0 comments

General

Evelyn stepped out onto the balcony, relishing the cool breeze dancing across her skin; she reached up and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. Her eyes searched the darkness for Nathan’s lantern. It wasn’t long until her eyes found the light from his lantern swinging gently as he made his way to their spot by the fence dividing their family’s property.

               A smile graced her lips as she quickly gathered the burning candle and quietly opened her bedroom door; once she was sure the coast was clear; Evelyn made her way quickly down the hall and down the winding staircase. Evelyn slowly opened the kitchen door, which promptly began to groan in protest at being used at such a late hour; daring to risk the noise, she opened it just enough to squeeze past and out into the cool spring air.

               The hem of her nightgown and sleep robe grew increasingly damp as the fabric dragged through dew covered grass; at long last she saw Nathan sitting on top of the fence, waiting for her arrival. A bright smile lit up his face when their eyes met, he jumped off the fence and jogged the remaining few feet, sweeping her up in his arms. Evelyn giggled as he twirled her around, she felt happiest when with him.

               “I’ve missed you,” sighed Evelyn laying her head against his chest, “I hate that we have to keep this a secret.”

               “I hate it too,” murmured Nathan kissing the top of her head, “One day soon we can stop being a secret, I promise.”

               Evelyn looked up at him, the question in her eyes made him grin and pull her closer; Nathan reached into his pocket and withdrew a silver metal box. She gasped as her eyes grew wide, she watched him slide to one knee. Nathan ignored the water that immediately began to soak his pants, he opened the ring box; he smiled up at her and took a deep breath.

               “Evie, we have been friends since we were children…I admire your strength, your desire to help those in need,” stated Nathan taking her hand, “I love our late night talks, and despite what our families think of each other…I love you now, and forever. Evelyn, will you do me the honors of becoming my wife?”

               “Yes!” gushed Evelyn blushing as he eagerly slid the silver and pearl ring onto her finger

               Nathan stood up and once again pulled her into his embrace, even though he knew she loved him and was willing to marry; he could tell that she was worried about what their families would do when they found out.

               “Everything will be okay…” started Nathan doing his best to assure her

               “Nathan, our families hate each other…they’ll never accept our marriage.”

               “Father gave me my inheritance; we will be able to start over and be just fine.” whispered Nathan although he worried about his parent’s reaction, “In time, I am sure they will accept that our families have been joined.”

               A short while later, they parted ways with a sweet kiss. As soon as Evelyn reached her room, she found a piece of white ribbon and slid her engagement ring onto it. Evelyn tied the silky ribbon around her neck for safe keeping until the day she could wear it openly.

               The next couple of days seemed to pass by in blur, the smooth cool metal of her engagement ring on her skin, reminded her that she would soon become Nathans wife. ‘All I have to do is prevent mother from handing me off to one her friends’ sons.’ thought Evelyn sipping her tea and tried to refocus on her mother’s words

               “Evelyn! Are you listening to me?” chided Marion frowning at her daughter, “I am trying help you plan your future, this is important.”

               “Sorry mother.” murmured Evelyn lowering her eyes to the floor

               “As I was saying, it is time you take your future seriously by choosing a husband,” stated Marion firmly, “A few of my friends have sons that would be a suitable choice for you, all you need to do is meet with them and decide which one should court you properly.”

               “Mother, I have no desire to be courted by any of them,” argued Evelyn frustration lacing her voice, “My affection is already claimed…”

               “Please do not say that you are in love with Nathan Edwards!” snapped Marion angrily, “We tolerated your friendship as children, however, now that you’re are both fully grown, you need to show your allegiance to our family. Do you understand?”

               Evelyn sighed, holding back tears nodded and quietly said, “Yes mother.”


Later that night…


               “I can’t stand waiting anymore Nathan,” cried Evelyn, “Mother is trying to marry me off…reminding me to show allegiance to my family by cutting you out of my life. I love my family, Nathan but I am not giving you up! I love you.”

               “I love you as well Evie,” whispered Nathan leaning back against the fence, “My father is guilting me to choose a bride as quickly as possible; I have an idea to help us…though I am not sure how you will feel.”

               Evelyn looked up at him, a tiny smile graced her lips as she stood on her tip toes to kiss him, “I think I know what you are thinking Mr. Edwards…”

               “Really?”

               “I’ve known you all my life, so yes…you are wanting to elope because then there is nothing our families could do to keep us apart.”

               “You are one hundred percent correct, my love,” chuckled Nathan, “This is why I love you…you say the word and we can make it official.”

               Evelyn wrapped her arms around his waist and smiled, ‘I can’t believe this is finally happening…I’ve longed for this moment for years.’

               Nathan smiled as he watched her contemplate; he knew when they were teenagers that he wanted to marry her and now that it was finally happening, he had never felt happier than the moment she returned his affections. ‘I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with her!’

               “I don’t want to wait anymore, how does tomorrow night sound?”

               “I think tomorrow is perfect for a wedding!”

