54 comments

Crime Thriller Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

When Jack set out to buy a red dahlia on the morning of the 29th of March, he didn’t expect he only had hours left to live. But even if he would have known he still would have bought it, because it was for Lisa. And he’d do anything for Lisa.

He hit the cool, hard dirt of his barn, just as the sun began setting. It had been a lukewarm day with a cutting breeze, and with each laboured breath, with each wet wheeze, he felt himself grow colder.

There was a warm patch on his chest, and another pooling around his back and shoulders. And there was a biting heat somewhere inside him – through his ribcage, through his lung.

The pain was insistent and growing more severe, but it was tempered by his dimming mind. A part of him had always wondered what it felt like to get shot. Then he turned his attention to Lisa.

This was their anniversary – the most important day of the year, in his mind. Going through their ritual gave him life. It was a renewal of things, of vows – of everything. Could this really be the end? He saw his increasingly limp fingers still held the red dahlia.

The clerk at the florists had told him that the red dahlia was special, which he knew. She told him it signified loyalty, an undying devotion. Jack chuckled, because this he also knew.

“And undying love,” he added.

He first met Lisa twenty one years ago, and it had taken him a full year to muster up the courage to approach her. But she’d been with him ever since. Through the good times and the bad, and every spring, on the 29th of March, he bought her a red dahlia and re-enacted their first encounter.

It meant the world to him. It reminded him what being alive felt like.

“It also signifies inner strength,” the clerk said.

That was new for Jack, but he liked it. Inner strength was good. Any strength was good, for a man growing increasingly old in a world that refused to understand him. Maybe he could muster that inner strength now, to do what he had to.

He forced his eyes open and grit his teeth. He could hear shouting in the dark barn, all around his property. Every breath hurt – but then he heard it. A woman sobbed.

Lisa.

With a herculean grunt, he rolled onto his side. Lisa screamed, and the men’s voices rose to shouting. He could see shadows running towards him, with handguns pointing his way. How many were there? Why were they here? Why on this of all days?

A flashlight momentarily blinded him and the figures drew closer. Every movement was torture, and he felt so weak, an iceberg halfway melted. But he wouldn’t give up. Inner strength. The red dahlia. Lisa’s flower.

He spotted his powered hedge trimmer laying nearby. If he could just reach it, maybe he’d have a fighting chance.

They were both fighters, weren’t they? Every one of the past nineteen years, Lisa had protested against the anniversary. She was playing, of course. She didn’t mean it. But she’d act like it didn’t interest her. That was just her role though, playing hard to get. The trouble was, she seemed harder to get each year. She was made for freedom, thrived on it.

Couldn’t live without it.

Maybe she was right, in a way. He looked forward to each 29th of March, and it did invigorate him, but it was never quite the same as the first time. Maybe it was like any other kind of relationship, wilting with time. It needed constant effort and work to keep alive. Constant renewal.

Jack knew that. Jack knew he had to go through the motions, even if the magic wasn’t quite as real today as the previous day. Even if her skin wasn’t quite as smooth, nor her voice as melodic. Even if his joints hurt. He had to, because there was always a chance at recapturing that initial rush. He owed it to himself, and to Lisa, to at least try.

Maybe he did have inner strength after all. A lesser man might have cut his losses and walked away. A flighty animal, light and soft and without roots. No, that wasn’t the life for Jack. He always preferred to settle down and weather the storm.

It was during a storm he first saw Lisa. The way her wild red hair whipped in the wind. Everyone else ran for cover, but she laughed with a clear, beautiful voice, and danced to the tune of storm clouds. She was part wind, an alluring creature half-fey, and he knew then that she would be his. Even though she could not be held, even though she needed to be free, she would be his too. He’d be the one that truly set her free.

And a year later, he did. He still remembered the taste of her lips, how it felt to run his hands through her silken hair. Her supple neck.

