0 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction

The music in the ballroom soared to a crescendo before the intense melody faded into silence. The dancers bowed to one another and then drifted to the tables or bar and conversation struck up again as the musicians took a break. 

Louis Stratton complemented his partner, a red-haired beauty, and returned to his table. Once there, he took a deep drink of lemonade and sighed as he placed the glass back on the table.

“You look good out there,” a woman said behind him.

Louis turned to see his mother, Regina, her hand on the back of a chair.

Louis shook his head.

“You should be sitting in that chair, Mother. You look tired.”

Regina smiled.

“I am fine,” she said.  

Regina sat in the chair and pointed at the one next to her.

Louis sat down and Regina leaned close to him.

“Have you thought about our discussion a few weeks ago?”

Louis sighed.

“Yes, Mother, I have.”

Regina looked at him expectantly.

Louis shook his head and wished he had something stronger in his glass than lemonade.  

“Mother, I have no wish to marry right now,” he said after a while. “You know that I am leaving for India in a few months. I have an opportunity with the East India Company that could be very profitable.”

Regina placed her hand on his and lowered her voice.

“You have a profitable opportunity here that does not require you to sail halfway around the world and potentially die of some horrid ailment in the slums of Bombay.”

Louis opened his mouth to protest, but Regina cut him off.

“You are your brother’s heir and my only remaining son. We cannot afford to have the next Earl of Ashbury leave the country on some fool’s quest, never to return. We have enough money for now, but there will not have enough for your two sisters’ doweries unless our fortunes change dramatically.”

Regina glanced at a black-haired woman in a dark green gown.

Louis suppressed a groan at his mother’s words. She was correct, but that did not mean Louis had to like it. Louis’ father died when Louis was a child, and the title of earl was bestowed on Louis’ older brother, Thomas Stratton. Thomas did not have a child to inherit the title and never would. Thomas contracted yellow fever while serving in the British Army, and the disease left him infertile. This was not known until years of fruitless attempts to get his wife and various lovers with a child. Louis was the only male left who could inherit the earldom. If Louis died or failed to have children, the title and its lands would go to another family when his sisters married, or revert to the crown.  

“You must marry well and you must marry soon. Lady Katrina is a perfect choice, and you two share a friendship.”

Louis turned to look at Katrina and let his gaze linger on her for almost too long.  

Lady Katrina Bradwell was the oldest daughter of a large, and more importantly, at least in his mother’s eyes, very wealthy family. The Bradwells had several cadet branches that sprung from the main lineage. The Bradwells could boast dukes and princes in their long family history. The patriarch of the family, Marquess Harold Bradwell, was a member of the House of Lords. Helen’s father, Earl Henry Bradwell, had retired as a commodore from the Royal Navy and had served with his senior relative in the Parlament. 

The senior Bradwells are wealthy, well-connected, and sometimes insufferable, Louis thought.

Louis tolerated the arrogance of the Bradwells and the other families of higher rank because the rules of society demanded that he do so. If Louis ever allowed his true feelings about them to be heard in public, he would likely find himself challenged to a duel. 

They are difficult enough to deal with without the threat of death by bullet or blade.

But Louis knew that there were fates worse than death. One of the gravest was isolation from society. 

Without the connections forged by marriages, patronage, and tradition, no family unless they were of the highest rank and influence, could hope to advance themselves. Their children would be cut off from advantageous marriages such as the one Regina was trying to arrange between Louis and Katrina. 

Louis stood and turned to face Regina.

“Excuse me, Mother,” he said. “It appears an important discussion needs to be had.”

Regina smiled and nodded.

“Off with you, then.”

Louis shook his head and headed toward where Katrina stood with her father and sister.

From the corner of her eye, Katrina had seen Regina and Louis speaking. She could not hear what was said, of course, but from the body language, she was certain that the topic was serious. And then, Louis had looked at her. Not a flirtatious glance, but a direct stare that left no doubt as to who the subject of that conversation was. 

Now, Louis was standing and turning in her direction. Katrina continued her conversation with her sister Tabitha, but Tabitha looked away from her. 

“Someone is here for you, Katrina,” she said with a small smile.

Katrina arched an eyebrow and replied, “Oh really?”

She turned and saw Louis standing behind and to her left, bowing at the waist.

Dressed in a fine black suit, white shirt, and black boots, Louis cut a fine figure.  

“My Lord Bradwell,” he said formally.

Henry nodded his head in acknowledgment. Since he held a higher rank than Louis, he was not required to bow. 

“How are you this evening, Viscount Stratton,” Henry asked as Louis straightened. 

“I am well, my lord. I hope the night finds you the same.”

Henry gave him a half smile.

“The night will find me in better spirits when I am in front of my own hearth.”

Louis laughed, then turned to Katrina.

“Lady Katrina, I would be honored if you would allow me the next dance.”

Katrina smiled, then nodded.

“You may, and it is you who honor me, Viscount.”

Louis waved the honorific away.

“Please, call me Louis.”

Katrina nodded again, her eyes hooded and full of expectation.

Henry watched the exchange with both nervous anticipation and not a little pride.

There had been rumors about Loius wanting to marry to ensure his title stayed in his family. 

