Gone in a flash.

Submitted into Contest #144 in response to: Start your story with somebody taking a photo.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship Mystery

Looking at my best friend, Jess, through the camera, I see her bright smile. "Hurry! We might be late!" She rushed me, still posing for the picture. "Alright Miss Diva, smile!" First a click and then a bright white light flashes. For a moment I'm blind like I was the one who was in front of the camera.

When I finally look back up, Jess is no longer there. Quickly, I look around to see if she ran off. Searching around my car to see if she was just trying to scare me. Still unable to find her, I turn to Tessa. A friend of ours who we met shortly after I met Jess. Tessa had walked off to talk to some guy I have never seen before. I ran up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, did you see where Jess went to?" I asked her but she gave me a weird look. "I'm sorry but who?" I chuckled at her, "That's not funny. She was just here a second ago and now I can't find her." I said but Tess still looked at me like I had lost my mind. "Sorry babe, I don't know who that is. Are you okay?" She asked but I just shook my head at her. "Oh yeah, maybe I'm just tired. Let's get inside." I said and she quickly grabbed the boy by his arm and led him inside.

All day I couldn't concentrate, too busy thinking about what could have happened to Jess. My best friend had just up and disappeared and now it seemed like no one remembered her. At lunch, I didn't even really eat my food and just poked it around with my fork.

The second the final bell rang, I bolted it to my car. Racing home, trying to piece together what happened this morning. Maybe it was some dumb senior prank that the two of them were pulling on me. That the moment I got home, Jess would be sitting on the couch laughing. As I pulled up to my house, my last thought was maybe the camera was cursed.

Once I was through the front door, I ran off to my room. Pulling out my laptop and sitting down at my desk. Completely ignored everything around me. Even though no one was home yet. Mom worked at a lab nearby and didn't like to be bothered during work hours. So I never texted her to ask her any crazy questions.

A few hours go by with no real answers and at this point, I'm exhausted. I turn off my laptop and go to search the box the camera had come in. It only had a small booklet of instructions and some accessories. Angry tears run down my face and I throw the box at the wall. Sitting down on the floor, completely defeated.

I stayed there on the floor for a long time. Not moving until my stomach growled loudly at me. Making me remember I hadn't eaten at all today. So, I slowly get up and make my way to the kitchen. Where I find mom in her robe. "There you are! I was beginning to think you would never come out. How was school?" She asked with a bright, loving smile on her face. I just ignore her and go over to the fridge. Opening it and just stared at all of my choices but not in the mood for anything. "Do you know who Jess is?" I questioned her, turning around to look at her. Mom's face didn't change at all. "No, is this a friend you made at school today?" She asked and I choked back a sob. Even my own mother didn't remember my best friend since childhood. The same woman who welcomed Jess into our home. Always let her stay whenever things got bad at home. Fed and loved her like Jess was her own child.

The day we met Jess was a sad day for all of us. Mom and I had just pulled up to the house after dad's funeral. There at the curb of our neighbor's house, was a little girl. Seeming almost as sad as we were. Mom opened up her umbrella as she got out of the car. Walking down the driveway to the little girl and kneeling down to her level. "Oh sweetheart, what are you doing out here in the rain? You'll catch a cold this way. Why don't you come inside and we can get you in some dry clothes?" Mom had been so kind to offer Jess a hand. As I watched from the distance as the little girl took my mother's hand, all I could think of was making a new friend. My ten-year-old mind not really processing what Jess had gone through that day.

"She's my best friend! We've known her since I was ten and you don't remember? The same woman who welcomed her into our warm, loving home?! How can you not remember?!" I screamed as tears, once again, streamed down my face. I collapsed onto the kitchen floor. My body racking with sobs, unable to catch my breath. Not until mom comes over and sits down next to me. Holding me close to her. "I'm sorry I don't remember, sweetie. Did something happen to her today?" She asked and I nodded. "The camera you gave to me, I think it made her disappear." With a sigh, she pulls me up off the floor and into the living room. Gently sits me down on the couch. "Let me take the camera to the lab tomorrow to see if I can figure out what happened." Mom said and I nodded, wiping away my tears.

Mom then offered to make me her amazing grilled cheese sandwiches. As she cooked, we talked about dad and all of our family memories. Something we only did when our day had been really tough. We talked about all the cool events dad would take me to as a kid. If it was kid-friendly, dad took me. He loved us with all of his heart and it always showed. Dad had always been that way, even with random people. Showing kindness to everyone, especially to those in need. I couldn't tell you how many charity events my family has gone to. Smiling as he made an effort to make the lives around him easier. Even if it made his life harder. The moment he died, it seemed like the whole town lost its sunshine.

Mom wiped a small tear away and sighed. "Your father would be so proud of you." I smiled widely hearing her say that. "Thanks, mom." She smiled back at me and stood up from her seat. "I think it's time we both go to bed. No school for you tomorrow. I think you've dealt with enough this week." I nodded and headed off to my room.

I didn't even bother to change into some PJs. Just took off my pants and jumped into bed. At this point, I was feeling the exhaustion hit. Thankfully, my brain was too tired to must up any thoughts of Jess. Right after my head hit the pillow, I quickly fell asleep.

May 04, 2022 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.