you? Your kids? Were you a good enough father to them? How will they remember you? Will they remember the good times? Were there enough good times? Did you go to enough of their games? Watched their eager tries to hit that ball. Did you praise them enough just for being? Or will they just remember the fact that you didn’t come home one night? Does Angela love you or is she already moving on? What made you think that? Of course, she loves you, will miss you, won’t she? Has she tried to give you subtle messages that you didn’t want to hear? Have you been too distant from her? Were you trying too hard to protect her and the kids from the fringes of your life?


You had tried to stay away from Vinnie and his business. Had begged him to cut you off, let you go, let you go legit. You thought he’d honor that. You wonder what you had been accused of. He hinted at some stuff. You weren't listening too closely. Just couldn't believe he'd hauled you in. He made vague comments about double crossing and skimming. As if! But he never flat out said what your crimes were. Did he just need you or someone like you out of the way? Is he after Angela? Damn! Your stomach turns at the thought alone! He wouldn't, she wouldn't, would they?


You feel water!


It's cold, so cold. The shoulder you're lying on is colder and feels wet. Fingers try to clutch at the cold, wet carpet fibers. The cold is seeping into the cloth of your pants, freezing your bare feet, weighing down your head.


Somebody!


You try to kick at the trunk lid, but all you can do is scrape your bare feet against the rough, wet carpet. You try to sit up but can’t get any leverage. All you end up doing is wear yourself out. Snort salt water. Cough fruitlessly. Try to pant desperately through your nose.


Come on, man, get real. It’s too late to be scared, to panic. What can you do? This is a one-way street. Nobody is coming. Nobody will have remorse or pity. Get over yourself.


No, you won’t be home for dinner ever again.





May 31, 2024 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
21:19 Jun 19, 2024

Oooohhh!! That last line puts a cap on this great story! Once again you show us that we never know what we're gonna get with your stories!! You're so prolific in your writing. Very well done as always! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:06 Jun 19, 2024

Thank you, Daniel. The prolific part comes from having nothing else to do. 😏 The creative part has gotten me in plenty of hot, or at least Luke warm water, many times. Thanks for reading my stories

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:18 Jun 20, 2024

Sometimes, it's fun to jump into the hot water...lol!! I hear ya on having nothing else to do, but you're using that time to create these wonderful stories so....

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:10 Jun 20, 2024

🙂😊😊 Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
15:05 Jun 19, 2024

It had a kind of '30's flair to it that I really loved. Good job, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:10 Jun 19, 2024

Thank you! It came from my heart. 😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
14:19 Jun 13, 2024

Good one, Trudy! Right up my alley.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:09 Jun 13, 2024

In that case, I challenge you to come up with a better Cinderella. (Not that hard to do, I'm sure) :-) Thanks,TE

Reply

TE Wetzel
16:44 Jun 13, 2024

Synopsis: While Cinderella carries out her various household duties on a daily basis, she is secretly self-training in Japanese Samurai swordsmanship and saving every penny she can hoard. Eventually she purchases a razor sharp Hatorri Honzo katana and beheads both step-sisters with a single swing of the blade. She then disembowels her step-mother, slowly, takes her money to purchase her own clothing and grabs an Uber to the ball, where she is free to stay past midnight or do whatever the hell she wants from that point forward. Prince Charmin...

Reply

TE Wetzel
16:45 Jun 13, 2024

I think I nailed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
16:48 Jun 13, 2024

LOL! Yeah, definitely more Grimm than Disney. Cindy-san is a force to be reckoned with, will take no prisoners, except the trembling Prince charming, and makes him her slave. Love it, Go for it. :-)

Reply

TE Wetzel
16:57 Jun 13, 2024

You gotta picture the standard Cinderella image only she has two crossed katanas in back-mounted scabbards.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:00 Jun 13, 2024

On horseback, of course, long blond tresses flowing behind her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:29 Jun 11, 2024

I would love to know who the narrator is. He (or she) seems to be enjoying the situation.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:58 Jun 11, 2024

Thank you, Christine for reading my story. It was not my intention to make light of his situation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:01 Jun 10, 2024

