0 comments

Romance Sad Coming of Age

What if...?

That was the question that Vance hace always asked himself. What if I had actually told the truth? What would've happened then? His mind would fill with thoughts about every possible outcome, but for some reason in all these possibilities Vance would never actually tell the truth. No, he would just find any way to avoid answering the question honestly. But he just couldn't help but wonder... What if...?

Vance woke up to someone shaking him. He groggily lifted himself out of bed and looking at the person rushing around the room. It was his sister.

Mallory was disheavled. Her hair wasn't combed or styled, she hadn't put on her glasses yer and she was shoving everything into her backpack.

"Mallory?" Vance tiredly asked, "Why are you in such a rush?"

His sister didn't look at him and kept getting ready for the day in a quick manner. "Look at the time Vance. We're going to be late," she said.

Vance put on his glasses, checking the time on his phone, 7:18 A.M. "Oh crap!" He cursed, "How'd we end up sleeping in?"

"Not sure," his sister replied, "But we're going to be late in eleven minutes."

Vance quickly got dressed for school, grabbing his backpack and following his sister out of the house.

The bell rang out loudly as Vance and Mallory entered their classroom. All the other students were sitting in their seats, staring at the two as they barged in.

"Mallory and Vance Young. You two are late," the teacher said, crossing her arms.

"It was only by a few seconds," Mallory said, "We were here just in time."

"It still counts as you being late," the teacher said, "You have to be in the classroom before the bell rings."

Mallory scoffed. 'We were in the classroom before the bell rang," she said.

"Mallory Young. Quit it with your attitude," the teacher said, "You and your brother were late and that is final."

"Oh, fuck off," Mallory muttered. She didn't say it quietly enough.

"That's it Mallory!" The teacher yelled, "Go to the office!"

Vance watched as his sister stormed off, slamming the door shut as she left. A few of the other students chuckled and some started whispering. Vance sighed, taking his seat in the front of the class.

"Now that this is all settled. We'll continue on with today's lesson."

Vance hardly paid attention to the teacher's lesson as he was thinking about how his sister had gotten sent to the office yer again. Mallory really needs to get her temper under control, he thought.

"Do you think Mallory is gonna get detention?" A voice whispered to Vance.

Vance glanced over to the desk beside his own. Arianna was staring at him with those dazzling turquoise eyes of hers.

"I'm not really sure," he whispered back, "She might, considering this is the fifth time this month that she's been sent to the office."

Arianna shook her head, causing her orange hari to fall on her face slightly. "She's really gotta ben mroe calm in a situation like this," she said, "Kinda like how you were."

"Well, you know Mallory," Vance said, "She just sometimes doesn't know when to stop arguing."

"Vance and Arianna," the teacher called out, "Quit your whispering and pay attention."

The two immediately stopped their conversation, focusing once more on the teacher's words.

Vance stretched his arms over his head. It was lunch now, only a few more hours until the school day would finally come to an end. He watched as the other students made their way to lunch, some staying here and others going home.

"Guess what Vance," Mallory said, leaning against the lockers. "I've got detention all of next week."

Vance shook his head. "Well, you shouldn't have argued with the teacher," he said.

Mallory sighed heavily. "I guess you're right," she reluctantly agreed, "But we were practically inside the classroom when the bell rang."

"Yeah, I know Mal," he said, "Next time this happens, just try to not get so upset, alright?"

Mallory nodded her head. "Alright," she said, "I'll get better control over my temper."

Vance smiled. He was glad that his sister had come to her senses and was thinking more calmly now.

"Hey Vance!" Arianna called out, running up to Vance and his sister. "I've got something to ask you."

"What did you want to ask?" Vance said.

Arianna dug through her backpack, before pulling out a heart-shaped box and holding it out towards Vance. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go on a date with me," she said.

Vance felt his face flush red, he averted his eyes from Arianna. "I... Well..." He stammered, then took a deep breath. "Yes," he said finally, "I'd love to go on a date with you Arianna."

Arianna smiled so brightly. She opened the heart-shaped box, revealing a bracelet made up of colorful beads and small artificial flowers. "I made this for you," she said, trying the bracelet around Vance's wrist, "I hope you like it. My sister and your little brother helped make this as well."

Vance looked at the bracelet admirably. "It's really pretty," he said, "Thanks so much for this gift."

Arianna gave a smile. "It's no problem, really," she said, "So, for out date. How does this weekend sound?"

"The weekend works for me," Vance said, "Just come over when you're ready."

Arianna and Vance made plans to meet at Vance's house and then head to the nearby café. Arianna then waved goodbye to Vance and Mallory and headed off.

