0 comments

General

Alisa was a 16 year old girl enjoying her strawberry popsicle on the park bench. It slowly started melting on her hand, but she didn't even notice that until it started dripping on her pants. She ate as much of it as she could before throwing it out. She went to a food truck to grab napkins when a brunette haired boy crashed into her. She fell to the floor and was covered in Coka Cola.

"Oh my gosh, miss. I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going.," He said offering his hand to her.

She took it not being able to refuse his kindness. The boy handed her some napkins to wipe herself off with.

"Are you alright, miss?"

"Yeah I'm alright, thanks. Although, I don't think that this is going to come off.," Alisa said wiping down her shirt and pants.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. It's alright."

She kept trying to wipe it off. She was able to get 30% of it off.

"It's not gonna get any cleaner than this."

The boy thought for a second.

"I wanna make it up to you."

"Oh no, you don't have to-"

"But I want too. I come here today trying to have a nice day and I end up bumping into a beautiful girl who's wearing a now white shirt with a brown stain on it."

Alisa seemed flattered. The boy handed her his jacket.

"Why are you giving me your jacket?," Alisa asked in curiosity.

''So you don't have to keep walking around with a brown stain."

"Thanks."

"You can give it back to me tomorrow."

Alisa was confused.

"Wait a second. How am I supposed to find you?"

"We meet back here at this spot at 2pm tomorrow. I'll be waiting for you."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow." She started walking away but then turned back. "Wait a second. What's your name?"

"Jacob. And you are?"

"Alisa."

When Alisa got home, her mom noticed the jacket.

"Alisa dear, where did you get that jacket?" Her mother asked.

"I was getting napkins to clean myself up at the food truck when a boy spilt his soda all over me. He said I could return his jacket tomorrow."

"Oh okay. Well I suggest you get in the shower then. Don't want to be feeling sticky all day."

Alisa smiled. "Okay mom."

****************************************

The next day, Alisa went back to the food truck with Jacob's jacket. It was 2:03 but she couldn't find him anywhere.

"Lookin for me?" Jacob said behind Alisa, scaring her a bit.

"Jacob, don't scare me like that."

"I'm sorry. I was surprised you came. I thought you forgot."

Alisa crossed her arms and smiled. "You think of me as a forgetful person?"

"Maybe. I don't know. I only met you yesterday."

Alisa giggled a bit.

"I feel like I've seen you before. Besides here I mean." Jacob stated.

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. Where was it? Oh yeah, my brother's football game. I saw you on the bleachers."

"Which one is your brother?" Alisa asked.

"Number 23, Mason."

Alisa was surprised.

"Oh, I didn't know that Mason had a brother."

"Well, I go to a different school."

'That's why."

"Why, he never mentions me?"

"Maybe he does, I've just never talked to him before."

"Oh okay."

The started walking silence for a bit none of them knowing what to say to each other.

"So, what kind of person are you at school?" Jacob asked.

Alisa hesitated.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, like, are you a popular girl, a band girl, a sports girl?"

"I- I don't know if I should say."

"Why not?"

"Because you're probably gonna make fun of me like everyone else."

Jacob had a sympathetic look on his face. "You're the bullied kid at school. Aren't you?"

Alisa froze. "I'm the know-it-all kid that everyone hates. They make fun of me because I know so much."

"Well, in my opinion, I believe that's a good trait to have. Knowing so much means you're the kid that's mostly likely gonna pass out of all of them when it comes to testing."

Alisa smiled. This was the first person who ever told her this. "Thanks."

"Have you ever considered finding a club at school? Aren't you like in tenth grade or something?"

"I am. I am in 10th grade. Sophomore year. And yes, I've considered going to the drama club. But, then again, I don't know what the others will say about it."

'Who cares what everyone says about it. You do what you want. Be the know-it-all girl that you are. That's an excellent trait to have. Forget everyone's opinion's. They don't matter. What matters, is that you're happy."

"Jacob, no person has ever been this nice to me like you have. Thank you so much."

"I'm a person who likes to make his friends and family happy so, it's really no problem." He said, smiling.

Alisa smiled in return.

They went to a bench and started looking at the beautiful sky above them, and could hear all the children playing at the playground.

"What's your favorite part about a day?"

"The nighttime. That's when I can start binge watching."

"What's your favorite movie or series?"

"My favorite show is Anne With An E, I think it tells a beautiful story, and my favorite movie is The Darkest Minds. What about you?"

"I like The Walking Dead and American Assassin."

Alisa looked at the open for a little while.

"Does this feel weird to you?" Alisa asked.

"What?"

''The fact that we finding topics to talk about but then it just gets awkward again?"

"That's usually how friendships start. You become friends that day, and you don't know much about each other for a while until you start feeling comfortable to tell them more things as time goes by. It's normal."

"Well, that actually makes sense."

''What kind of boy do I seem like to you?"

"Why are you asking this?"

"Just wanna see what you say."

"I think that you're the cool bad boy at school, but you have a big heart."

Jacob had smiled.

As hours passed, they started to know each other better and got more comfortable with each other. They both realized that it was 7 o' clock and they both had to head home.

"Alisa?"

"Yeah Jacob?"

"When do you think that we can hang out again?"

"What about Saturday?"

"Sounds good."

"Alright Jacob. I'll see you Saturday."

"See you."

August 03, 2020 23:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.