2 comments

Romance

Everyone was so excited about my wedding, most especially my parents. Three days before my wedding, my mom sat me down anxiously and asked me questions on how I'm feeling about my future wedding. I was in the middle of missing and leaving my parents and going over to meet my new family. So, I would say, I was not too happy about it. Whenever my mom sat me down, I knew perfectly well, where she was heading to. It was either - about me taking care of myself, keeping myself as a virgin till I get married and concentrating on my studies but it was surprising that the topic of our privacy would be about my new family.

My mom is an excellent teacher, my best tutor, my everlasting mother and most of all, my role model. She was quite funny when she brought out a long sheet of paper containing what she would briefly talk to me about but I don't call that a "brief talk" I call it a "lecture". She woke me in the mid-night and that would be the odd time someone would wake me up for lectures.

As she was speaking, I was dozing.i wasn't paying attention to anything she was saying until she gave me a hard knock on my head and told me that my new family might not be like my previous family. She said it with so much love and I knew where that would lead to -shedding of tears. I then told her to talk while I listen since that would make her happy and I can go back to sleep without my head aching due to the number of knocks she would have given me.

I listened to her attentively and obediently, I looked at the clock and it was already 3am and I had to rush for work as early as 6am. I asked her to be a bit fast and fortunately for me, she was through with her motherly concerns and lectures. I ran off to bed.

After a few hours which was like seconds to me, my alarm started ringing, I woke up the first time, and I slept back and when I finally woke up,it was fifteen minutes past seven. I quickly freshened up and ate breakfast and headed for work.

As I was on my way, I met with traffic so I decided to take the other route, soon, I saw my Mom and fiance hugging passionately. I was in a hurry so I didn't think of anything stupid or mischievous. I had it in mind that they were talking about our wedding plans. Nothing stupid came to my head, all I could think of was my boss, Mr Johnson, tall and plumpy, practically minded in his business and had no time to waste.

I rushed in my office and I saw him sitting on my chair. I'm in trouble, I said to myself. Mr Johnson didn't say anything,he just handed an important file and document to me and told me a happy wedding in advance. I just quickily breath out heavily and made a sign of the cross. I worked very hard so I could hurry back home but despite all the efforts, I still returned home late.

On my way back, again, I saw two couple holding hands, I had a vivid imagination of I and kelvin hugging intense but I took it off my mind because I was on the highway and I didn't want anyone to worry about me engaging into an accident.

I arrived late, it was 9 pm. My mom was no where to be found. My dad was already asleep and I didn't want to make him worry. Besides, it's been long he had so much rest lately. I freshened up, ate my dinner and watched some films. I got worried because my mom wasn't back. I repeatedly called her number but it wasn't reachable. So I waited for her. Soon, I slept and the door opened gently. I woke up due to the gentle noise the door made. Behold, it was my mom and kelvin. I asked my mom why she was keeping late nights, she told me she had an urgent work to attend to. I quickly gave her dinner because I knew she was hungry. I gave her some water to bath. She took her bath and went to rest. I saw some lipstick paint on kelvin's collar, I asked him and he gave me this nervous and frightening look, he told me he was entering into a restaurant and then, a lady bumped into him and that's how the magic appeared. I thanked him and gave him a peck and we baded each other goodnight.

I walked past my mom's handbag and it fell, some stuffs dropped, I saw a test result, I tried checking what it contains but my mom took it from me. She asked me why I searched her bag, she didn't let me explain. I just held her hand and asked her if I should be worried, she said "no" in her nervousness and anxiousness. I was a bit disturbed so I said a short prayer. I had a dream, strange one at that; a donkey , horse and a sheep. The donkey was in love with the horse and the we're two lovers but the sheep snatched away the horse from the donkey and the donkey left with so much disappointment.

What an unexplainable dream I had. A mere dream that anyone would say it is. I slept back.

I was very excited, among all. Preparations were being made, my wedding gown was fabulous and the church where my white wedding would take place has already been chosen long before my engagement ceremony.

Kelvin and his parents came around. We had a nice chat, I had to take an important phone call. My mom offered to serve him a drink which he politely accepted to take. They engaged in a conversation and it looks like it was a serious one. I overheard kelvin explaining why they should stop decieving me, he said alot of nice things and lovable things about me but I had to intrude. I asked what the deceit was all about and my mom gave me an unconvincing statement -it's a surprise and as foolish I was -wow! I can't wait.

Kelvin asked me out to a nearby restaurant, my dad supported the decision, he would take care of everything around here. Why wouldn't he? He brought me up in an obedient way of God. I love my dad so much that, no matter how he scolds me, I still cherish and admire him for his strictness and sincerity.

Kelvin took me to his favorite restaurant, he closed my eyes and brought me to a dark room. I was very scared. Thoughts came ringing in my head until he finally switched the lights on and behold, it was romantic. Just the both of us. Red roses on the table with wine. Chandelier above us securing the place with it's artificial beauty and it's bright light. Balloons all over the floor and soft tune of a romantic music being played. Kelvin treated me like I was his best and hidden treasure. Though, I wasn't in actual reality. We danced together, chatted for awhile and started teasing each other. We daydreamed about our wedding day. We even practiced our steps and our words we shall say. It was like a perfect match made in heaven. We drove back home after few hours. We checked everything and it was perfectly taken care of as my dad earlier said.

Kelvin took an excuse for a while to use the convenience. I held his phone so it won't get lost. I was speaking with one of my friends when the sound of the notification text message came, it wasn't in my phone. I checked kelvin's and I saw a heartbreaking message. Who sent this love message?