Vance looked at himself in the mirror. He didn't want to dress too fancy, after all, this was a simple date. Vance had worn something nice, nothing too nice though. He was just wearing a simple white button-up shirt, a light, pale green cardigan, dark blue jeans and a pair of white sneakers.

"Wow, I didn't expect you to be dressed so nice," Mallory said, walking inside the bedroom, "Arianna is in the living room. She's real excited about this."

"Thanks for letting me know Mal," he said.

Mallory grinned, playfully shoving Vance to the door. "Go and have fun," she said, "I'll take care of your chores for today."

Vance smiled. "Thanks Mal," he said, "I'll make sure we have an absolutely great time.

Vance walked into the living room. Arianna was standing by the front door, clutching her purse in her hands. She was also dressed simple, wearing a light pink, frilly dress, black leggings and a pair of white Mary Janes. Arianna had also put on light make-up. Pink lipstick and light blush.

Arianna smiled when she saw Vance. "Hey, " she said, giving him a hug, "You look nice. I'm glad you didn't dress too over the top."

Vance laughed. "I didn't want to overdress," he said, "You look nice as well."

'Let's go to the café," she said, "I'm getting hungry."

Arianna held Vance's hand and the two walked off to the café for their first date.

Vance had just finished watering the plants in the shop, when he heard the faint sound of the bell jingling, alerting him that a customer had now entered the shop.

He set down the watering can on the nearby shelf and walked to the next room to greet the newest guest

"Hello there!" Vance said cheerfully, "How can I help you today?"

"Wow, I didn't expect such a warm welcome," a familiar voice said.

Vance stared at the person in front of him. She had changed over the years, but he recognized his sister from anywhere. "Mallory!" He said, pulling his sister into a hug, "It's been months since I last saw you. How have you been?"

Mallory returned the hug. "I've been good, Vance," she said, "I've made a good career acting in some TV shows."

Vance let go of his sister, smiling. "That's great," he said, "Although, I never expected you to take up acting as a career."

Mallory shrugged. "Well, I guess I eventually realized that I did indeed have a passion for theatre," she said. She looked around the shop, filled with all sorts of flowers and plants. "It seems like you've set up a nice little shop here."

"Well, I've always had a passion for gardening and decided to share that with others," Vance said.

Mallory smiled. "Pietro just started college, I think he's studying journalism. And Lewis is in third grade now."

"Wow," Vance said, "I can't beleive Pietro is already in college and Lewis is in third grade. Those two have grown up so fast," he said, "I'm glad the two are having a good life."

"Oh yeah," Mallory said, "How's Arianna?" She asked.

"Arianna is doing well," Vance said, smiling, "We're planning to get married in five years and maybe have a kid."

Mallory smiled. "That's nice," she said, "I'm really glad that you two have gotten along so well. You both seem so happy together."

Vance and his sister chatted for a moment longer. They reminisced about childhood and talked about how proud they were of their younger brothers.

Vance and Arianna got married five years later at age thirty. Mallory was there, as well as Vance's brothers, Pietro and Lewis. The wedding was a moment to be remembered. Vance and Arianna saying their vows, promising to be together forever until death. Mallory shedding tears for the first time in a long while, so happy for her brother. The four siblings gathering for a hug, all wishing Vance the best. That was the best moment of Vance's life.

A few months later Arianna was pregnant with their child. Vance remembered hearing the news and crying tears of joy. He called his sister and brothers, who were equally excited. Arianna and Vance bought a bunch of clothes and baby toys for the nursery. Both laughing while painting the baby's room. Just nine more months and their little bundle of joy would be born.

But of course. All good things must come to an end someday...

Vance woke up, sitting at his desk. He was exhausted and couldn't remember where he was. After his eyes adjusted, he found himself inside his apartment. Siting at his desk, with an incomplete animation he was supposed to be sending to this boss the next day.

Vance shook his head. That was all a dream, he thought. Of course it was a dream. In reality he had never built up the courage to accept Arianna's confession. He had just lied to her and said that he didn't feel the same way. How stupid he had been back then. He should've told Arianna the truth, maybe then he wouldn't be sat in his empty apartment, working all day and night on animations for a children's cartoon.

But that dream did suddenly change something inside of him.

Perhaps it was time to stop thinking about the past and focus on what he was going now. It was time to start thinking more about himself. Arianna wasn't with him, nor were they in contact.

Vance stood up from his desk. Opening his apartment window and looking out. Today was a beautiful day. Maybe it was time to quit this job and do something he was more passionate about. He thought about it for a moment. Starting a flower shop didn't sound like such a bad idea.

November 18, 2022 06:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.