2 comments

General

Bruce sat petrified as his mother Amaya typed in his name under the words talent show auditions. He was in second grade and about to do a Freddie Mercury impression in front of his whole entire grade! Would they think he was crazy? Would he loose all his friends? He was so nervous! He got up from the couch where he was sitting. His mom looked strait up into his big brown eyes and said “Is everything all right Bruce”?

Bruce looked down at his mom’s caring eyes. “Uh, yeah mama everything is fine, can I just go outside to practice my act, after all it is in two days”.

“Sure, just get your mic pole and mic and me and your sister will call you in when we are done making dinner”.

“Thanks, tell Katara thanks to”!

Said Bruce running into the music room to get his performance items. As soon as he was outside he sang as hard and as loud as he could. He pranced around on the concrete, feeling more Charismatic and alive with every step. He was going to lip sync radio gaga at the talent show, so that’s what he sang, and he made sure to sing it with heart. About 30 minutes later Bruce’s mom and sister invited him in to eat. He went in, put away his things and ate dinner with his family. Two days later he was ready to roll. Except for one thing; he was SO nervous. He thought about the talent show all day until finally, the time came. “Will all students participating in the talent show go change if they must”.

Bruce’s teacher Mrs. Loveland announced. Bruce stood up, grabbed the duffel

bag containing his outfit with all the other kids participating in the talent show and headed to the locker rooms to change. As he walked by the girls locker room he caught a glimpse of his mom waiting by the auditorium for him. He looked at her and then kept walking as not to get distracted. He went into the locker room and changed into his acid washed jeans, white tang top, belt and armband. As soon as he was done he ran out and his mom stuck his fake mustache and said the words " Shine like the star that you are”.

Bruce would never forget those words. Bruce took his mothers hand and they walked into the auditorium together. Bruce’s mom let go of Bruce’s hand as soon as Mrs. Wong called him over to sit down. Bruce’s performance was the second to last. Through every act he got he got more and more butterflies in his stomach. When it came time for the person in front of him to go up on that big stage Bruce’s palms began to sweat more than ever and he realized that he was gripping the table very hard. Finally, he heard Mrs. Wong say into the mic: “And Bruce doing a Freddie Mercury impersonation”!

Bruce ran on stage and looked at the crowd. Something didn’t seem right. Bruce could not put his finger on what was bothering him, he looked at Mrs. Wong pulling up the music, armband, jeans, tang top, belt , mic pole, mic, mustache. What was wrong? He looked into the crowd: teacher, friend, enemy, frenemy, kindergarten. He did not know, he looked into his mothers beautiful chocolate eyes, nothing, not a problem. He looked back at Mrs. Wong’s sea blue eyes as she continued to cue up his song. He looked around again and then, he realized. He was not nervous. He felt welcome, like he had found his destiny, because he had. He was going to do his first gig in front of his grade, teachers, family and all of kindergarten. The music started, and so did fame. He pranced down the stage and made sure to pour his heart and soul into every step. Then came the lip syncing. He took the lyrics strait out of heart and put the onto the stage he pranced more and more and posed his best, pointed at his best friend and even winked at them, he saw her face spread into a big smile as she began bobbing her head up and down with the beat. Meanwhile Bruce was showing off and prancing around and having the the time of his life. When it came time to sing the chorus note everybody clapped along with the words Radio Gaga, Radio Goo Goo. Bruce finished up and everybody cheered. He felt like the king of the world. He hoped off the stage and sprinted to his mom and dad. “Good job Bruce”!

Bruce’s father said. “That was the best gig I have ever seen”!

Bruce’s mom cheered.

Katara looked into his eyes and said, “I knew you could.”

Bruce kissed every one of there four heads and said,

“Thank you guys for supporting me”. Bruce smiled and sat in his dad’s lap and they watched the 2019 talent show as a family. When the show was over Bruce got up turned around and his mom got a hold of corner of his mustache and ripped it off “owwww”! Bruce yelled. “Wow that stuck well”. Amaya added. Bruce looked at her and then grabbed his mustache and ran off into the locker rooms. When he changed out of his costume and returned to Mrs. Loveland’s classroom he got the shock of his life. As soon as he set foot through the door, he heard people say “whooo Bruce”!

“Awesome bro”!

“Now your my friend”!

" And your mine now to”!

He heard his teacher in there to giving him compliments and he felt like the king of the world once again. The rest of the day he was smiling through everything and he was so amazed at how many friends he had. When the day came to an end and it was time to preform speeches Bruce’s speech was the shortest, but to him the best. “I would like to thank all you who enjoyed my performance, it was the most welcoming experience of my life. Today I found out my true destiny. My destiny is to entertain, no matter what anybody thinks. Because this is who I am.”

July 17, 2020 16:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Neela Sanders
15:12 Jul 21, 2020

This story is absolutely amazing

Reply

Zuko Sanders
18:21 Jul 23, 2020

thank you so much, read your story running from the truth, and I was so amazed. You really have a passion for writing! - Zuko

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.