5 comments

African American Creative Nonfiction Contemporary

We Got Him

By Dewain Williams

The courtroom was packed with observers, reporters, and family members. Henry Jacks the defendant sat at the defense table with his lawyer, nervous and afraid with notes he planned to show his lawyer when he could focus. His hands and feet were shackled. In a typical courtroom that looked new considering his eleven month stay in the county jail.

"Everybody rise!"

The judge walked in wearing an all black robe with books in hand. He was known for going strickly by the books. His grey hair stood out over his dark black skin tone. Franklin Richards had been a judge for over twenty years and wasn't planning on retiring soon.

"You may all be seated."

Detective Farly sat at the prosecution table with the Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Stanley. Fairly had been working the case since day one and wanted to see it all the way through. He was first on the crime scene then a week later, with hard work and dedication, Henry Jacks was behind bars.

"Today is the case of Henry Jacks versus The State of Georgia. Let the trial begin."

Elizabeth Stanley stood up to give her opening statement.

"On January 2nd, 2020 Cathy Simmons body was found dead in her home. Detective Farly was first on the scene and he discovered three bullet casing on the floor, two shots in the wall and the other in Cathy Simmons head. Nothing was missing from the home so this was an apparent crime of passion. DNA testing was conducted and the defendant DNA was all over the place on her body and on the desk next to her bed plus there was some in the bathroom. A week later Cathy Simmons brother David Simmons lead us to where Henry stayed and without incident there was an arrest."

Immediately after she finished Henry's lawyer stood to give his opening statements.

"There is absolutely no evidence that points to my client's guilt. Cathy was his girlfriend and he stayed with her so its no surprised Henry's DNA is all over the place. My client is a outstanding member of his community and would never commit a crime like this. Plus there was someone else DNA on the scene that the State didn't pursue."

"I object your honour!"

"Object to what Mrs Stanley."

"The other DNA evidence. We spoke of this already. Its inadmissible."

"We have already discussed this in a pre-trial hearing so I agree with Mrs Stanley."

"But its relevant your honour. A potential killer is still out there. How can we ignore this?"

"Until you get more evidence no more talk of it."

Henry Jack held his head down in disappointment.

"We call the witness detective Farly for the state."

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

"I do."

"Detective Farly what did you see when you first arrived on the scene?"

"I got the call around eight that night of January the 2nd. When I arrived Cathy Simmons body was in the house dead already before I got there. No apparent robbery attempt was noticed and nothing seemed missing from the home. Later my team collected DNA samples and they all tested positive to the defendant Henry Jack the deceased boyfriend."

"Could you point to the defendant Mr Fairly."

The Detective pointed directly to Henry Jacks.

"Let the court note that Detective Farly identified the defendant."

"What else happen at the scene that night Detective?"

"We also collected bullet casing that night of which the gun has yet to be found."

"Thank you Detective. No further questions."

The defendant's lawyer may question.

"Good morning Mr. Detective. So could you tell us more about the DNA found at the scene?"

"Yes. So the defendant's DNA was found on the victim body and on the desk in the victim's bedroom plus some was found in the bathroom. We concluded from that that the defendant was with the victim at the time of the murder."

"Did the victim and the defendant live together Mr. Detective?"

"Yes."

"So would it be strange for the defendant's DNA to be found at the scene?"

"In situations like this the spouse is usually the main suspect."

"I didn't ask you that. I said would it be strange to find DNA of someone living at the house since he stays there?"

"No."

"Detective was there any other DNA found in the house?"

"Objection your honour we discussed this."

"Stop your questioning lawyer a ruling has been made."

"No further questions your honour."

"Who is the second witness for the state?"

"We call the brother of the victim David Simmons to the stand."

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

"I do."

"David Simmons how did you find out your sister was dead?"

"We were suppose to go and visit our parents gravesite, something we do every year. When Cathy was late I knew something was wrong. I called several times but she didn't answer so I decided to go to her house and that's when I found the body."

"What did you do then?"

"I immediately called the police."

"Why do you think her boyfriend Henry Jacks killed her?"

"Who else would kill her? She knows no one else. They are always together. He had to do it. Plus his DNA was found all over the place."

"No further questions your honour."

"The defendant's lawyer may question."

"So David you were the first to discover the body?"

"Yes."

"Who was with you when you went to your sister house?"

"No one."

"Who was with you earlier that day before you called your sister?"

"Nobody."

"So as far as we know you could have killed your sister and blamed it on Henry. You have no alibi."

"I object your honour. This is outrageous."

"Lawyers please approach the bench. What's going on with you two?"

"Your honour his questions are outrageous."

"How are they outrageous your honour? He has no alibi. Plus he was at her house before anyone. This is reasonable. Also his DNA was on all three bullet casings."

"Stop your questions sir. David isn't on trial, Henry is. Let's continue."

Three days later Henry Jacks was convicted of murder and sentenced to life without parole.

Months after the trial David was involved in a murder of his girlfriend. Detective Farly worked the case. The gun used to kill his girlfriend matched the casings in the Cathy Simmons murder. Farly help convict Henry Jacks an innocent man. On the way to the county jail Farly asked him a question.

"David why did you let an innocent man get convicted for something he didn't do?"

David shrugged his shoulders in grief and disappointment. Farly felt the same way. He wondered, what can I do to help Henry Jacks get free!

December 17, 2020 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Alex Arias
19:25 Dec 24, 2020

Hi Dewain, good work! It reminds me of the book Just Mercy. It would be interesting if you showed the thoughts of either Detective Farly or Henry Jacks to pair some emotion with the dialogue.

Reply

Dewain Williams
06:37 Dec 25, 2020

Thank u so much for the comments. I know I got a lot of work to do to become a better writer my first self published book been out 6 months and I'm still trying to better myself have u published some books?

Reply

Alex Arias
08:31 Dec 28, 2020

Wow, congrats on publishing your book! I haven't published any books, although it's definitely a goal of mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dewain Williams
06:38 Dec 25, 2020

Thank u so much for the comments. I know I got a lot of work to do to become a better writer my first self published book been out 6 months and I'm still trying to better myself have u published some books?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dewain Williams
06:38 Dec 25, 2020

Thank u so much for the comments. I know I got a lot of work to do to become a better writer my first self published book been out 6 months and I'm still trying to better myself have u published some books?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.