Jack reached for the hedge trimmer and rose to one knee with a roar. Lisa was his, and he wouldn’t let these interlopers, these murderers, to come between them. They shouted at him as he struggled to his feet. There were flashes of light, bangs. He yanked the trimmer’s pull cord and the machine came to life.

He knew that this was probably it for him. A rational part of him realized he’d lost a lot of blood and wasn’t done dripping. But maybe, just maybe, if he could muster enough of that inner strength, he could still set Lisa free.

Just one more time.

Something hot cut into Jack’s arm, the world’s fattest hornet. He shrugged it off with another roar. There were people all around him, all of them with their little guns and their little vests, all of them standing between him and her. And there she was, at the other end of the barn.

Lisa.

Her eyes were wide and her skin was pale, and she was so terribly frightened. And her hair, clammy and stuck to her scalp. And black, yes. This year’s Lisa had black hair.

He raised his trimmer high and surged towards her and all the little ants around him screamed and flashed their flashlights and badges and fired their weapons. Metal tore into his flesh but he felt none of it – until he was suddenly on his back again, his legs no longer listening to reason.

He had failed. Red blossomed in his vision. So much red, like the first time he had set Lisa free. It had been a different hedge trimmer back then too, but she ended up so light, so unburdened, so at peace. So perfect. And when he set her free, he set himself free too, truly living for the first time.

The eighteen Lisas that followed her could never live up to the original. And this last one? Oh, he had failed her, the poor dear. She remained burdened. And now, there was so much red.

Red like Lisa’s hair.

Red like the dahlia.

March 29, 2023 21:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Kelsey H
06:59 Apr 03, 2023

Even before I started reading, I was interested in the juxtaposition the prompt with the tags of crime and horror! It started out as a portrayal of a loving relationship, then little hints crept in that things weren't so great anymore, over time her feelings for him might have ebbed. Him grabbing a hedge trimmer was the first sign something of something potentially grotesque going on, then more little odd things creep in and I was wondering if he had discovered she was cheating on him, until the final scene when everything falls into place....

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:47 Apr 04, 2023

Thanks, Kelsey! That's precisely how I wanted it to come across - very happy it did :) I've always liked unreliable narrators, because they give us two stories: their own, and the real one. (Though I suppose that's true of any narrator that isn't omniscient.) Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
00:47 Apr 03, 2023

My favorite thing about this piece is how interwoven the theme and the language are. Like here for example: “Maybe it was like any other kind of relationship, wilting with time. It needed constant effort and work to keep alive. Constant renewal.” The double meaning it carries—describing both relationships and flowers—is so clever. The same with the color red—red for flowers, blood, hair. And you sort of bring all this imagery together with interchangeable metaphoric language: “Red blossomed in his vision.” Beautiful writing, even in a horro...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:52 Apr 03, 2023

Thanks, Aeris! I'm glad you picked up on all that, as it was a conscious choice of language. I think it's easy for us to think of ourselves as somehow separate from nature, but we're part of those life/death, winter/spring cycles too. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
07:47 Apr 02, 2023

Hi Michal, Great thriller story. When the first shot happened, I thought it was Lisa - I had her pinpointed as a murderer - I'm clearly not romantic enough. But no, it Mr Horrible with red dahlias! Many thanks for writing and sharing - a good story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 Apr 03, 2023

Thanks, Stevie! Yeah, I was hoping to make Jack appear like the victim initially, as no doubt he sees himself that way - but of course, his worldview isn't particularly reliable. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
14:22 Apr 01, 2023

Nice twist, although I was quite confused after 1st reading. I thought either they are clones of Lisa or Jack had gone through some multiverse situation, which coincidentally is my initial approach to the prompt.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:54 Apr 03, 2023

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, especially if it was confusing. The idea was he's a serial killer, murdering a "Lisa" every year. I think I could have made it more clear it was police who had finally caught up to him. The multiverse idea is neat :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
08:46 Mar 31, 2023

