0 comments

Holiday

  "Who are you?" Aria asked while frowning. She did not know the figure standing in front of her.

  "You forgot me?"

The man actually asked back.  

  Aria just silent. She really doesn't remember that person, who suddenly knocked early in the morning at his door.

  "You really forgot me?" asked the man again.

  "Whereas in the past, I often came to your father's house, we are still relatives.

  Aria tried to remember, but she really didn't remember met him before.

'Maybe he just made it up and had bad intentions with my family. I should be careful.'

  "So you still don't believe me?" He then shows her a photo. There was a picture of a boy with Aria's father.

  That woman paused, then nodded.

"All right, I believe in you. But what do you want to come here?"

  The man breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm fighting with someone. That person is looking for and wants to kill me. I want to stay a while in your house."

  Aria was silent again. She wants to help the man. After all they are family, but the uninvited guest is in trouble. Someone wants to kill him. but what if the help provided would put her, her husband, and her child, in trouble?

  Her mind was busy pondering, but finally she nodded.

"Okay, but I don't want to have a problem with my family later."

  The man in front of her smiled.

"Okay," he said and nodding.


***

  "Why do you just believe him? What if he intends evil to us?" Aaron, Aria's husband scolded, while cleaning the snow in the yard. By Christmas, the snow that had piled up was getting thicker.

  She glanced at the guest named Lucas who also helped clean the snow not far from them.

"I've investigated everything and it turns out I do have a distant relative named Lucas. He often gets into trouble with other people, therefore, my other family isolates him, but right now he is in trouble and needs help, I can't just stay quiet when he comes and begs for my help, "said Aria trying to explain.

  "I understand. it's just that I'm worried, lest the good that we give actually bring bad consequences to us. "

  Aria smiled to calm Aaron.

"Maybe this is the magic of Christmas. Families that have long since disappeared can finally be reunited."

  Aaron just nodded. Aria's nature is like that. Too easy to trust others. He must remain vigilant of their guests.


***


  Their family is decorating the Christmas tree and wrapping gifts. Lucas also helped. While occasionally joking with Jessie, Aaron's and Aria's daughters. The little girl looked close with Lucas. That made Aaron even more suspicious.

  "What is wrong with you?" Aria asked when she saw Aaron kept looking at Lucas.

"I'm worried that Lucas has bad intentions and will harm Jessie," he said.

  The wife shook her head at that.

"You are always suspicious of people."


***


  It was late afternoon, when they finished wrapping and arranging the gifts under the beautiful Christmas tree.

There was a knock on the door. Aaron immediately open it, thinking maybe it was the neighbor who came to visit.

He was surprised when he saw people who were stocky and had scary faces standing on the porch of his house.

  "You seem to be hiding here," one of them exclaimed. Their words were not directed at Aaron, but at Lucas, who was standing behind Aaron.

  "Let's talk outside!" Lucas said, hurrying out of the house.

  Aaron and Aria who were standing in the doorway saw Lucas and the people in a serious conversation.

  "Looks like him is in serious trouble. Didn't he say he had a fight with people? Maybe he's looking for trouble with them, "Aaron said quietly.

  "Don't jump to conclusions too soon! Maybe they are friends," said Aria quickly.

Her husband shook his head.

"What kind of people are friends with people like them? There will only be a problem and I don't want anything to happen to you and Jessie."

   Aria nodded slowly.

"I understand what you mean. I will ask Lucas who these people are and what their purpose come here."


***


  "Nothing," Lucas said as Aria discussed the people who met him. The uninvited guests are now gone.

"I only had a little trouble with them, but now everything is fine."

  Aria stared at Lucas for a long time. honestly, She did not know what she should believe in that man. In their entire lives, they had never met, though according to Lucas, they had met as a child. He doesn't remember at all. Aaron was right, she was too easy to believe. maybe she should call and ask her father directly.


***


  "Hello, Father," Aria said quietly. She was in Aaron's study, but she was still afraid if Lucas heard.

  "Merry Christmas, my darling daughter. Sorry, your father and mother have not been able to go there," cried the father across.

  "Merry Christmas, Daddy. I called you to ask if you know Lucas?"

  His father paused for a moment, then a sigh of breath sounded.

"So have you heard the news?"

  "News? What news?"

  "Lucas, the nephew of your aunt was killed and until now, the police are still chasing the killer who are still in run."

  The father's words made Aria speechless. If Lucas is dead, then who is currently with them? could he be the person the police wanted for killing Lucas?


***


  Aria hurried over to Lucas, who was making a snowman with Jessie.

  "Jessie, come in now! I want to talk to Uncle Lucas!" she said firmly.

  "But, Ma'am ..."

  "Come in now, Jes! Follow my orders!"

  The little girl just shut up, then ran inside.

  Aria immediately closed the door. She held her arms and glared at the man in front of her.

  "Who are you? You're not Lucas. I just called my father and he said a few days ago Lucas was killed and the killer hadn't been caught."

   The man smiled slightly.

