0 comments

Coming of Age Holiday Sad

It all started in the mid 90's. It was Nov. 25th 1995 at an old Annabella House in Colony New York. As always the Whitney Family gathers together for the annual Feast, of Thanksgiving. As all the grand children, 13 of them, are running around like wild baboons. One child called PJ is angry and causing fights with his grandfather and father and uncles. Getting mouthy and aggressive and just as always, causing a belligerent vocal and verbal scene in front of the world to see. Through out the years it steadily became a more physical disturbance. Fast forward twenty years, to year 2014. The last five years Pj didnt come around for family Thsnksgiving. But on the eve of Thanksgiving of 2014. Pj and his newlywed wife show up. Everyone in the family is on eggshells at this point. But out of no where Pj introduces everyone cordially too his wife. And Pj from what they all knew of, was no more!!! His father and Grandfather pulled him aside. Away from the rest of the family to talk about the diffrence in him.... they asked him "what the deal was"? And Pj's response shocked them both beyond what their wildest thoughts could have been..

Pj responded with a explanation that was a shock to them both. His exact explanation to this day Nov 26th Thanksgiving Eve 2020. Has still shocked the family to this day, and they keep that memory as a corner stone to expanding their bloodline with the idea that everything can change. He responded with "well firstly, I'd like too apoligize to you both for my actions, my words and disconnection from our family in my past. Because the last few years i did some major soul searching and thinking of life in depth. And I come too realize, life is too short to be angry all the time. And too find a reason to blame everyone, for my own self destructive issues. Rather then talk too yall about them, I come to see Ive caused more hurt and pain to everyone else in our family because i wanted attention. I know yall are trying and were trying so hard, too build us the best you can and give all us Kids, and Grandchildren a better life then yall had. I was never appreciative for what yall ever did for us because I wanted it to be about me. So I want to tell you both now, i have a great appreciation to all of yall, and feel horrible for how i always was, when i was younger." They stood in silence the three of them, for about 4 minutes. Then his father gave Pj a hug and his grandfather also embraced them both too. Since then Pj and his family have built a bond stringer then ever before. The gratitude and appreciation that Pj, has grown to show towards the family. Is a memory in our history that we tell our kids to this day. That thankfulness is what you believe it is. And if any over our kids feel they need to express themselves, at our family gatherings now, they have an opportunity during grace to speak up on any issues. Weather they are personal or private or even a feeling of discuss or a feeling of being singled out. The appreciation that Pj grew to have, for our family has become a pillar to our way of life. And to has built our bloodline stronger and more closer then weve ever been. As we sit here today, we embrace Pj, and want to say thank you for teaching all of us that we never give up on family. Even the worst egg can become a beautiful swan and have appreciation for the gifts they dont see when their younger.

As we watched Pj and our family build one of the strongest bonds ever. Pj now holds Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinners at his residence every year. Last year The family pull out some old videos from Thanksgiving of 1996 and Christmas of 2001. And to see the way PJ and all the other kids acted. We had a lot of explaining to do to our children. Because what they know of their Uncle PJ, is not the Pj they saw in the videos. At the end of the videos PJ himself got in front of the whole family, And focused out on all the children and explain to Them. That he was the black sheep the rebel of the family. And he had no explanation of why or how he was so angry and mean. And always tried to fight with the adults. But looked at us all and told all if us, he loved each and every one of us. And to see tears fall from my Grandmothers, Grandfathers, my Mother's, my Father's and my Aunts and Uncle's eyes. Was the most sincere most gratifying and most informative Thanksgiven that ive ever witnessed at a family gathering. Since 2014 and current, there has been no yelling, there's no screaming, and there's no children trying too be in the lime light. Really as we watched those videos, and to see the reaction of our children. Was like watching them doubt their Uncle Pj was like that. Because all the young version of our family look up too Pj. As the videos were ending, the kids thought that the videos were accually staged and filmed with paid actors.

For them too see how belligerent and mean Pj was. To see how he is now, id a 360 degree diffrence. And how appreciative Pj is too everyone. And how welcoming they are goo him and how they carry on as if that never was. But too stsnd back and watch, Pj and his father and grandfather, have a relationship that is unbreakable no matter what. His father and Grandfather, stand back and watch Pj interact with the famiy as a whole. You can tell , they are Proud and are beaming with unspoken joy as they watch him. We have over heard them all, speak amongest themselves about him. Time and time again. Pj has had some rough times this last 10 years with divorces and custody battles. And not once could you tell he had personal issues going on. But he always now is worried about the family being together and bonding stringer then ever. None of us know what exactly caused the flip in Pj's appreciation towards all of us. But it was a blessing for our family, for a first in a long while. And he has become the pillar of our lives, and no one sees his pain of lose, as i glimpsed earlier. It had nothing to do for his change towards us or himself. We dare not ask him, but thst devilish angry child id not whst youll ever see in him. Lots of prople think we fabricate this story. But we have VHS videos too dhow all whst Pj was like as we said when we were younger. And how he is now, i woudnt ask for a better brother f r.c om anyone, not even God. I thank him for helping Pj come home too. And letting Pj become a better man then myself....

November 26, 2020 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.