What a wonderful, suspenseful, horror-laden tale, Michal. You know, I wrote a horror story this week as well. Yours feels more like "Silence of the Lambs," and mine is more like "Kiss the Girls." Same author, but one story is clearly superior. As is yours. Everything you wrote led to the final, revealing paragraphs. What a great twist - much better than mine. Oooh! Multiple Lisas. That was chilling, my friend. Poe couldn't do any better. Everything worked here, except that I feel like using the word "drip" when describing the loss of blood...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:02 Mar 31, 2023

Thanks Del! You know, you're the second person that pointed out "lukewarm" - I think I'm definitely misusing it. I appreciate you pointing it out. I'm glad it was enjoyable, though I had some reservations. Maybe because it's been something of a week, maybe because this is the third rewrite. Or maybe because we criticize our own work. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
02:04 Mar 31, 2023

aww Michal. a sad-sweet mix, but a good read, nonetheless. thanks for sharing!! :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:04 Mar 31, 2023

Thanks, Lilah! Though I'd like to think it's a happy ending, since she survives :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:17 Mar 30, 2023

Yes on this! All the bone tingling chills 😱 All the eeriness 😱 The last three paragraphs are worth the price of admission…

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:58 Mar 31, 2023

Thanks, Deidra! It really was all just a setup for the reveal :) But this one took quite a few rewrites, and I'm not 100% satisfied with it. I think I need to practice more crime and thriller. No rest for the writer :)

Reply

12:47 Mar 31, 2023

I thought the payoff was spectacular. You've stuck the landing like an Olympic gymnast! I understand your need to tinker...to paraphrase David Fincher, “[Stories] aren’t finished, they’re abandoned. And you have to make your peace with that.”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
17:31 Mar 30, 2023

Well, I'm not sure I like Suma saying 'Jack' is a good choice for a psychopath, but I liked the switch. ;-) I was thinking this was one of those 'heartfelt' love stories and then my interest rose once 'So much red, like the first time he had set Lisa free' came into play. Truth is, I would increase the tension by more focusing, expanding, on the last three paragraphs and get into the twisted motivations of the psychopath even before he's shot. As always great detailed descriptions; 'cutting breeze, and with each laboured breath, with e...

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:18 Mar 31, 2023

Thank you for the feedback, Jack! "pretty meaningless" - not at all. I very much appreciate it, and I'm inclined to agree with you - this didn't end up quite the way I initially envisioned, but then, what story does? A deeper dive into his motivations is a great idea. I have some ideas on how to expand it and improve it, but I'm not sure I'll find the time before the cutoff. Bit of a whirlwind in the real world this week. This is already the third rewrite of this tale - I think I need practice with crime and thrillers :) I'm glad to hear ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:19 Mar 30, 2023

Michal, This sent chills down my spine when I reached the penultimate paragraph. The suspense held taut throughout, the pace was on point, and the red-themed imagery worked really well for the psychopathic stalker's monologue. As a woman, with the understanding that this kind of situation can be very real, just made the reading experience even more visceral for me. Great job at delivering a horror, Michal. P.S. And yes, the choice of name Jack- even more chilling.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks Suma, glad the horror came through. Winter to spring always puts me in mind of death and life, and how they're connected - though it lead to a darker tale this week. His driving obsession and rituals were murderous, but ultimately his death is what allowed others to live. I appreciate the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:37 Mar 30, 2023

Love the opening line! The beginning started out as a man saving the Love of his Life from certain danger, until it becomes apparent that the certain danger, the imminent peril, is him. I have not seen a hedge trimmer as a serial murder weapon before! Except of course at the beginning of spring ;)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:05 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks, Marty! Yup, knives have been done to death :) I'm glad his true nature was apparent by the end, was worried it'd be too subtle or murky. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:01 Mar 30, 2023

Michał, this story is full of intrigue. Why and who were after them? The description of freedom as it related to Lisa was very well done. I enjoyed the diction used around Jack in his barn and what was available to him along with his thoughts of Lisa. I found them realistic and relatable about how a man would feel toward a woman such as Lisa. The significance of the colour red and the explanation of the dahlia's symbolism captures the reader's interest off the hop and you don't disappoint. Lisa is what every woman would probably like to ex...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:07 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks, Lily! Yes, not my usual, but we do have to stretch our wings :) And I was having a hell of a time with this prompt. What I was going for was that Jack seemed like the victim initially, but little inconsistencies add up, and by the end we see he's a serial killer. I think I might have made it too subtle though, with just one mention of "badges" to indicate the invaders might be police, and a mention that there were multiple Lisas. Maybe I can find a way to stress that. I appreciate the feedback! I'm particularly glad the colour re...