Unfortunately, his brother Thomas is unable to father children, he thought. I would have rather Kat have married him. But Louis has proven to be a more than adequate substitute. 

Henry turned to Tabitha.

“Come, my dear. Let us find your mother.”

Tabitha almost hid her disappointment at not being able to eavesdrop on the significant conversation that Louis and Katrina would be having. Katrina winked at Tabitha, who giggled as she left with her father. 

Louis glanced to where his mother had been sitting, but she was gone. Although he could not see Regina, Louis was certain she was watching him.

He turned back to Katrina.

“May I get you something to drink,” he asked her.

Katrina nodded then turned towards an approaching servant.

The man approached her and Louis took two glasses of white wine from the tray the man held.

As the servant left, Katrina said, “I heard a rumor that you would be leaving England.”

Louis drank some of the wine to cover his wince.

How did she find out about that, he thought.

But Louis knew the answer. His mother likely told Katrina’s mother and the news spread to everyone before afternoon tea. 

Louis replied, “Is that so?” 

Katrina laughed. Louis had always loved her laugh. It was genuine, nothing like the shallow titter or overly loud braying that so many other ladies produced when humoring a potential suitor. 

You love more than her laugh, Louis thought. Mother is right. I have been her friend for years. But I find myself wanting to be more.

“Yes. I heard that news from an unimpeachable source.”

Karina held Louis’ eyes as she sipped her wine. 

His eyes have always fascinated me, she thought. They are light blue, which is uncommon to see in someone with black hair. It makes Louis even more handsome.

She brought her glass down and said, “You do know why my father left us alone.”

Louis nodded.

“Alone is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?”

He gestured to the many guests in the ballroom.

Katrina bowed her head.

“Touche’. But you take my meaning.”

Louis nodded.

He opened his mouth to speak, but he heard the orchestra begin to play a waltz.

Louis placed his glass on a table and offered his hand. Katrina took it, and they moved onto the floor. 

As they approached the dance floor, they saw the shock on the faces of the older attendees. The waltz was considered indecent and even vulgar by some in society because of how close the dancers were to one another. But it was loved by those men and women of Louis’ age who saw it as a bit of rebellion against the stricter conventions of their parents.

Louis bowed to Katrina, and she curtsied in return. Louis placed one hand on her waist and Katrina placed one hand on Louis’ shoulder.  They extended their arms and their remaining hands clasped.

Louis smiled and said, “It would appear that many in this room are rather scandalized.”

Katrina laughed.

“You can thank my mother for that.”

Louis’s eyes widened.

“What?”

“She bribed the conductor.”

Before any more words were exchanged, the music placed them under its spell. Louis and Katrina moved among the other dancers, whirling deftly and seeming to float over the polished floor. 

As Loius caught Katrina after a spin, he said, “I have never been a subtle man, so I will just say this plainly.”

Katrina said nothing, but her heart was in her throat.

“It is well known that my brother cannot father children. Therefore I have to carry on the family name.”

He stopped speaking as he spun Katrina in a circle. When they were close again, Louis continued.

“I do not ask this out of duty alone, but out of a long-held admiration for you. An admiration that has matured into something more.”

Katrina swallowed then said, “I feel the same about you, Louis. I have often thought about what it would be like to be with you.”

Louis felt himself relax for a moment before he thought, It’s now or never.

“Katrina,” he said after a moment. “I formally ask for your hand in marriage.”

Katrina’s light brown eyes filled with tears, but she did not allow them to fall.

As the music ended, Katrina said, “Yes, I accept.”

Louis’ smile was hidden as he bowed to Katrina, who curtsied.

They walked off the floor and directly toward her father, Henry. Henry stood with Tabitha and his wife, Anne. Loius bowed and then greeted her.

“My Lady, I had not seen you this evening. I do hope you are well.”

Anne smiled and said, “Oh I am very well, now that I see the joy on my daughter’s face.”

Katrina stood closer to Louis, their shoulders touching. 

Anne noted the contact and said, “Henry, I assume that you and the young viscount have matters to discuss.”

Henry looked at his wife and cleared his throat.

“Yes, it seems that we do. But we will not do so here.”

Henry turned to Loius and said, “Can you meet me tomorrow at my townhome?”

Louis nodded.

“Of course, my lord. What time should I arrive?”

“Two o’clock, if it pleases you.”

Louis glanced at Katrina, then back to Henry.

“I will see you tomorrow at two, my lord.”

Henry nodded and extended his hand. 

“Very well. I hope after tomorrow, I can look forward to calling you my son-in-law.”

Louis smiled taking the offered hand. 

As they shook, he said, “I have no doubt of that.”

Katrina gripped his arm and added, “Nor I.”

Across the room, Regina stood next to a taller, slightly older version of Louis. They watched Henry and Louis shake hands.

Earl Thomas Stratton took his mother’s arm and said, “It looks like Louis has won his prize.”

Regina wiped a tear from her face and said, “Yes. My son is happy and our future is secure.”

Thomas noted the order of her words and could not help but smile.

“You did well, Mother. Did you want to leave for home?”

Regina nodded.

“Yes. Louis was right, I am tired.”

She looked back at Louis and Katrina.

“But I am happier than I have been in a long time.”

June 11, 2024 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.