Panic at the Spring Dance

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

9 comments

General

This is the night. The night James has been waiting for what it almost seems like decades. The night of his first Spring Dance. He enters the two metal doors that lead into the gymnasium. The gates to what would be a torture for some, but to him it would be Heaven. He takes a quick glance at the scenery that is before him. A neon dance floor, concession stands everywhere, people wearing uncomfortable, stiff formal wear, and an actual DJ! Everything seemed fine at the start. Everyone talking to their friends, the DJ playing SandStorm by Darude on full blast, and everyone forgetting about school the next day. A very joyous time. James was about to get a Diet Coke just when the DJ announced that it was couples hour and everyone needed a partner. James’ body became frozen stiff. He didn’t expect this. He thought everyone just hung around and acted “cool”, but he did not think that people dance with others like they were an “actual couple”. No wonder his friends hated coming to these things. He needed to find a way out and fast! In the corner of his eye, he could see a tall, thin girl coming his way. He looked around, but all he saw were stands, “couples'', and the bathrooms. He had a feeling that the doors he came through were probably locked from his side. The Girl crept closer and closer, he was running out of time. He decided to give up, when the Girl was close enough to ask him to the dance floor. He stood there with his eyes closed and was ready for anything. He waited a couple seconds, then opened his eyes in confusion. He looked around the gymnasium, then spotted the Girl there with somebody from a different grade. Probably one grade older than her. He wiped the sweat off of his brow and went back to getting his Diet Coke.


 Couple’s hour finished in a few minutes. Afterward, everybody went back to chilling out by participating in doing dumb and leathal dares with their dumb and leathal friends. After a while the DJ decided to take song requests. So, James thought he might as well take a part in this party and choose a song. It was quiet for a little while again, but the devilish DJ announced that it was the choice of a couple's hour AGAIN or . . . Square Dancing!! The one greatest torture at any Spring Dance. You would think everyone would want to pick Couples hour again, but James knew on the first day he was there, no one would show mercy. Every man for themselves. All the votes were in, one sentence coming out of this guy’s fiendish mouth would Change the whole night.


 The DJ said with a mighty voice on all of us. “The choice for the next hour is. . . Couple’s Hour!! All the boys screamed and buzzed with joy, but James didn’t. He knew what would happen. The lights in the gymnasium started to dim off and on until they burned out. The stands started to fade away. The DJ began to vaporize into the ground. James knew this would happen! everything that happened before this was just a simulation, a dream! Everything spinning around and around and then! 


Silence. . . The spinning stopped and everything was calm. James got up from the spinning incident and took a good glance around the room. The DJ still vaporized, all the stands gone and everyone still on the ground, some unconscious. ‘This ain’t good’, James thought while peering around the dimly lit room. Finally James noticed something new in the center of the gymnasium.

 It looked human, but it was floating in mid air. Like some sort of UFO, a weirder type of a UFO. The UFO had pointy ears and sharp teeth. It looked a lot like Death but more civil. Too civil. The UFO peered around the room and spotted James looking at him and snarled a very sharp hiss. It kept hissing until it started sounding like an actual human.

 At this point, James was mortified. He actually started to think that this is all a dream. All of a sudden, out of nowhere a Pipe Organ was being struck with such great force. While James’ mind was elsewhere, the UFO started to bite his stinging, sharp teeth into James’ fellow pupils, and other grades. Especially the 2nd graders. Everyone the UFO bit into began turning pale and started looking pretty weak.

 The UFO said with a very dark and grim voice, “It was foolish for you mortals to have a spring dance on April 1st, the one night you could have chosen this dumb event. This One Night!!”. 


While the UFO was ranting, James looked around for something to shut this thing up with. He looks around cautiously so that the UFO doesn’t see him not looking at him anymore. The only thing he spots is some sort of large, rustic, wooden nail. James picks it up and treads carefully to the UFO so he can use the wooden nail to shut him up.

 ‘Hopefully this will help him and his volume’, James says in his mind quietly thinking that the UFO can read minds. Just as James was about an inch away from the UFO, he tripped on some false flooring and the wooden nail went flying in the air.  James screamed silently, so silently, the screaming started to make him loopy.

 Just before his eyes closed, he saw the wooden nail lodged in the head of the UFO. James woke up to find himself in his room, full of Vampire posters. ‘So it was just a dream’, James thought to himself, feeling a bit of sweat on his brow once more. James got himself dressed and headed downstairs to be accompanied by his mother. His mother said with a light and sassy voice. “So did you have nightmares from the “Scary” Vampire Movies”? James replied with, “In a way, yes”. His mother chuckled with a bright tone in her voice. “Well you better get to school, otherwise I’m not bailing you out of detention today”. “You think I’m going into detention today, I think not”. Just as James walked out the door, his mother said to him. “Don’t be late for the Spring Dance”. Those words froze James to the core. His reply was. “Ok”.


 The cold breeze of spring chilled James’ neck, although James thinks it’s still the words his mother bestowed upon him just before he left.

April 03, 2020 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Nicole Leah
17:43 Apr 09, 2020

It's brilliant! Just...brilliant! I wish I could write like you.

Reply

J P
15:29 Apr 14, 2020

The funniest thing is this is my first writing and I’m not really good at writing

Reply

Nicole Leah
18:05 Apr 16, 2020

Keep at it if you enjoy it! You have a real knack for building tension with a really imaginative mind to go with it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maria Limerick
16:57 Apr 09, 2020

I love how you set the stage for the normal anxieties of a spring dance, and then everything gets taken to another level very quickly.

Reply

J P
15:29 Apr 14, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Victoria Jayne
21:08 Apr 07, 2020

Very intense! Good thriller! :)

Reply

J P
14:48 Apr 08, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexa Blinson
21:42 Apr 04, 2020

Wow, you are a really great writer! I loved this story!

Reply

J P
13:53 Apr 06, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.