Whatever he'd done he did not deserve this. I felt for him. So emotionally caught up and hoping someone may save him. Oh, dear. No happy ending. Gripping read. Well written. Just a little point. Haha. Trunk is American. Boot is English. I'm used to boot. I visualized a big wooden chest until the MC talked about a car being in water. Oh, my goodness. The visualization changed with a sharp jolt! Is there some way you could hint it is a car trunk in other versions of this great story? It's not a biggy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:09 Jun 10, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn. Thanks for the feedback. Yup, I'm aware it's boot there and trunk here. Couldn't very well have given MC the choice of "Cement wellies or the boot" Then none of the Yanks would have known what I was talking about. "Wha-did-she say? Wha's a wellie and why's he getting kicked. And how's that deadly? Forgetaboutit." LOL We'll just have put up with having almost the same language. Would that work?

Reply

22:15 Jun 10, 2024

LOL indeed. So funny. As I said - not a biggy. The visualization blip was all in my mind. Like changing gears with a clunk.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
20:19 Jun 10, 2024

This was a very interesting read that takes a unique approach - especially to the prompt Trudy and I really enjoyed it. Something came up and something went down, as in a trunk with dead weight. Another well written piece. I'm a fan!

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:45 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, John. Sometimes my mind takes a left turn and other times if goes elsewhere. :-) Thanks for your wonderful feedback.

Reply

John McPhee
21:46 Jun 10, 2024

LOL Trudy, just as long as you use your signals. I once wrote a newspaper column about the only time people use signals is when they are going straight and not turning. I got a lot of replies to that one!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:59 Jun 10, 2024

I bet you did! And probably from people who natter on and on why their blinker is on. I can promise you that I won't use mine. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
12:39 Jun 10, 2024

Trudy, well done! What a choice: “Cement boots or the trunk” - the trunk it is! What a “ride”!

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:14 Jun 10, 2024

Thanks, Geir. Um, yes. The ultimate plan cancellation. Porr fellah.

Reply

Geir Westrul
16:54 Jun 10, 2024

All his plans, washed away

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:55 Jun 08, 2024

I’m such a fan of your work, never knowing what type of story you’ll treat us to this time!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:03 Jun 08, 2024

:-) Thanks, Hannah. I never do either.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Aletheia
18:44 Jun 08, 2024

I love the theme of "hmmm. What series of decisions did I make to get me to this point?" There's almost a humor in "Probably shouldn't have crossed that mob boss. I see that now." I like the glibness with which the omniscient narrator is like "Welp. We're here now." A pretty cool way to handle a dark topic.

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:46 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks you, Krislyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Meyers
15:36 Jun 07, 2024

This is the first time I've read someone comparing the mind to a bowl of buttered pasta. What imagery. A terrible way to die, but a great story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:47 Jun 07, 2024

Thank you Kim.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harland Chambers
02:02 Jun 05, 2024

Another gripping tale from Trudy! Even though there was an inevitability to the situation, the reader is drawn into his thoughts and fears to the end. Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:12 Jun 05, 2024

Thanks,Harland. I admit it's tad gruesome and drastic reason to miss dinner. 😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Denney Owen
13:54 Jun 02, 2024

Wow, what a chilling and intense read! Makes you think about how quickly things can change and how we deal with the choices we've made. Really powerful stuff, and so well written.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:57 Jun 02, 2024

Thank you, Denney. So glad you read my story. Your praise is much appreciated.

Reply

Denney Owen
22:20 Jun 02, 2024

It's a pleasure to read your work Trudy your a fantastic writer.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:22 Jun 02, 2024

Aw, thanks. :-)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
03:19 Jun 02, 2024

So I'm thinking: He's going to die, he's going to die. And die, he did. I think of this sometimes: whatever you can imagine has almost certainly happened somewhere sometime. Your stories are so easy to follow, Trudy. What a blessing after reading so many head-scratchers.

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:33 Jun 02, 2024

This is me, trying very hard not to be disrespectful of others. :-) I know you remember the old adage KISS. My mother said to me (often) just act normal, that's crazy enough. :-) Thanks, Joe. Your praise means a lot. (ps, just posted number 3 - wink)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:29 Jun 01, 2024

Yeah, definitely less peaceful. Your range of genre is truly remarkable.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:03 Jun 01, 2024

LOL Thanks, Mary Well, why else would you cancel dinner, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.