0 comments

Science Fiction

My life used to be perfect in every way. Everything was normal and I was safe. Before, I would build rockets, wishing that one day, I would take off to the sky and go to the moon because its full of adventure. It’s very peaceful and quiet. You don’t have to worry about anything except floating around in space. My father used to fly to the moon, leaving me and my mother alone in the house. He would build rockets for astronauts. That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m afraid of leaving my parents at the house all alone while I’m traveling. But, I decided to ask my parents instead, knowing the fear and the worrying.

I live next to a forest full of evergreens. Wood surrounds our house like gravestones. When my father is not working on rockets or going to the moon, he likes to chop up some wood so we can stay warm. I went to the living room where my parents were.

The living room was very vintage and colorful. Yellow filled up the wall like sunflowers. My parents were watching the same old news on the couch.

I walked in slowly and sat near them, thinking about whether I should ask them. My mother noticed right away that I was here, tiptoeing around. My mother was smiling at me with her sweet gentle eyes. “Yes, honey?” She asked.

Maybe she knew I wanted something. My mother always knew what I was up to growing up. I would quietly sit next to my parents until they talk to me. I looked over at my father who was still watching TV. “I have a question,” I told my mom, looking into her sweet eyes. My mother’s eyes are just as calm and gentle as the blue skies.

I bit my bottom lip. Am I sure I want to do this? Should I wait until I get a little older? No, I can’t wait! I have to do this! I want to explore the moon like my father.

“Um,” I shuddered, my voice breaking. I wasn’t sure if I should ask or not. My mother starts to hold my hand, cupping them together.

“If you want to tell us something then go ahead,” She whispers, her voice sweet as a lullaby. I hung my head in embarrassment.

“So, as I was trying to say, can I fly to the moon?” I asked.

My father looked at me as if he heard me say a curse word. “Sweetheart,” He mutters. “I don’t think you’re ready.” My eyes lit up. I can’t believe this.

“Why can’t I go?” I asked, my anger building up.

My mother sighed. She hates to see me upset. “Listen, sweetheart, you’re too young.” Anger rushed inside of me. “Please?” I begged, I let go of my mother’s hand.

My father sighed. “ Like you’re mother said, you’re too young.”

I stormed off to my room, tears falling from my eyes. When I got to my room, I slammed the door behind me and ran straight to my bed, holding tight to my pillow.

That’s when someone knocked on my door. “Honey, may I please come in?” That voice. That soft gentle voice, it sounds like my mother.

“What do you want?” I asked, wiping away my tears.

My mother opened the door softly as she sit next to me. She started to rub my head like she use to when I was little since I was really upset about the lighting coming from my window. My mother would stroke my blue hair, telling me that everything is going to be okay. Hearing her voice would calm me down all the time.

“What’s wrong, honey?” My mother asked, continuing to stoke my hair.

I lifted my head up slowly and put it on my mother’s shoulders. “I really want to go to the moon,” I told her, “Because I want to explore the planets and learn about it.”

My mother gave me a questionable look. “But really, why do you want to go to the moon so badly? Is it because of your father?”

I bit my lips again. “I want to be just like him when I get older.” I couldn’t even look my mother in the eyes. “Just please give me a chance.”

My mother took a deep breath, almost like she was trying to hold her tears. “Honey, I know you want to be like your father but you’re too young.”

My stomach was boiling like a hot pot. Why can’t she let me go? They let me build rockets for the astronauts but they won’t let me go to the moon.

I’m tired of being treated like a kid. I put my head back on the pillow. That’s when I heard footsteps coming into my room. I didn’t even care at this point.

“Hey,maybe we should give her a chance,” I heard my father say.

“She’s only twelve!” My mother blurted out, she sounds frustrated.

My father blow out a heavy sigh. “Listen, she really want to do this.”

My mother started to break down and cry. “Honey, do you really want to do this?”

I lifted up my head. “I really want to do this,” I wiped my tears away. “More than anything in this world.”

My mother nods her head. “If that’s what you want.” Her voice was breaking. Tears feel from her face like tiny raindrops.

“I already have a rocket ship for you at the station.” Father told me, “Are you sure you are ready for this?” His face was serious.

“I’m sure.” I say, trying to be serious like him.

He didn’t know what else to say to me. He looks into my eyes like two lovers ready to kiss. “I’ll take you early in the morning. It’s getting late.”

I kinda smiled a little, grateful that I could actually travel around space. Now, I’m laying in bed, even though my parents are right beside me.

“Honey, make sure you go to bed early.” My mother told me.

“I will.” I promised her, turning over.

My mother and father kissed my forehead. “Good night, my love.”

“Good night.” I smiled, sinking into the bed.

As they left my room, I opened one eye to see if they were really gone. Finally, some peace and quiet to myself. One of my favorite things to do at night is look at the stars alone. Beside my bed was a table where I usually sit down and study the stars. My window is jammed shut so I can’t sneak out. Speaking of that, my mother and father are usually asleep at ten so maybe I can, since it will be my last day here.

It’s nine forty five now. Fifteen minutes before I could sneak out, but is it worth it though? I mean, I love looking at the stars since I was little.

I sit in my rolling chair, looking at the dotted night skies. The stars were like tiny fireflies that only glows at night. For the past fifteen minutes, I stared deeply into the sky like something big was going to happen.

Finally, at last, it is now ten at night. I tiptoed to my parent’s room to see if they were sleep or not. Their door was closed and I can hear my father snoring. Perfect! I tiptoed down the stairs, making sure my parents won’t hear my footsteps.

I unlocked the door slowly so no one would hear me. Hopefully, they won’t get up and lock the door. Now, I’m looking at the evergreens outside. It was covering up most of my view. Guess I have to go back to the house and stare at the window again.

I quietly opened the door and closed it back up. After I locked it, I had to tiptoe back upstairs so my parents won’t hear me. Taking a deep breath, I cut on my lamp that was beside my window. Maybe I should draw some pictures until I get sleepy.

My desk was pretty messy anyway. I put my sketchbook and pencils next to me and start thinking about what I should draw. Everything around me was quiet. The wind tapping through my window, my father snoring loudly, everything.

I’m now in peace with myself. The first thing that came to mind was a robot. Sounds weird right? He is a orange 3D robot that is very kind and loved to help others.

Then I stopped. What if he had a friend? An idea popped up in my head. A middle age man that loves to work on machines. He is a little plumb but he’s not that big.

Maybe I should name him Old man Jen. Jen works at a machine shop where he sells tools and wheels too. Wheels, you may ask? Because he can also fix cars. Pretty cool right? Now, back to the robot. His little smile was adorable.

Milo seems like a great name for a robot. It sounds familiar to an old drawing I use to love. I drew it every time I came home from school. I never named these two characters before. It brings back memories. My lamp continues to shine bright like the sun. I continued to draw the same characters until midnight. I started yawning, screeching my body out. It would be best if I go to bed now so I won’t be sleepy.

Maybe I could pack it up for tomorrow. Maybe I can do some more drawings when I get on the rocket ship. I closed my sketchbook and crawled in the bed.

“Hopefully everything will be better in space.” I thought to myself as I closed my eyes.

September 08, 2024 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.