0 comments

Fiction

Aldercrest by Kathryn Philpott

The drive of 980 miles was coming to an end. Friends told Kathryn she was too old to drive such a distance alone. This irked her. Kathryn would say she had gone from Portland, Oregon, to Ogden, Utah, so many times it was automatic. Being 74 years old and 4'10" tall and short, with white, thick hair, made her more careful, but she was not afraid. She believed she was still formidable.

Now that this trip was ending, Kathryn was already thinking about one more, maybe the most important. The journey to Utah and back felt unusual and not as carefree as it could have been. There was nothing specific Kathryn could point to that made her feel this way; it just seemed guided by something else. Spending precious time with her oldest daughter and her little sister was important. Since she was retired and single, it was easy for Kathryn to come to them. 

The drive along the Columbia River Gorge, coming into Portland, was shrouded in mist and rain, and the river was full. The view made her think about all the times she and her father had sat in a rowboat with a funky rented motor and fished for salmon. Happy memories of a happy life.

Sitting in the Portland traffic, Kathryn started to plan her next trip. She wanted to see Aldercrest again; it was where her life changed in one magical moment. It was the adventure she was most afraid of. Life was nudging her to see places and people that had meant so much to her. 

So, after a couple of weeks, Kathryn headed out again. She drove to Milwaukie, a suburb of Portland, and prepared to meet her ghosts and see all she had loved and left behind. For many years, she avoided this part of town, not ready or willing to confront the contrast of how life had been and what life had become. She wanted to see Aldercrest again. Happy memories of a happy life.

Hwy 99 hadn't changed that much. There were more trees, or perhaps they had grown since the days from 1961 to 1968, but she felt overwhelmed, like she hadn't been home in 50 years, and all along, home had been waiting for her.

She pulled into the Fred Meyers parking lot and started well-up with emotion. A red 1963 Cutless sedan parked alongside her. Kathryn watched Lester and Pauline Evans get out, take each other's hands, and walk into the store. Kathryn knew they were buying treats for her and her little sister. After all, they were good grandparents, and this is what they loved to do. Just before they disappeared into the store, Pauline kissed Lester on his cheek, and he put his arm around her.

It was getting dark, and there were more places to see before she went to Aldercrest. Kathryn turned onto Oatfield Road and headed to Risley Rd. The house nestled at the top of the hill was still there. She saw Freddy running across the front lawn, chasing a tennis ball that Laurie had just thrown for him. Even though he was a little dog, Freddy was fast. Laurie waved to Kathryn and blew her a kiss. Oh, Laurie. She had always been Kathryn's little sister and remained her best friend.

It started to rain, and Oatfield Road looked like it did when Gary and Kathryn drove along holding each other's hands, singing with the car radio, looking for places to make out. He was the most beautiful and kind man she would ever know.

Kathryn passed Rex Putnam High School and turned left onto McNary Rd and then to the house on Fircrest. This was her road and her favorite home. Gary lived up the street. On warm summer evenings, they would walk and dream of times when they would be together. Viet Nam loomed within conversations, but they held to the hope and belief of youth.

As Kathryn turned into the driveway at the end of the cul-de-sac, she saw her father and sister sitting at the dining table by the big kitchen window. They were playing cards. Gary and Kathryn were sitting on the front porch kissing. The youthful Kathryn waved and walked towards Kathryn's car.

"Come on in. Lester and Pauline are here, and they've invited Gary to dinner. You've got time. Aldercrest isn't going anywhere."

Kathryn shook her head no and watched the 17-year-old Kathryn walk back to Gary, her long red hair cascading down her back like a shawl. Gary loved her hair. When Kathryn would wake up the morning after a date with Gary, she could still smell his cologne on her skin and hair.

Gary's house was dark. No one was there. Gary's car was not in the driveway. Kathryn drove on disappointed. A fog was setting in and created a glow from blurring streetlights. The time blurred on the car's digital display as well. Kathryn knew what that meant. It was time to go to Aldercrest. She drove the back way along Thessin Rd., turned into a 7/11 store, exited her car, and left her purse and keys on the front seat.

She walked to the corner in the dark, thick mist and turned onto Aldercrest Rd. Johnson Creek ran rapidly parallel to the road and sounded fast and full. Kathryn was sure she could find the place, nestled near two tall fir trees even in the dark. It was where she had given her heart and herself to Gary. Promises were made, and time stood still.

"Babets?" It was Gary. He appeared by the streetlight and held out his hand to Kathryn.

"I knew you'd come. I've been waiting." Kathryn took his hand and brushed her long red hair out of her eyes. She looked into his deep brown eyes and kissed his lips. His cologne enveloped her.

           "Are you ready?"

           "I think this time I am," Kathryn replied, feeling Gary's arm wrap around her small shoulders. "Yes, time indeed." 

January 22, 2024 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.