Reply

Lily Finch
21:25 Mar 30, 2023

My other thought was that about Jack being the killer but I missed the connection that he had multiple Lisas because of the half-fey piece and the mention of light. I just watched a show where half-fey were people who had children with fairies. Half and half. Sorry I missed your wonderful plot. D'uh on my part. LF6 Please allow me a mulligan on this one. Thanks.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:21 Mar 30, 2023

Ha, no worries, Lily :) It's the writer's fault :) I do like the idea of hybrids like that, half-and-half. Sounds a bit like changelings, and could probably make for some good, dark urban fantasy.

Reply

Lily Finch
23:09 Mar 30, 2023

Nah, the best of story writers write tales that can be interpreted many ways. When a writer writes with a cornered story in mind sometimes it works but when there are different ways to interpret the information written there are advantages to that format also. That's how I think about creative writing anyway but I could be wrong. I've been known to be wrong in my past quite a bit. :) LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
20:47 Apr 06, 2023

Late to the party this week, Michał, but boy this was a wild trip to the dark side of Przywaraville. Guess I should've seen that coming from the genre tags, but I didn't. Lots of things I appreciated here. The opening sentence was a good hook, and totally screams "Thriller." The imagery was great throughout - I love the color red as a motif, the metaphors were strong (see: hornet line, half-fey line, flighty animal line, etc.). The last three sentences were a good example of a satisfying payoff. And I appreciate the look into the mentality ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:49 Apr 08, 2023

Hey Zack! Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm not entirely satisfied with the story, and I think you put into words why - it's too subtle. A couple readers mentioned they needed a second read, and that's a good sign something's off. I'm glad some of the other things work though. Not my usual genres, and a good - sometimes frustrating :) - learning experience.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Solstice
17:47 Apr 06, 2023

Okay...WOW. I had to read through that a couple times to understand what was going on, but I absolutely love the way you told it! Like if you weren't paying attention, it just sounded like a strange love story. It wasn't until I read it the second time that I got all the hidden meanings... that "setting Lisa free" wasn't at all what I thought it was... and the "red blossoming"...all the hidden meanings and descriptions were so good! I think overall it was a really creepy, really well put together story. Awesome job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 Apr 06, 2023

Thanks, Julia! That's exactly what I was going for - something that seems safe, except something about it isn't quite right, and it's all kind of a façade for something really dangerous. I imagine that's how Jack came across in life, especially to his victims. Just a friendly, unremarkable guy - and maybe there was just a suspicion that something was off. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
14:38 Apr 06, 2023

Yikes, Creepy. Artfully misleading. Until the third paragraph, then you know. When I first read the line, 'He hit the cool, hard dirt of his barn just as the sun began setting.' I pictured a man with a shovel, getting ready to plant that flower. And yet, you're not trying to fool anyone. The first paragraph tells us he will die, the third paragraph tells us that he is dying. But for some reason I kept wondering about that second paragraph. I wonder how it would affect the story if you rearranged those first three paragraphs? (And started t...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 Apr 06, 2023

That's an interesting observation, Ken. It didn't occur to me that the second paragraph could be misleading until you mentioned it, but yeah, now I see it. If it wasn't already approved, I'd be inclined to change it. Swapping the order of the paragraphs is a neat idea. I'm not sold on "He hit the cool, hard dirt of his barn, just as the sun began setting" being a good opening line though. It's decent, but it would need some work. Food for thought, for the future. Thanks for the valuable feedback! I've not read Grendel, though a ret...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ash Egan
12:54 Apr 06, 2023

