A Whisper in the Dark

Written in response to: Your character wants something very badly — will they get it?... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Mystery

Olivia had always been drawn to quiet places. In a world of noise and chaos, silence was her refuge, and tonight, the library was her sanctuary. With its worn wooden floors and rows of aging books, the space felt like a time capsule, removed from the rush of the outside world. It was well past closing time, but she’d slipped inside unnoticed, retreating to her favorite corner near the back. The rain pattered softly against the tall windows, a soothing lullaby that drowned out the thoughts swirling in her mind.

Her job was suffocating her, but she didn’t know how to walk away. Working as an assistant to Natalie Thompson, a high-powered executive in a cutthroat corporate world, had been exciting at first. But three years in, the shine had worn off. The long hours, the endless demands, the feeling of being invisible — it all weighed on her. Olivia had tried to convince herself that this was temporary, that she was building a career, but lately, every day felt like a battle just to keep her head above water.

The library was her escape. Here, surrounded by the musty smell of old books and the hum of fluorescent lights, she could forget, at least for a while.

She turned the page of the book she’d been pretending to read, her focus drifting as her thoughts spiraled. She hadn’t noticed the soft voices at first, just beyond the next row of shelves. But now, they pulled her from her reverie. She strained to listen, curiosity getting the best of her.

“I’m telling you, it’s the only way,” a man’s voice said, low and insistent.

Olivia frowned, tilting her head to catch more of the conversation. She didn’t recognize the voice, but something in the urgency of it made her sit up straighter.

“I don’t know if I can do it,” a second voice responded — a woman’s, hushed and uncertain. There was a tremor in her tone, as though she was wrestling with something heavy, something dangerous.

Olivia’s breath caught in her throat. She knew that voice.

It was Natalie.

Olivia’s stomach tightened. She wasn’t supposed to be here. This was a private conversation, something she had no business overhearing. But before she could gather her things and leave, Natalie’s next words froze her in place.

“He gave me my start. I owe him,” Natalie said, her voice soft but heavy with conflict.

Olivia leaned forward, her heart pounding in her chest. Who was she talking about? And what did she owe?

“Loyalty is admirable, but it’s not going to save you if the board finds out,” the man said, his tone sharp. “He’s a liability now. You know that. You have to protect yourself.”

Olivia’s mind raced. The board? A liability? Who were they talking about?

Natalie sighed, the sound thick with tension. “What are you suggesting?”

“Leak the documents,” the man said bluntly. “Let them take him down. You’ll be promoted, and no one will know it was you.”

Olivia’s hands gripped the edge of the table, her knuckles white. Documents? Was this about Richard Evans, the CEO? She had heard rumors, whispers of mismanagement, financial discrepancies that had been swept under the rug. But she had never imagined Natalie would be involved. And now, they were talking about taking him down?

“I can’t,” Natalie whispered. “If it gets traced back to me—”

“It won’t,” the man cut in, his voice smooth and reassuring. “I’ve made sure of that. You’ll be in the clear, and Richard will be out. It’s the only way to protect yourself.”

Olivia’s heart raced, her mind spinning with the implications. Natalie was planning to betray Richard, to take him down from the inside. And Olivia had stumbled into the middle of it.

She needed to leave, needed to get out before they realized she was there. But as she moved to stand, her foot caught on the edge of the chair, sending it scraping against the floor with a loud, jarring sound.

The voices stopped.

Olivia froze, her pulse thundering in her ears. She could hear the soft shuffle of footsteps moving toward her, slow and deliberate.

“Is someone there?” Natalie’s voice, no longer soft, cut through the silence like a knife.

Olivia’s mind raced. She ducked behind the shelf, crouching low, hoping the shadows would hide her. She held her breath, willing herself to stay still, to become invisible.

The footsteps grew closer, then stopped just on the other side of the shelf. Olivia’s heart pounded in her chest, so loud she was certain they would hear it.

“Natalie, we should go,” the man said, his voice low but insistent. “We don’t need any more eyes on this.”

There was a pause, a long, tense moment where Olivia thought for sure they would find her. But then, to her relief, the footsteps retreated. The muffled voices grew distant, and after a few agonizing minutes, she heard the faint chime of the library door as they left.

Olivia didn’t move right away. She stayed crouched behind the shelf, her body trembling, her mind racing. What had she just overheard? And what was she supposed to do with this information?

Finally, after what felt like hours, Olivia stood, her legs shaky as she made her way toward the exit. Her thoughts swirled in a chaotic blur, the weight of the conversation she had overheard pressing down on her. She could feel the pull of panic at the edges of her mind, but she pushed it down, focusing instead on the cold night air as she stepped outside.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, a sharp reminder of the world waiting for her. She pulled it out, her fingers trembling as she scrolled through her contacts. What was she supposed to do? Natalie was her boss, a woman she had admired for years. But Richard… Richard was her CEO, the man who had built the company from the ground up. Could she really betray him? Could she keep quiet, knowing what she did?

Her fingers hovered over the call button, her mind warring with itself. If she told Richard, there would be consequences. Natalie would know she’d overheard, and Olivia’s career would be over. But if she didn’t say anything, if she let Natalie go through with her plan…

She took a deep breath, her heart still pounding as she made her decision.

Olivia dialed Richard’s number.

When he answered, his voice calm and unhurried, Olivia’s resolve wavered for just a moment. But then she remembered the weight of what she’d overheard, the betrayal that was about to unfold, and she knew she couldn’t stay silent.

“Mr. Evans,” she said, her voice steady despite the storm inside her, “we need to talk. There’s something you need to know.”

The words hung in the air, a point of no return. And as Olivia walked into the night, she knew her path had just irrevocably changed.

September 06, 2024 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.