1 comment

General

- Everyone knows that volunteers really used to help people due to  the money they received from private donations in addition to some help the government gave – said the goody-goody, splashing holy water over the head of all the volunteers gathered together.

 - But the government still owes me the money  for transporting supplies to the regions affected by the drought.

 - You should collect it from the government secretary – the goody said to her, crossing herself, three times.

- geez! the secretary of the government has no power over this issue, as  I have already charged him, and he told me to talk to the other secretary. 

- that is exactly how a corrupted government works, soevially during hard times like the ones we are facing..

 - As usual. They are never responsible for the tardy papers we are looking for but they are always asking you documents…

 - that I’d the way it is, said Dona Anastasia, asking for the report of the number of soups served in the month.

 - But it is better, Verito completed, because in truth we help save all the people who need it, with clothes, objects donated by the general population, we ourselves donate our time to all people.

 - It is a beautiful job, said Doña Asunta - the greengrocer, who’s was carrying a bag of oranges and got into the conversation almost by mistake.

 - Are they for soldiers? Asked Verito.

 - yeah This is from the greengrocers and the fruit vendors of the market. We get together with the greengrocers and greengrocers in the market because we care about our people.

 - That is a blessed work- said the parish priest, approaching the group, pouring holy water on  them- and God bless you doubly.

 - Thank you, Father, said Doña Asunta, a Catholic recently converted to the Lord.

 - It is a great pleasure and pleasure to see you all together, said Doña Anastasia. I take the opportunity to ask for more collaboration, in a matter of used clothes, blankets, or if possible fabrics for what we reported in the capital, at the last volunteer meeting where I was present.

 - What happened?

 - It is known to all that we encounter many conflicts on the border, and that there are always earthquakes and other natural disasters around this time.

 - A divine punishment! Doña Bertita, deserving of the title of blessed, crossed herself three or four times, not out of conviction, but for attending all the masses of the day.

 - It is that they say that she has suffered a lot with the death of her husband -Magali commented, with a girl who did not even know her name very well, but put her hand on her shoulder, like an old friend ...

 - Yes, the thing is terrible, it is even said that food is going to be lacking, said Dona Bertita - crossing herself three times again, with her head down.

 - That is why me and the producers of the field have united, and the people of this town at least will not go hungry.

 - If true. We have stored, with the help of the volunteers, more than two tons of fruit and vegetables, which should be enough, completed Doña Anastasia.

 The following morning, Doña Anastasia was called to the central battalion, where the officers asked her on behalf of the nation, to send enough food supplements to feed the officers and more than five hundred soldiers of the battalion for a week.

 - You can do it?

 - Yes, we do indeed have some quantity of food stored for the population. But officers and soldiers are also part of the population.

 - We need it by Monday, please.

 - Of course.

 The next day, Doña Anastasia was looking for Verito, who should help her with the food.

 - Didn't you see Verito? I ask the soft drink.

 - No

 - Did you see Verito? He asked Nidita, sitting at Ernesto's stall, reading the latest news in his newspapers.

 - I saw her before Ernesto went to collect more publications. They were both going in the direction of the chapel.

 - Thanks, Nidita.

 Doña Anastasia approached a group of beatas who seemed to be discussing something:

 - But there can be no war, said Blessed Martita, because we have no strength against the enemy.

 - That is what the military say, Blessed Eugenia, Blessed Martita's younger sister, just arrived in town after spending a season in the capital.

 - I think that that's why there will be a coup.

 Verito, newcomer to the group, opened her eyes. It seemed serious.

 However, everyone sees Ernesto come running, almost screaming:

 -There are news. It looks like there is going to be a party. That says in the newspaper. I am going to read them to you:

 “The mayor's office is preparing a party with the participation of the entire population with the aim of commemorating the twelfth anniversary of our city.

 This party, moreover, aims to welcome our brave soldiers on their return after fighting on behalf of the homeland. "

 - But the worst thing is that this already smells like a coup, because that party would really be a reason to keep the coup plotters away from the battalion for a time, preventing the coup and giving more time for the government to cover their backs.

