0 comments

General

I couldn’t help but look outside the window as the snow fell heavily from Ohios sky. They said this winter was one of the toughest to ever come and that it’ll rain at least for two continuous weeks in a row. Today was New Years Eve,and it’s been like a tradition for me to spend it every year with my parents since I’ve been homeschooled all my life so I haven’t built up this bundle of friendships. The only two people I’ve actually hung out with are Carly and James. They’re my neighbors from around the block and it’s funny because they’re actually dating too so sometimes I feel like a third wheeler. There’s also this new guy that moved in last week by himself who actually looks my age which makes me wonder why he lives alone.


I have a thing with lights. Anything with lights is something Spiritual to me,so I always keep strings of lights strangled around my room in every single corner. sometimes i feel sad that I didn’t live up to meet so many people and listen to all their fascinating stories And that they will never listen to mine or how much small things interest me over others like the lights for instance. I went up to my room and had a video call with Carly and James who kept making fun of me for not going to the masquerade party.

Carly: are you gonna end up like repunzel? Always stuck in that tower of yours on every holiday?

James: yeah man chill out. you only live once.

i told them that when you spend too much time at home and then try to go out,it’ll be hard for you to blend with others and to not act like a total freak show. Then after we were done,my mom called me down for dinner.


Every year,my mom would make her famous cinnamon rolls and I got to say they taste so heavenly. Anyone and everyone loves them! i used to eat them before dinner started by secret and she would yell at me every single time but I couldn’t help how scrumptious they were hehe. We all sat on the dinner table,and my dad turned to me and said:“ Rosaline, you know you can go out with your friends dear,we can have fun on our own I promise.” I just shook my head and told him that I want to stay. He smiled as we all held hands for prayer,and surprisingly the bell rang waking us up from our peaceful meditation.


i stood with confusion as it who might’ve been to knock on our door an hour before Midnight. As I raced to open the door,it strikes me to see our new neighbor that moved in alone on our front step.

the neighbor: good evenin, my name is dylan. I just moved around the block and im feeling lonely And I was wondering if I could spend the night with you guys.

at first everything he said sounded fishy to me because you don’t expect a total stranger to stand on your front step and ask to spend New Years eve with you and your family,but another part of me felt this human being is actually having one of his toughest times in his life and that he really needs company. My dad noticed that I took a lot of time so he came up behind me and asked Dylan why he wanted to spend it with us.

Dylan: My family passed away 3 months ago in a car crash and they were the only thing that Ive ever loved. When I moved here alone,I knew no one and I couldn’t feel more hollow but something told me to come over here tonight and spend time with you guys and so I did.


My dad decided to let him in because he sympathized with his sensitive experience. My mom was so pleased that there was a new member to celebrate with us this exciting night so she fetched her incredible cinammon roles as we sat all together. Dylan felt like someone I knew for a very long time and it was actually weird because I didn’t act all freaked out or awkward infront of him,for he actually felt like part of our family and I liked this vibe very much.

Dylan: Rosaline. Thats such a beautiful name. What school do you go to?

Rosaline: oh thank you. I’m actually homeschooled. I’ve never been out much.

Dylan: that’s okay me neither really. Though you remind me a lot of someone I’ve seen I just can’t remember who.

Rosaline: oh yeah I get that like everyday it’s alright haha.

Dylan: no it feels quite differen.wait...are you Rosaline Smith?!

Rosaline: yes that’s me! How do you know my family name?

Dylan: you wrote an article about lights on your online blog! I absolutely loved it but I never expected to live next to a great Passionate writer!

Rosaline: Oh god! What a universe we live in! I am so glad you like my article!

It was almost midnight and my dad brought us lanterns to make wishes on. we all went up to the roof and each two of us held a lantern. Dylan and I turned the lantern on and then as the clock stroke 12 we released it to fly away as the fire works were also shooting across the sky. At that moment,I was happy,for I could only grasp the feeling of wholeness. Being surrounded by my family and Dylan who felt like a secure place to be held at only made me feel safe. I was happy that my parents keep growing in love together,and I’m happy because Dylan was one of the rarest humans on earth to read my article and he lived next door. I felt like the universe wanted to tell me that the greatest most Weirdest things happen around you when you dont even notice them. It’s like you’ve been living this life full of routines and cycles of repetition and something or someone comes to flip it all upside down. I realized Actually,I don’t mind a little change...and I felt love was coming at me like a huge wave and if that changes me to become the better version of myself and to step out of my shell then let it come and let it come abundantly.


November 28, 2019 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.