Really enjoyed reading this. Particularly how the twist slowly reveals itself throughout the tale. Just when you think you've got a hold of it, it takes another dark turn. It flowed so well too. I was pulled along all the way. You read my story so you know I had a similar idea to juxtapose the mundane and/or pleasurable task of buying flowers with something much darker and you did a fantastic job of this. Thanks!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 Apr 06, 2023

Yup! Definitely some similarities in approach :) Spring's a lovely time of year (well, not here, we just got another load of snow) but I think themes of both life and death are fitting the season. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ash, and I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
01:31 Apr 06, 2023

A one-a-year serial killer with a penchant for red who cranks it up every March 29th....gave me chills.... ...world’s fattest hornet.....terrific visual imagery.-:) Nailed it again with this one, Michal. Cheers! RG

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:28 Apr 06, 2023

Thanks, Richard! I liked the hornet line too - though I don't know how accurate it might be as I've never been shot, and there are limits to how much I'll research experientially :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Richard E. Gower
18:41 Apr 06, 2023

Yes, re experimenting to verify the feeling of a bullet, probably not a good plan...although according to the Internet, it's been done, with predictable results. -:) But "world's fattest hornet" still works for me. -:) Cheers! RG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
00:35 Apr 06, 2023

This read was many things, Michal, and each level gave it more depth and body, culminating in a truth - because life doesn't give it to you, or anyone else, straight. We are made up of many moving pieces and such is our experience as it unfolds, ready or not. You think you may be in charge or something, anything, and that's just one part of it. Takes hindsight for a decent look, if you care to acknowledge the whole picture. And is it the whole really? By whose interpretation. It's a complicated business. At the end of the day, you tak...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:54 Apr 06, 2023

"man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest" - yes, great point! There's a powerful drive within us to be right, reality be damned. But life would probably be pretty boring if we were all always rational :) Thanks for reading, Susan! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
03:06 Apr 05, 2023

Hey Michal, Oh this was bone chilling. I loved the way you managed to create intense mystery with this. And the incorporation of the flowers was haunting. It absolutely gave me a feeling that something very wrong was going to happen-even though I was utterly charmed by the way the narrator spoke of his devotion to Lisa. Nice work with this one and good luck!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:07 Apr 05, 2023

Thanks, Lisa! That's the feeling I was hoping for, that suspicion that something isn't adding up. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karel Fontaine
00:33 Apr 05, 2023

Michael, what a master of nuance and subtlety you are. Although, a horrific denouement, your story, as always, masterful. I am learning much from you technically but I could NEVER match your imagination. Thank you, cheers

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:09 Apr 05, 2023

Thank you very much, Karel! I'm pleased to hear the work is good to learn from. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
21:22 Apr 04, 2023

Really like how you handled this. Very much lovely and romantic; you lead the reader on thinking it's going to be the MC getting the flowers to his wife. Very lovely. And then we're wondering what villains have shot him, how has this lovely man gotten tangled up with gun toting types? You gave us the clues: "for a man growing increasingly old in a world that refused to understand him" like the excellent writer you are, but of course the complaint is a common one to aging men, so the reader keeps on, hoping for the poignant ending that will s...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:32 Apr 05, 2023

"like doing a 180 shift, and suddenly shadows are cast all over all that sunshine and the sweetness is corrupted" - excellent way of putting it, and I'm glad it came across that way. Regarding you question - first off, if there ever is critique or criticism, please do feel free to share it, as I certainly have a lot of room to improve my craft and it would be welcome - but regarding the question: the key driving force I had in mind for Jack was obsession. With Lisa, with the anniversary, with the ritualalized re-enactment. Thus, even his ow...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
09:40 Apr 05, 2023

I think your reasoning works, since that was the speed bump that caught me up that something was not quite right. I think making less standard choices is skillful, something I need to work on. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.