0 comments

American Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Alex a nineteen year old decide to fall off the grid so now one can find him. He is tired of the constant following and unfollowing of people on social media. Tired of people saying they are his friends when they really are not. So Alex decides to go off grid for a while he takes all of his birth day money he saved up. Rents a cabin up in the mountains where there is no television service or wifi or cell phone service.

He wanted to just ignore everyone and wanted to relax also to just get away. Alex did not want to worry about social media. Or worry about followers trying to keep them happy trying to come up with, new and interesting things every single day. He is just tired on the way up to the cabin Alex watches his phone. To make sure that there is absolutely no cell phone service.

When Alex finally gets to the cabin he looks at his phone there are no bars. He turns off his phone puts it in his bag and walks up to the cabin unlocks the door. Walks in looks around does not see a television looks for a phone no phone. Alex takes in a deep breath saying to his self.

Alex: ( Finally I can relax no worries. No social media no phone to bother me just peace at last. I should have done this a long time ago.)

While Alex is enjoying his peace at the cabin his social media is going crazy. Because he has not been posting. Alex plans on staying at this cabin for a week with no worries about social media. He did not tell any of his followers what he will be doing after a couple days of peace and quiet. Alex begins to wonder what his followers are doing. 

Not worrying much about it Alex takes a hick through the woods. He felt like listening to the birds and hear the wind blow through the trees. On his hick Alex is seriously thinking about quitting social media all together. He begins to weigh the options on quitting social media he, finally comes to a decision to quit social media. But how does he do it just do it cold and uninstall all the apps on his phone. Or does he warn all of his followers he is doing it.

Alex thinks about how to do it the rest of the time he is at the cabin. On his last day he decides to let them know as Alex packs up his car. He turns his phone back on lets it charge up some in the car because it is going to be a long day for him. On his way down the mountain his phone slowly come back into service. Once his phone is fully in service it start going crazy.

Alex stops the car at a gas station to look at his phone to see all the messages. One message catches his eye it reads.

Message: ( Alex I do not know where you are. But you seriously need to get a hold of me. It is urgent we need you here now call your mom she will fill you in.)

Alex thinks to his self.

Alex: ( What could possibly be going on? My sister has never messages me anything like that. She know that I like time to my self. I better call mom to see what is going on.)

Alex dials his moms number while the phone ringer thousand things go his mind. Could some one be hurt is dad okay he has been sick what? What if? What if? Finally his mom answers.

Mom: ( Alex thank God you called.)

Alex: ( What is going on mom? I told you I was going up to the cabin is every one okay.)

Mom: ( No there have been disappearance’s all over the world.)

Alex: ( What?)

Mom: ( Yes! While you been up at the cabin we have had that and we been invaded.)

Alex: ( Invaded by who?)

Mom: ( Aliens!)

Alex: ( Yeah right mom.)

Mom: ( Just get home you will see.)

Alex: ( Okay.)

On his way home Alex starts laughing his mom really thinks. He is going to fall for that also his friend taking part in it. All the way home Alex looks around sees some buildings on fire car’s wrecked. Military trucks every where with them loading dead bodies in the trucks. Alex thinks to his self.

Alex: ( Wow my mom was right. I just thought this was some sort of joke because I went off on my own. For a week I can not believe we got invaded by aliens wow.)

But what Alex does not know is that while he was on his own. He was one of the people that disappeared but he, has yet to figure that out but will very soon. While he was off in the mountains he took a walk to listen to the birds. Also to listen to the wind when he did that a ship flew over head scanning the area. The ship seen Alex bringing him aboard in a trance.

The aliens looked him over as they was looking him over. They put a implant inside of him this implant will soon take over him. Making him do things things that will help the aliens take over earth. Alex does not even know it is in side of him there is not even a scare. Where they put it in at if Alex gets home and his mother does not see a difference in him.

Then now one will Alex makes the three hour trip home from the mountains. He begins to notice that his neck itch's he thinks he may have gotten bit. Maybe by a spider or mosquito so he give his neck a scratch and thinks nothing. Of it Alex finally makes it to his house his mom watching out the window. He makes his way to the door before he can open it his mother does.

Mom: ( Thank God you are here I was so worried.)

Alex: ( I see you are worried. But there was nothing to worry about I was in the mountains they did not find me.)

Mom: ( They came over the mountains. Did you not see them?)

Alex: ( No. I spent most of the time in doors relaxing. I went out side one time to listen to the bird and the wind blow through the trees. Other than that I did not see or hear anything.)

His mom stops hugging him takes a step back giving him a strange look.

Alex: ( Mom? What is wrong? What are you doing?)

Mom: ( Strip.)

Alex: ( What?)( chuckles)

Mom: ( Strip. The new says that some people that see or heard nothing have been implanted.)

Alex gives his mom a strange look.

Alex: ( Mom what are you talking about? Just because I did not see them or hear them does not mean. I have a implant inside of me.)

Mom: ( ALEX! Just strip so we can be sure.)

Alex: ( Okay mom.)

Alex strips down to his boxers his mother walks around him looking. As carefully as she can but it is to bright in the house right now. So his mother tells him to go to the bathroom so they can close the door and she could see. In the dark of the bathroom Alex stands there quietly as his mother walks around him. Looking his mother then says.

Mom: ( You may think it is strange that I am looking for a implant. In the dark but our family friend did the same to his family and found a flashing light. In his wife’s back she had to be taken so the could try to get it out.)

Alex remains quiet his mother stops dead in her tracks. Looking at his back and begins to whimper Alex say.

Alex: ( What? What is it? What is going on? )

Mom: ( You have a implant in you.)

Alex: ( What? Where? Where at?)

Mom: ( It is at the base of neck.)

Alex: ( How do I get it out? )

Mom: ( It is a faint flash so it is in there deep. I do not know if it can come out.)

Alex : ( What happens now? )

Mom: ( I have to call the army maybe they could get it out.)

Alex’s mom leaves the bathroom in tear’s as she makes her way to the phone. All Alex can do is stand there in the bathroom in disbelief if he did not decide to go to the mountains. Then he would not be in this situation he hears his mother on the phone talking to some one. She come back to Alex saying.

Mom: ( The army will be here to get you in a couple of minutes.)

Alex: ( Then what?)

Mom: ( I have no idea.)

Alex gets dressed walks out of the bathroom looks out of the window. Sees the military trucks out side gives his mom a hug. They say their good byes to each other he begins walking slowly to the trucks. A flash of light shoots down out of the sky surrounding Alex a soldier runs up to Alex. The soldier hit the beam of light and fly’s backwards Alex gets sucked up into the sky.

His mother runs out to where he was looks up at the sky screaming his name. Falls to the ground crying all of Alex’s friends show up to see him. Instead of his friends seeing him they fall witness to the after math of what just took place. Not knowing what is going on they rush up to Alex’s mom. They get her to calm down enough to tell them what is going on.

Alex’s mom tells them what happened everything from him. Taking a innocent trip to the mountains by his self to coming back with the implant to the military showing up to Alex being sucked into the sky.

One innocent decision going off by his self to coming home to be taken again. Now a mother has to face not knowing when or if she will ever see her son again. 

May 26, 2021 18:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.