8 comments

Fiction Happy

“Leopold Andrews.” 


The name drenches my lips like a fine wine, rich and sophisticated. It conveys someone of great importance. Someone to be both respected and adored. It is a name fit for a king. 


“Leopold Andrews,” I say again.


He inherited the name from his father, but he goes simply by Leo.


The name Leopold comes from Old German and means “brave people.” And brave is exactly what Leo is. He has been through some big changes recently and has overcome so much just to be here with me now. But that’s another story for another time.


Leo and I have only known each other for a short while, but he already fills my heart in a way I never could have imagined. Before he came into my life, I was happy. I went to a job I liked every morning and spent my evenings relaxing at home. I ate dinners out with friends, read lots of books, and tended to my vegetables and herbs. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Basil, mint, and rosemary. My life, like my garden, was full. I didn’t think I needed anything more.


But then Leo came along. A part of me loved him before he even knew who I was.


Leopold Andrews


His name brings tears of joy to my eyes. And I have to admit that he was quite a surprise! He showed up when I wasn’t expecting it at all. It’s been said that oftentimes fate will give you exactly what you didn’t know you needed. Oh, how true that is! And now that Leo is a huge part of each of my days, I cannot imagine even a single one without him. 


Our hours together are usually spent doing mundane things. Sitting together in front of the TV. Reading quietly on the sofa. Taking naps on lazy afternoons. We really don’t need to do much. I am content to simply be near him.


Sometimes his beauty takes my breath away. His dark hair, long legs, soulful blue eyes. I can’t seem to get enough. He catches me staring all the time, although he doesn’t mind the attention. But Leo is so much more than the way he looks. His charisma draws people in. There isn’t a person in this world who doesn’t like him the moment they meet him. He loves to try new things so every day is an adventure. And he possesses an inner strength that he is only just beginning to reveal to me. But there is a vulnerability to Leo as well. He isn’t afraid to show his true feelings. He can cry just as easily as he can laugh. And my own tears do not scare him away.


Leo is also an incredible listener. I can’t count the times that I chatter on and on about my day or a phone call I received or even something as silly as what socks I’m planning to wear. Leo just sits there listening quietly, his head tilted to the side, and doesn’t say a word. He just lets me talk.


Leopold Andrews


My God, how I love him.


When I was a young girl, I dreamed of exactly this. …of an all-encompassing love that would practically consume me. That would light me up inside so that I could carry it with me everywhere I went. I was just never sure that it was going to happen. But I wished for it just the same. At the time, I couldn’t understand how powerful this love would be. I didn’t realize that this love would support me through the rough days and allow me to be the best me I could be. I couldn’t imagine that I would wake up every morning thinking about him, my mind drifting to thoughts of him countless times throughout the day and long into the night. 


But I do. 


And when he cries out for me in the dark, I go to him without hesitation, giving my body over to his needs. There are times when his desire exhausts me, leading to many sleepless nights, but I cannot say no.


Leopold Andrews


And oh, how he loves me. He lets me know in a million tiny, amazing ways. His sweet smile, his arms always reaching for me. His face lights up when I enter a room. He doesn’t mind when I kiss him with bad morning breath, or forget to wash the dishes, or sing off-key. And when he’s tired at the end of a long day, he will lay his head on my shoulder and close his eyes.


I am proud to be his. I am honored to be in his life, just as he is in mine. Leo and I share a connection that cannot be broken. Not by time. Not by circumstance. We belong to each other. Forever. 


As we sit quietly together in this small room of the home we share, I look forward to our future. Because I have big plans, Leopold Andrews. Very big plans for us. 


We will explore the world together: camping, hiking, swimming. We’ll head to the mountains, the beach, and everything in between. I see us taking long walks together, holding hands and sharing secrets. We will experience the magic of Christmas, the blessings of Easter, and the joy of celebrating many birthdays. There will be so many things that we can teach each other. Some days will be filled with music. Some evenings will be spent making wishes on stars. We might even take an art class together or learn a new language. There will be many moments when everything else is still, and there is just us. 


Now that my reverie is over, and it is time for sleep, I must say goodnight to him, my sweet Leo. Every evening that I spend with him is a gift. I gaze down at his soft head, cradled in the crook of my arm. This is a sight I will never tire of, never take for granted. Slowly I stand, lifting the warm weight of his body gently so as not to wake him. I kiss my son’s forehead, place him in his crib, and whisper…


“Goodnight, Leopold Andrews.”

January 26, 2022 16:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Hannah Barrett
02:21 Jan 30, 2022

Karen, this is such a sweet story! My favorite thing about it was cycling through all the possibilities. A boyfriend. No. A puppy? No - it has hands. A BABY! Leopold Andrews is such a great name, and I love the refrain of his name throughout. Great work!

Reply

Karen Kinley
03:17 Jan 30, 2022

Thank you so much! I had fun writing it! And the generator (of course) gave me that wonderful name!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
22:31 Mar 18, 2022

Hey there, Karen. I finally won one. Stop by and give me a read when you get a chance.

Reply

Karen Kinley
23:37 Mar 18, 2022

Oh my goodness! So you did!! (I can't keep up with all your name changes and didn't realize it was you!) I will DEFINITELY give your winning story a read...stay tuned for my glowing review!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
23:43 Jan 28, 2022

1000 perfect words. My only regret is not being able to read this version as a first read. You say I helped but I see you and your talent everywhere in this beautiful story. Well done!!!!

Reply

Karen Kinley
04:08 Jan 29, 2022

You just make me smile! Thanks! I couldn’t have done it without you. Truly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
19:48 Jan 26, 2022

The prompts this week were so basic that it allowed the writer almost total carte blanche to fashion the story of their heart. My how you've done that. It's the kind of story that you have to re-read the second you finish reading it the first time. As for suggestion on how to add more meat, maybe a reference and paragraph talking about how he reminds you of the Lion. I don't know if there is a way to speak of the time he was part of your life before he was part of your life. Make the reader think you admired him from afar when in reality...

Reply

Karen Kinley
22:49 Jan 28, 2022

OK, I think I did it! Hope I didn't overdo it, but I needed the words! Thanks SO MUCH for your suggestions. They helped so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.