               The couple risked spending an extra hour in each others company to plan their elopement and to simply be together in the early hours of the coming dawn. When they could no longer risk their temporary disappearance, they reluctantly parted ways.

               “Tomorrow night…” murmured Nathan winking

               “Tomorrow night…” smiled Evelyn


The next day…

               

               After a few hours of sleep, Evelyn claimed a headache to stall for time so that she could pack as much as she could into her largest travel bags. Within a few hours, she was able to gather enough clothing and pack the personal items that held the most sentimental importance to her. ‘Now I just have to hide these until it is time to leave.’ thought Evelyn as she looked around her room for the perfect hiding place

               Once her bags were carefully hidden, she sat down at her writing table and with a heavy sigh, tenderly picked up a piece of paper and dipped her pen in the ink bottle. She bit her bottom lip with worry; ‘What can I possibly say to them, to help them understand my decision?” thought Evelyn sadly, ‘I don’t want to hurt them…yet no matter how hard I try, mother and father won’t listen to me. I can’t let them know where I am, just that I am fine.’

               She began her letter:


      ‘Dear Father and mother,


     Just know that I am safe. I hope that one day you can forgive me.

     I love you so much! I will see you soon!

                                                                              

   Love always,

                                                                                                                               Your daughter,

                                                                                                                                                Evelyn


Later that night…


               Evelyn lay her bed listening to the household quieting down for the night, butterflies fluttered with nervous excitement as she waited for her clock to tell her when midnight had arrived. They chose midnight not only for the poetic justice of the faery stories they read as children but because it would ensure that both households would be soundly asleep.

11:40 p.m.

               She slid out from her warm bed and put on her favorite dress; she sat down in front of the vanity mirror. Silently, she slipped in pearl earrings and pinned her hair up in an elegant chignon; Evelyn looked at her reflection, she smiled, her cheeks tinged pink with excitement.

               Taking a deep breath, she gathered her bags and slipped quietly down the hall; Evelyn took her time just in case she needed to hide quickly. At long last, she made it to the kitchen door. She stepped into the cool night air and knew that her life was about to change, ‘In a half hour, I will be Mrs. Edwards!’ Evelyn walked as quickly as possible to the fence; her heavy bags caused her to stumble a few times.

               “Evelyn, you are a sight for sore eyes!” sighed Nathan kissing Evelyn, “Let me help you with your bags, the buggy isn’t far.”

               Gratefully, she allowed Nathan to take two of her bags; they walked side by side in comfortable silence towards the road and the waiting buggy. Nathan helped her into the buggy and soon joined her, she looked back in the direction of their homes.

               “Are you alright, sweetheart?” asked Nathan squeezing her hand

               Evelyn turned and looked at Nathan and scooted closer to him, she smiled and whispered lovingly, “I am more than alright…I get to marry the love of my life and spend forever with him. I am a little sad to not have my family there to witness, however, we have each other and that is all I need.”

               Nathan encouraged the horse to pull the buggy, he stayed quiet for a few moments to think. A few minutes later, he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close.

               “I do wish our families could be there, however, with our marriage this feud between our families will eventually resolve itself,” stated Nathan with conviction, “I love you and I refuse to live the rest of my life without you!”

               With that said, they rode the rest of the way to town in loving silence; Nathan directed the horse to the preacher’s home. In just a few minutes they stood across from each other, holding hands as the preacher performed the ceremony.

               “Do you Nathan Edwards take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

               “I do.” grinned Nathan

               “Do you Evelyn Winters take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

               “I do.” blushed Evelyn as she gazed at Nathan’s smiling face

               “You may exchange rings.”

               Lovingly, they slid the rings onto the other’s fingers; they barely heard what the preacher was saying.

               After clearing his throat, the preacher smiled and said, “You may now kiss your bride.”

               Nathan did not hesitate, he cupped Evelyn’s face in his hands and gently tipped her face up to his; he gently placed his lips on hers. He smiled as she returned his kiss.


Later that night…

               “Is this house really ours?” asked Evelyn gaping up at the large manor

               “I bought it a few weeks before I asked you to marry me,” said Nathan pleased that his new wife loved their new home, “Do you like it?”

               “I love it!” exclaimed Evelyn kissing him on the cheek

               Before they entered the house, Nathan swept Evelyn off of her feet, causing her to squeal with a mixture of surprise and delight. Laughing, Nathan quickly and clumsily unlocked and opened the door.

               “It’s tradition for the husband to carry his bride over the threshold,” smiled Nathan winking at her, “I have every intention of following this tradition.”

               “Well, my dear husband…” giggled Evelyn blushing, “Who am I to stop you from completing your task?”

               Laughing, he carried her into their home and carefully placed her back onto her feet; he kept his arms around waist, holding her close as he closed and re-locked the door.

               “Mrs. Evelyn Edwards, I love you always and forever!” whispered Nathan peppering her face with sweet kisses

               “Forever and always, I will love you Mr. Nathan Edwards!” whispered Evelyn returning his kiss  

April 24, 2020 22:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.