Going Over

Submitted into Contest #203 in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

10 comments

Coming of Age Drama Fiction

Sky. Tree. Grass. Tree. Mud, Sky, Rock, Sky, Black.


Sosy Michaels rolled, slid, and bounced to the bottom of the hill, and settled so close to the river that it drew her golden curls into long, lithe dancers gracefully moving to the music of the water. She was covered in blood, grass, and dirt.


Silence, pain, buzzing, splashing. “You are the luckiest unlucky girl I ever met.”


Sosy opened her eyes to a blue-eyed stranger in a flannel shirt and ball cap. She tried to push herself up, but a pain in her side gripped her. “I have to —”


“Hold on there, Missy.” A gentle hand pressed her shoulder. “You’re hurt. Help is on the way. What’s your name, Sweetheart?””


“Sosy Michaels. I’m late for school.” She squirmed again. “Call Jamie…my brother.” As she faded back to unconsciousness, she muttered, “my backpack.”


Three police cars, a firetruck, and an ambulance later, Jamie Michaels held his younger sister’s hand in the Emergency Room. For Jamie, it was the “between emergencies” room in a day of disasters.

      * * *


“Emmy, Jamie, home roomers, Haley, Kyle, Ms. Baxter, lunch ladies, Rhonda.”


Sosy loaded the center pocket of her pink backpack with colorfully painted egg-shaped stones, topping the pile with the largest stone, painted white. She slid her notebook and pens into the computer slot, then checked the front pocket for tissue, hand sanitizer, lip gloss, and a pink scrunchy hair tie.


On the way to the shower, she passed her sister, Emily, a smaller version of herself. “You look cute, Emmy. I love those purple boots.”


Emily beamed. “Jamie had to do the zippers.”


Rhonda Michaels stirred in the recliner that she rarely left. “Jamie, you have to walk Emily to school today.” Her smoke-filled raspy slur rattled her son’s bones, as much as her absurd question, “Is she dressed?”


Jamie closed his eyes and took a breath. “Yeah, Mom, I’ve got her. Where’s Sosy?”


“Here I am,” called a voice from the bathroom. She opened the door a crack and leaned out, wrapped in a towel. Water dripped from her blond curls. “You guys leave way too early. I’ll be walking with Haley and Kyle.”


Emily ran to the recliner and pulled Rhonda’s hand. “Mama, can I go with Sosy?”


Rhonda pulled away. “No.” She shouted, “Jamie’s taking you.”


Emily backed away with teary eyes. Jamie picked her up and hugged

her. Tearful himself, he glared at Rhonda over Emily’s shoulder. “Way to start her day, Mom.”


As her eyes fluttered closed, Rhonda slurred, “Jus’ make sure you get her there in time for the free breakfas’.”


Jamie set Emily back on her feet. When he straightened, Sosy was facing him. “Rhonda strikes again, huh?” Jamie just shook his head. Sosy hugged Emily. “See you later, Little Bit.” Emily headed for the

front door. “Wait for Jamie!”


Sosy stood on her toes and kissed Jamie’s cheek. She whispered, “You’ll be OK.” Before he could ask what she meant, the front door opened and closed. Sosy stepped out of his way. “Little Bit is on the run.”


“One, two, splish, splash, one, t—”


“C’mon, Em. It’s starting to drizzle.” Emily marched in a puddle, studying splash patterns. “Emily?” She glared at him and stomped her grand finale, splattering them both. Jamie stifled a laugh and

Emily burst into giggles.


The shortcut to school was a layered masterpiece of asphalt, gravel, cobblestones, and dirt pounded into place by generations of millworkers. The hilly terrain was Pittsburgh’s architect. Most homes, roads, and businesses were at the top of one steep hill and the bottom of another. Whining traffic, gray skies, and damp air were annoying neighbors who refused to move or die.


Emily pulled her hand from Jamie’s and pointed to a red soccer ball. “Look, a balloon!”


Jamie recaptured her tiny hand. “Are we going to the circus?”


“No, silly. We’re going to school.”


“Then, I’m pretty sure it isn’t a balloon.”


Sosy’s friend, Kyle ran past them and kicked the ball. “Hey there, Little Bit. Hi Jamie.”


Jamie stopped short. “I thought Sosy was going to be walking with you and Haley today.”


Kyle shrugged. “Not sure what those two are up to.” He ran after the ball, almost losing his footing on a wet cobblestone.


The rain stopped, and Emily wiped at her damp face grumbling, “I liked it better when mama drove me to school.”


“Yeah, I liked that better, too.” Now, Mama was living deadweight.


Jamie wiped Emily’s face dry with the sleeve of his hoodie and gave her a hug. He was just leaving the school when his phone buzzed.


      * * *


“Jamie, stop pacing. You’re making me dizzy.” Sosy sat crossed leg on the bed, awaiting test results. “I’m hungry. I missed breakfast.”


