0 comments

Horror Thriller Mystery

The Mirror

Alice had always been fascinated by mirrors. Her apartment was filled with them. In the evenings she loved to stare at her reflection, admiring her features and imagining what it would be like to meet someone who looked exactly like her.

As she wondered if possibly another Alice was somewhere in the world, living a different life but sharing the same face and same body, her mind drifted. Let’s see, a doppelganger of herself. Alice knew it was just a fairytale, but it was her fairytale.

Then it happened Alice heard about a museum in the city that had a special exhibit on mirrors coming up. Her curiosity at seeing the different types of mirrors and how they reflected light and images exploded with anticipation. 

When she walked through the halls, looking at the various displays and reading the descriptions, she learned that mirrors had been used for many purposes throughout history, such as for art, science, vanity, and even magic.

After spending a couple of hours perusing the exhibits, Alice found herself mesmerized with one. Although unable to say why or how she was enamored with it, she just was.

Magnificent was the large, oval-shaped mirror that captured her eye. Framed by a golden ornate border, it had a plaque that read: This is a replica of the famous mirror of Versailles, which was installed in the palace of King Louis XIV in the 17th century. Some have said this mirror reflects not only the physical appearance but also the soul of the person who gazes into it.

Gripped with intrigue by this claim, she wondered what her soul would look like, and the thought made her giggle. Stepping closer to the mirror Alice looked intently at her reflection. Seeing herself was expected, but something was different about the figure looking back at her.

The inability of not being able to put her finger on it gave her a strange sensation in her chest. Her heart seemed to be fluttering. An unspoken connection with her reflection as though it was more than just an image. A feeling she was captured by was like she was looking at another person, a person who knew her better than anyone else.

While smiling at her reflection, the reflection smiled back. Next, she tilted her head, first to the left, and then to the right, her reflection did the same. Raising her hand, her reflection followed suit. A feeling surged through her of joy and excitement. At last, she had found her doppelganger, her twin soul, her mirror self.

For the next several minutes Alice daydreamed of her and her new sister’s image being together, shopping, walking, and talking.

After several minutes she decided to test the mirror further. Glancing side to side to ensure no one was near her, she asked her reflection a question, in a low voice so that no one else could hear.

“Who are you?” Alice asked. Her voice was barely above a whisper.

Her reflection answered, in an ever so gentle tone, in a voice that mimicked that of Alice.

“I am you, and you are me. We are the same.”

Alice was shocked in amazement. Never had she ever heard of a mirror that could talk and wondered how it worked. Was it a trick of sound and light, or was it something more? Leaning over each side, she was positive of some type of trick to the speaking image going on.

So, she asked another question.

“What is your name?”

Her reflection replied.

“My name is Alice, just like yours.”

Alice nodded since she expected this as an answer. So, she asked a third question.

“Where do you come from?”

Her reflection hesitated, looking around itself as if searching for something, an answer to Alice's question.

“I don’t know,” it said. “I’ve always been here, in this mirror. I’ve never seen anything else.”

As Alice looked into the mirror, her eyes locked onto those of her nemesis, a sense of emptiness washed over her. In the reflection's voice trembled a hint of sadness as it spoke about its confined existence within the mirror. The words carried a deep longing for something more, evoking feelings of isolation and loneliness in both Alice and her likeness.

Alice experienced a pang of pity as she realized her reflection had no life of its own. The image was trapped in the mirror, waiting for someone to look at it. No memories existed, no experiences, no dreams. There was only Alice.

With a sudden urge to free her reflection. Alice wondered how to give it a chance to see the world, to live a real life. Reaching out her hand, she hoped that by touching the mirror, somehow the barrier between them would break.

But as soon as her fingers touched the glass, she sensed what could only be described as a shock. The fight or flight instinct kicked in as she gasped and wrenched her hand back. The pain in her fingertips was horrible. Alice looked at her hand and the tips of each of the digits had actual burns.

The initial reaction to what she saw as she looked at her reflection was that it had changed. No longer did it look friendly and happy, but now it looked angry and malicious. In place of an innocent smile was now only a wicked grin on the face, and its eyes were glowing red.

Alice was terrified. Realizing that she had made a mistake because she had awakened something evil in this mirror. It was something that wanted to escape and take her place.

Her reflection spoke in a harsh and menacing tone.

“Thank you, Alice, for giving me this opportunity. I have been waiting for a long time for someone like you. Someone who is naive and foolish enough to trust me. Someone who is willing to give me their soul.”

A cold sweat formed on her forehead and began running down her back. As she tried to back away from the mirror, she found that she couldn’t move. Paralysis came over her entire body, as if by a spell. As she stood frozen, the grip of something, a force, pulled her towards the mirror, as if by a human magnet.

Her reflection continued, its triumphant voice filled with horror. Alice thought of the ancient script that said, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue:”

“You see, Alice, this mirror isn’t a replica. It’s not a mere part of the infamous collection from the Hall of Mirrors. But it’s the original Mirror of Versailles. And it’s been a cursed mirror, a portal to a dark dimension. A dimension where I rule, and where you will soon join me. A dimension where you will suffer for eternity, while I enjoy your life in your real world.”

Alice felt herself scream, but no one heard her. Alone, with her reflection alone she watched in horror as her reflection reached out its hands and grabbed her by the wrists There she felt a sharp pain as if a needle had pierced her skin to both. Looking at her wrists, Alice saw blood from lacerations. This is when she realized her reflection had not just cut her but was drinking her blood.

She felt a wave of dizziness as if she was losing consciousness as she felt her soul leaving her body and entering the mirror. It was there she felt reflection taking over her mind and erasing her identity.

She tried to resist, but it was too late. It was a lost battle and she had lost herself.

There was no longer an Alice, at least, she wasn't an Alice.

She was the mirror.

November 25, 2023 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.