"My love, we need to talk

see you by 6pm"

What kind of text message was that? and who was it from? Kelvin came out. He requested that I assist him with the napkin to clean his hands. I did as instructed. I asked who sent this text, with pride and courage, he said it was his mom. He did not think that he was hurting me in the process.

I wonder why his mom would send him a love text message from another number when she was in the same house with right here right now. I was about to approach her when my mom asked me to go deliver a letter.

As I returned, everywhere was scattered, kelvin and his family had left already. I arranged everywhere. Made the house spick and span. I was the only child of my parents and this made me more hardworking.

I was thinking of bringing a house maid to take care of them and the house. Still on a conclusion. I took very good care of my parents, never left their side, spent the little time I had with them. I didn't want to leave them for a second.I slept with them in their room. We stayed up so late chatting and playing and finally we slept.

It was remaining just few hours for me to get married. I stood beside the window watching the beautiful sky and its stars. The bright and twinkling we stars for that matter. I imagined how I grew up so fast and here, I am getting married. I had a broad smile on my face but somewhere in my heart, I heard knocks of doubt. My dad joined me shortly, he gave me an encouraging advise, the best of all he told me - always look at the sky because the sky gives so much encouragement. The sky cries anytime it feels pain, sometimes it's useful and sometimes, otherwise. The sky also smiles at us whenever we go to bed, the stars and moon brings out their wonderful smile because it's their time to shine and of course, in the day time, never outlook from what you have. The sky and it's components should be where you find encouragement and always ask God for help if you need directions in life. I hugged my daddy warmly. I thanked him for his wonderful advise and existence in my life and we went to sleep with peace.

Oh my God! It's morning. I and Kelvin had a very important meeting by 10am. Meanwhile, I woke up before everyone prepared breakfast and drove for an urgent meeting. Our invitation cards has been sent, everything was ready. I and kelvin practiced our steps in the church and how it'll be.

I couldn't hide my joy - who wouldn't be happy at his/her wedding day? I became so confident that nothing will spoil one of the best days in my life.

The evening hour was near, I needed to get some vegetables and other food stuffs. I brought everything needed that would last for a month or more than. I brought medicines for them(my parents). I Know I overrey a bit, it wasn't a forever vacation with my new family. I will still come to visit my loving parents but I needed to fulfill some tasks in the house. I made sure everything was ready. I met up with kelvy and he escorted me home. He had don't at my place. We stayed up a bit late before he went home.

I was so happy, what would my wedding be like? I started practicing my steps. If someone had seen me, they would conclude that I'm insane.

I finally slept with so much peace and then, I woke up. I brushed my teeth, took my bath only to find out it was still midnight. I guess I was so much excited. I just laid down on the bed like a log of wood and slept.

It was morning, my alarm started beeping, I turned it off. My mom repeatedly called my name and I shuned her. This time I woke up very late. I said to myself - I had my bath earlier today, was there a need for a second bathing?

I took my bath again because it was a special day. My day.

My best friend Stephanie came to assist me with my makeup and hair, we engaged in a discussion ; Stephanie asked if I trust Kelvin and if my mom respected my feelings. I did not know where this was coming from but replied affirmatively. My best friend, whom I usually call, Steph is a caring, loving, kind and understanding friend. More than a sister to me. We took some pictures together before I came out from my room.

Everyone was astonished, so happy for me. There was no doubt that my wedding would have any problems. My mom stood from afar looking at me with a weird look. I began asking myself, If I did anything wrong to her, I approached her and she told me she was going to miss me. Mother and daughter started crying. To me, it was tears of joy but I had no idea what hers was about.

The exact time for the bride and her family's arrival would be around 8:30. Kelvin was already in church. As we were about to leave, I asked for my mom but she wasn't in. I had this belief that she went to check if everything was okay.

We arrived at the church, it was a beautiful scene to behold. As I entered inside the church with my father, everyone stood up clapping hands and having a beautiful broad smile all around their faces which made me more eager to wed. I was so happy. I reached the alter and kelvin took over, it was time for the ring engagement but it was in the pastor's room. Kelvin offered to help and my mom went to assist him find the ring.

For over fifteen minutes, no one came out, I and my dad went to see why they were taking so long.

I opened the door and it was my fiance and my mom kissing intense with so much passion.

I just stood, it was like the whole world revolving around me, I was defeated. I fell with so much guilt and helplessness. My dad kept on calling my name but unfortunately, I collapsed.

After two days, I was in a shock, the most important people I loved in my life we're the people who decived me, now I understood why I had that weird dream, lipstick on Kelvin's collar, hugging passionately by my mom and kelvin, and finally, the text message.

I recovered earlier than expected. My dad couldn't stand me crying neither did I. I was confused on who to trust and who to believe.

Not even a memory loss would erase that crazy scene. Honestly, I did not try to fall in love ever again. I just had two lovers ; my dad and myself.

My mom and kelvin departed after ruining my life and happiness. No one could doubt that but still I forgave them but I couldn't keep them in my life.

Never!!!

July 31, 2020 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rambling Beth
09:30 Aug 06, 2020

I liked this story! I felt sorry for the main narrator, and really despised Kelvin and her mother. I especially liked how you gave the hints towards the secret relationship between Kelvin and the narrator's mother, showing how the main narrator knew something was wrong, but couldn't ever quite figure it out. There are a few words I think you got confused, such as "stuffs dropped" instead of "things dropped", but that doesn't detract from the actual story. You do write Kelvin without the capital letter ('kelvin') quite a few times, so I'd...

Reply

Chilaka Praise
16:33 Aug 07, 2020

Thanks alot. I've learnt my mistakes, thanks again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.