Jamie stopped at the side of the bed and squeezed her knee. “If you’re admitted, they’ll give you lunch. If you’re discharged, I’ll buy you lunch.” He shook his head and took a deep breath. “So, Sosy, how did you end up with your head in the river?”


Sosy huffed out a breath. “It’s embarrassing. I was resting against the guard rail because my backpack was so heavy. One of the straps ripped off. I tried to put the other one over my shoulder, but when I stood up to go, my foot slipped up and the backpack gave me a backflip. I hit my head.” She shrugged. “All I remember after that is stuff going by.”


“Uh…why were you carrying a bag of rocks?”


“Stones,” she corrected. Her eyes filled with tears. “We have to get them, Jamie. They’re presents. I painted them to look like Easter eggs. Will y—”


“It’s OK, Sose. The old guy who found you, Frankie, gathered up your stuff. I can pick it up after I get Emily.”


A nurse tapped on the door. “Mr. Michaels, a police officer wants to talk to you.”


“I’ll be right outside the door,” Jamie assured Sosy. When he saw Officer Daniels, who had been at the river, he hesitated.


“You aren’t in trouble, son. It’s about your mother. The officers we sent to tell her about your sister found her on the floor, unconscious.”


Jamie nodded. “We find her that way most days. She’s an addict. I should have told you.”


Daniels stepped closer. “I’m so sorry. Your mother sustained a head injury when she fell. They tried to revive her, but she didn’t make it.”


Jamie looked at him without expression for a long moment. “What do I need to do?”


“For now, just take care of your sisters.”


Shaking, but determined to fulfill the mission the officer gave him, Jamie nodded and returned to Sosy.


                           * * *


The sweet smell of roses goes foul in too much company. At Rhonda’s wake, the sickening scent of flowers drove Jamie to the lobby, where Sosy and Emily sat holding hands. He stayed with them until the last of the well-meaning, long hugging strangers left.


Jamie turned to Emily. “Are you ready to say goodbye to Mama?” Emily took his hand and they walked to the viewing room. They were both crying when he carried her out.


Sosy passed them on her way in. “Stay with her, Jamie. I’m good. I’ll see you outside.”


Jamie was helping Emily into the car when Sosy joined them. “Can we still go by Mr. Frankie’s? I have something for him.”


“You bet. When I got your backpack, he said stop by any time. I think he lives alone.” Jamie tugged one of her curls. “Buckle up.” A few minutes later, they stopped in front of a small brick house. Frankie looked up from the flowers he was watering. He turned off the hose and waved them in.


Sosy was the first out of the car. She walked straight to Frankie and hugged him. “Thank you for saving my life…and for picking up all of my stuff.”


Frankie served them lemonade on the front porch. “You kids are lucky to have each other.” He looked at Jamie. “I would love to have you over for spaghetti. I haven’t made a pot of sauce since my wife passed.”


Before they left, Sosy went to the car and returned with a dark blue stone. “Hero” was painted on top, surrounded perfectly shaped golden stars.


Frankie turned the stone around in his hands. “This is beautiful, Sosy. You are quite an artist. Will you need help delivering the rest of them?” He raised his eyebrows. “The big white one is really heavy.”


Sosy’s heart jumped when she realized Frankie could have seen blood on the stone when he gathered her things. “That one is already delivered,” she answered with cool composure. “I made it for Mama.”

June 18, 2023 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Janet Boyer
07:16 Jan 23, 2024

Oh wow! I was going to ask you "why the white stone...?" I thought the blood was from her tumble...until I read the comments here mentioning the "twist". OMG, we ARE kindred spirits! (Loved "The hilly terrain was Pittsburgh’s architect". Isn't that the truth!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucía Llavero
20:28 Jun 29, 2023

A thrilling beginning and an engaging story. Loved it!

Reply

Nicki Nance
02:55 Jul 01, 2023

Thank you, Lucia. I used the "start in the middle" prompt, so I learned a lot writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Werner
13:09 Jun 29, 2023

Unexpected and powerful. Nice work!

Reply

Nicki Nance
02:52 Jul 01, 2023

Thanks for the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
01:12 Jun 25, 2023

Wow, Nicki! Beautifully crafted with that twist at the end, amazing. Like Delbert, looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Reply

Nicki Nance
02:53 Jul 01, 2023

Thanks, John. I'm glad you liked the twist.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
00:06 Jun 25, 2023

Yeow! What a twist! Never saw it coming, Nicki. Well done! You have skills - and talent. If this is any indication of the type of writing we can expect from you, I foresee many sterling comments and a few wins. Wonderful writing. Beautiful twist at the end. I'm a fan, my friend. Cheers.

Reply

Nicki Nance
00:48 Jun 25, 2023

Delbert, you have made my day. Thanks for your kind comments. --

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
00:06 Jun 25, 2023

Yeow! What a twist! Never saw it coming, Nicki. Well done! You have skills - and talent. If this is any indication of the type of writing we can expect from you, I foresee many sterling comments and a few wins. Wonderful writing. Beautiful twist at the end. I'm a fan, my friend. Cheers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.