 - You have left me speechless, Ernestito, Doña Anastasia commented, continuing: at least we can sell these foods for that party, or else they are going to rot, she concluded, certain that the request of the officers had a reason: the power takeover Also from the population through food shortages, depriving the entire population of food and then putting food back on the market, "as saviors."

 - Then let's go, said Verito, coming out from behind Don Ernesto, as she called him out of respect and to maintain a certain physical distance.

 - Let's go, Verito.

 On the way, Dona Anastasia was thinking aloud whether or not she should give food to the battalion.

 - But they asked him before any official coup or exit from the war. That means you should give them.

 - But in four days many things can change.

 - Like what?

 - Like the government. If I give food to the coup leaders of the battalion, we may no longer receive help from this government that still owes us money ...

 - ... on the pretext of having helped the victims.

 - So Ernesto would say. But now, if we don't send the food and they come into power, they are going to replace us, and we are not going to earn anybody's money either. And we need money ...

 - What if none of it is true? Asked Magali, the gossipy. 

 - Is there any chance it is.

 - How? Was it not said that food was for the victims?

 - So they said.

 - Then let's wait a little more, at least ask the officer plus two days saying that the transport is problematic with this conflict, or invent some other apology.

 - Yes, I will have to.

 One day after spending it in the gloom of her thoughts, Doña Anastasia receives an official report:

 - And he also read it for Verito:

 “Our government, so many times cornered by traitors of our own blood, in addition to defending our people with arms and blood, is forced to remove the volunteer services, temporarily, with the aim of establishing new work guidelines.

 We ask for your understanding. ”

 - what? What does it mean? Asked Verito, widening

 her brownish eyes. 

 - That they are pushing us aside. That we will no longer receive any help.

 - then you have to ally with the officers.

 - That. Right now we will send the food.

 When Verito was getting ready to go to the food stores, the secretary of the government secretary arrives from the capital.

 - I just spoke to the mayor. We are going to celebrate that party and we count on your help.

 - But the government has just dispensed our aid. He also owes us money that we put out of our own pockets to help people, and he turns a blind eye to us.

 - Do not worry. I'm going to buy him food for that party, even if it's private.

 "Those foods belong to the population," Mrs. Anastasia spoke furiously after finding herself without money and without work, ready to betray.

 - But sale is sale. In the same way they will receive money.

 - Well, we are going to establish the price, and I send it as soon as possible, since this is more than a ton of food.

 - Good. I await your contact as soon as possible.

 - Bye.

 -What are you going to do, Doña Anastasia?

 - They want those foods. I am going to charge them double, in addition to double for the transportation they owe us and with that money we are going to pay the producers what they deserve and we are still going to make a profit. I think it is the only way to make some money for the needed.

 - And without betraying anyone- concluded Verito, observing Doña Anastasia's worried gaze:

 - Don't worry so much, completed Verito. I hid some food for the volunteers, so we have food for some time, while things are not resolved ...

 - You are a beautiful bark! I pass a hand on Dona Anastasia's head, happy to know that they would eat at least .

In that same moment, Verito, who was looking for Doña Anastasia to talk to her about a possible shelter and help that she could offer under those circumstances - but she did not find her- screams: -

- Run ! Save your souls!, said the people in the square, who immediately ran to the house of Juana Zeballos, a volunteer who lived strategically left of Magali's house, from where they could communicate between and among them. Everything was absolutely controlled by Magali and its dédres - were perhaps more than crowded, or what a mess, more than sisters, even more than accomplices. This relationship, so close and as dependent at the same time, narrowed each time it was necessary to maintain the underlying regularities of the gossip under personal control, it was insecurity. But for them it was called information. Nobody had any security and what could happen. People fled from the red sky that the bombings caused, and only had the uncertainty of the war in their thoughts, many of them insurance of the end of the conflicts that dominated the local scenario, and many still questioned the legitimacy of a war when the treaties had The central government had determined war alarm state, maintaining its population in a surveillance state. In addition, he asked his fellow citizens to accumulate food at home, in case the war as expected..

 Insecurity, was, in that moment, the worst companion of the lack of help help that people would deserve.

.

June 30, 2020 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

21:17 Jul 08, 2020

Hey! Here from critique Circle. Just wondering, why did you use hyphens instead of quotation marks?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.