Riding rough shod at the roustabout’s rough house. Ouch!

Written in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “You’ve got this.”... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Crime Teens & Young Adult

Ouch.

Let the wrestle fest begin.

The push.

The pull.

The yes.

The no.

When was the last time you felt as if you shot yourself in the foot.

Right in the foot.

Actions speak louder than words.

Words can mask a multitude of hidden meanings.

Hi jinks.

Low jinks

Antics. Antically speaking. One man’s antics may be another man’s success.

Or failure.

See how insidiously webbed things can be?

Can become.

Hurtful, too.

Boorish.Blunt. Coarse. Crude.

When does the line of questionable behavior blur?

Dot the “i’s”, cross the “t’s”

And then high tail it outta the scene, the methods of mass destruction leaving a gaping hole of mess behind.

Never to be properly filled.

Empty.

Hooligans step forward.

Bruisers, too

The Bozos are just around the corner have a chat or two with the Thugs.


All shiny, clean and spiffy?

Not particularly.

Busting out at seams, actually. When the lies mount and have no where else to go.

So.

They explode.

Self-destruct.

Oftentimes. We do it to ourselves.

Shero and share alike.


Anyone can be a bad a**. Rough around the edges. Talk tough. Tough act to follow. Act rough. To prove a point. Anyone can join the circus, too. Hard labor is called hard labor because, well, it is hard. Weighs heavily on the capabilities over time.


“Too bad.” we reply.

Your problem. Not mine.

I got in, the problem now is how to get out.


Life can bake us some hard to swallow cookies…..tough to swallow pills of humility.



Touch cookies.

Tough mashoogies.

Being tough takes an indescribable energy.

Invisible energy.

Quiet resolve.


”You’ve got this.”

Yes.

Why does it feel like it takes an eternity to reap the sown efforts of integrity and steely resolve?


Because.

I does.

Like it or lump it.

Hide it or chump it.

Chump.

Conversation with the self:

“You thought things were being done in your best interest”.

When will you learn.

When will you learn?

Will you ever learn?

Blood cannot be taken from a turnip.


It can be taken though. In big bags and large buckets. Plowing over another can become habitual. A way of life. A way of love.

A love knot of sorts.

The difference. A true love knot is one of constancy, consistency. Of love. Regard. Care. Concern. All that mundane, boring stuff. So un -exciting one can fall asleep at the wheel.


Crash and burn.


Or. Shoot self in the foot. Ouch.

Defense becomes the name of the game. Survival, the means to the end.


There is more to life that oneupmanship. Who wants to win all the time, every day?


You may be thinking, “Is she crazy, of course I want to win all the time, every day.”


There are many ways to get from point A to point B my friend. You win some. You lose some.


Rest assured, however,


”You’ve got this.”

Keep the madness away from the methods.

Keep the lies, white, black, problematic and ridiculous to a minimum.

Why?

Because some folks believe the lies.

Not cool.

White or Black lies.

You see, black lies, or telling a lie to gain personal benefit, are universally condemned. In contrast, white lies, or telling a lie to please another person, are seen as an innocent part of everyday interactions.


I beg to differ.

Consider the person with “issues.” Trust issues. A little white lie takes on epic proportions and tentacles and all that was meant to be was,


A preservation of feelings.

Exhausting.

To say the very least.

Mind numbing, word slurring, hand shaking exhaustion.


Lies are in the grossly-knit family of deception.Betrayal.

The millisecond another thinks you to be stupid, unaware.


Just wait, watch and learn….How the slings and the arrows of the white and black lies intersect as they swiftly and buzzing ly dart past your conscience.


Deceptively or Affiliatingly.


Great question.

Life moves rather fast these days.

Blink and the story is gone before our very eyes.


White lies can inadvertently, unintentionally undermine.

A matter of preference or preferential treatment.

I think we collectively are continuing to figure this one out.

Right and wrong.

Black and white.

Bias is rampant. Can distort. Can be considered a lie we all have participated in at some point in life.


There was a study, a “book report” of sorts written about how apes, (we humans and our ancestors are alike). Either “in your face” tactics have been used. For generations. More or less opaque, deceptive practices have been employed in order to make the black lie more gray and the white lie less translucent. (js,cap)


Even without words, our anesteral ape familial counterparts used strategy. Strategy. How do you like them apples (stolen right off your plate!) Right from under your nose. Misleading counterparts is the name of the game. Done, exercised, for personal benefit.


What stops a person from engaging in deception. White lies. Black lies.


Better sit down for the answer.😳


Whether or not we think we will get “caught.” Be the “catch of the day.”


Again. How do you like them apples, (stolen right off the plate). Right out from under the nose.


Hi jinks.

Low jinks

We humans take it any way we can.

Studies in the psychological world have tested our behavior over and over and concluded.


We don’t do it (lie) because it feels good.

We do it because it feels good.


Exhausting, right?

We continually assume we can outsmart another.

We really only shoot ourselves in the foot. Unable to walk strong tomorrow. The weight too much for our feet to bear.


Why we do not choose the straight and narrow is a part of our strategically ape-d familial cousins ancestry. The strategic plan: never be hungry.


They strategically planned on never being hangry, either. Enjoy life! Well. Contradictorily.

The costs, psychological ones, can become to much to bear. Going against one’s values and principles. A feat in and of itself and can become too much to bear.


Break down occurs.

Someone over there is laughing a hearty laugh at our expense.


Turn the other cheek.

Look the other way.

Put the head down.

Let ‘em laugh their day away.


Truth and consequences go hand in hand.

One day, that other person may not be laughing so hard.


Karma.

Can be a fickle beast.

November 02, 2023 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.