"So you already know everything?" he asked while staring intently at Aria.

  Aria tried to hold on, even though in her heart, she was afraid. The man might just do reckless and harm her.

  "You want the truth? I really am not Lucas. I just used his identity to hide here, but I didn't kill Lucas. When I came to his place, he was already dead. In his hand, there is your home address, so I came here. "

   Aria shook her head.

"I do not believe you. You are an accomplished liar. This time, you must be lying again.     I'm sure you're the person the police are looking for," she said.

  "If I did kill Lucas, would you and your family still be safe? I could have killed you, not just relaxed and behaved."

  "You might want to take our trust, before killing us all."

The man took a deep breath while closing his face in frustration. The sound of a police car siren could be heard in the distance.

  "I already called the police," said Aria.

"You better turn yourself in!"

  "You made a big mistake, Mrs. Aria," he hissed softly.


***


  Aria was relieved when the man who was named Michael was taken away by the police. His family will be safe now.

  At night, Aria hears Aaron wake up. The woman immediately followed. apparently her husband headed to the workspace.

  The door was closed from the inside, but the man's voice was still clearly heard by Aira who was eavesdropping outside.

"You guys really take care of everything. Lucas always bothered me to borrow money. I even had to pay off his gambling debts. Now I'm relieved to be separated from him. I even got rid of the law after taking him down. Everyone thought Michael had killed Lucas. Really good work! I will give a lot of money to you," said Aaron laughing.

  Not long, he then hung up and hurried out. The man was surprised when he saw Aira who stood while closing her mouth. She stared. She did not believe her husband who really kill Lucas.

  "So ... so you killed Lucas?" she said trembling.

  "You've heard everythingNow shut your mouth or I'm forced to kill you too! "Aaron hissed as he walked closer.

  "I can't! I have to tell the truth to the police!"

"Stupid woman! I'm your husband. You want your husband on jail?"

   Aria shook her head.

"I don't want to, but I have no choice. My life will not be calm, if I am in a lie," he said with tears in his eyes.

   Aaron choked and grabbed her long hair.

"Stupid! You think I'll let you live because you're my wife. You'd rather die than expose my secret."


***


  Blam !!!

The lights come from outside and the door is smashed open wide. The police officer came in while pointing a gun at Aaron.

  "Release your wife now!" ordered one of them.

The man shook his head in confusion.

  "How? How did you know about me?"

  "I did it!" said Michael, who was standing behind the police officer.

  "I came here because of the name card in Lucas's hand, but I'm also suspicious that everything must be related to his death. If not, why would he bring a name card from a family he never met?"

  "Wh-what? Who are you really?" said Aaron in a panic.

  "I'm a detective and I've been tapping phones in this house, including in your workplace. Your conversation with your men is enough to prove it. Oh yes, they have now been arrested and all testify about your crime."

  "No! No! I don't want to go to jail! Let me go! If not, "Aaron reached for the knife on the table," I will kill her,"he said as he put the knife around Aria's neck.

   "Troublesome!" Michael exclaimed calmly as he reached for the gun and aimed it at Aaron

  "What are you doing? Have you gone mad? This woman will die, if you don't lower your gun and let me go. "

   The gun in Michael's hand went off and hit Aaron's shoulder. The man screamed in pain. The police immediately arrested him and took him.

   Michael immediately approached Aria.

"Are you okay?"

   The woman nodded.

"I'm fine. I'm sorry for not trusting you!"

   Michael smiled and nodded.


***


  Jessie who was awakened by the noise seemed to walk slowly while rubbing her eyes that were still half closed.

  "Mother, what's up?"

Aria immediately hugged her baby.

  "Nothing, dear."

  "Where did Daddy go? Why he is not here?"

  Aria was silent. She was confused about what to answer.

"Uncle Lucas, have Daddy been arrested by police like uncle?" asked the little girl again while pointing at the police officers who were still combing the house to gather evidence.

  "That's right," Michael said, nodding.

  "But why? Are Daddy a criminal?"

   Michael shook his head while smiling.

"Jessie's dad just made a little mistake. Anyone can do wrong, including Jessie's Daddy. Later, when Jessie's father has become a better person, the police will definitely let him go home. "

  The little girl yawned widely.

"But I'm glad Uncle Lucas is here," she said with a smile.

Not long, she was asleep again. Michael carried her to the room.

  "Christmas tomorrow, I want to come and celebrate with you and Jessie," asked Michael.

   Aria smiled and nodded.

"Of course you have to come. Jessie will definitely be waiting for you. Your presence must have made her forget the sadness of celebrating Christmas without Aaron."

  Michael nodded surely. He then left home. Now, Aria is left alone. crying because the loss of a husband she loved was mixed with disappointment because Aaron could even kill her to save himself. Slowly, wiping tears, she was crying enough for her husband. Now, she must to turn over a new page and reorganize her life with Jessie. At least, on Christmas tomorrow, he and Jessie must be happy even without Aaron.


The end


December 23, 2019 12:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.