0 comments

Fantasy

The council chambers feel small as I pace the length of the podium. I was unprepared for the revelation that came this morning, as a rider knocked on my cabin door, bearing a letter with the personal seal of the late Queen…of my true Mother.

I look to the chambers high rafters, seeking a sign from above. My whole life has been a lie, from my earliest memories until this day. I draw the letter from my tunic pocket, reading the words once more…

I pray this letter is never read, for my greatest secret should be free to live a life of freedom, a life unburdened by the strict regulations that accompany my fate, and that of YOUR older brother.

I have come to learn that you've been given the name of Grayson. I believe that name would have suited you fine had I been able to keep you, but I could not risk the possibility of a challenge to Rubens' ascent to the throne. I'm sorry, I haven't made the truth clear to you Grayson, but you are my son, and if you are reading this letter, then you will soon be crowned as the next King of Prenwill.

When I became pregnant with you, I shut myself away from the people, hiding the fact that I was with a second child, even from your father, my husband King Gregory. Upon your birth, I made the decision to send you away, into hiding, for fear that Gregory, holding to his old ways, would slay you to preserve Rubens claim as the crowned Prince. It was all I could think of to save you, and as I've learned your name, I've also learned that you are a blissful child. Do you recall when we met, how you hid behind Perditas skirt until I offered you a sweet? I hope you do, I hope you hold it as a fond memory.

The truth is, I do recall the memory. Queen Nidia Priibus had given me my first taste of the sweet cinnamon bread, and it's been my favorite ever since. The memory brings both joy and sorrow now, as this letter tells that it was the first time I met my real mother.

I can't tell you how much I wanted to take you in my arms, to declare to the world that this sweet, handsome little boy was mine, my youngest son, and to dote on you so. I can't ask your forgiveness for my cruelty, but I must ensure that you know that I did this out of love.

Now, for the reason that you are reading this letter. Your brother Ruben has passed, and has no heir of his own to succeed him. You must now have your entire life uprooted in order to take his place as King, and lead our people. I have left instructions with my personal Knight Albrand, that he is to keep this letter on him at all times, along with three other letters. One to be given to the council with the revelation of your existence and lineage, and instructions of what must come to pass with Rubens' passing. The second letter is to be given to Gregory, should he also be alive at the time of this exchange. He may seem cold and distant at first, but once he understands that you are of his blood, then he will welcome you with open arms.

Open arms? King Gregory has never been known for being welcoming, or even cordial. He hails from a barbaric tribe to the west, one that often murders any second born males to ensure the order of inheritance. I've met him before as well, but it's more a stinging memory in comparison to the time I met Queen Nidia. I was just becoming a man, being put to work in the castle forge, when he came to inspect the special weapon he was having crafted for Ruben. Oh, that sword was beautiful, crafted to perfection by my mentor, the double-edged blade slightly curved to be wielded from atop a horse. It's rather ironic that Ruben wasn't very skilled at swordsmanship, or at riding. The way I hear it, he had an accident while training, falling on that beautiful sword and killing himself. When King Gregory inspected the sword, he desired to test the blade, which my mentor had anticipated and had a fresh boar carcass at hand. It scared me to tears when he ordered his knights to hold me for him. King Gregory would have cleaved me in two had Queen Nidia not arrived and reasoned him into keeping me around, telling him to carve the boar, that a good smith was hard to train, and they had already invested much time in my tutelage. She saved my life that day.

The final letter will be given to you just before you are crowned by both the council and Gregory. I pray that you receive it well, and that you remember that throughout your life, I have watched you become a kind, strong man, and that I love you, and wish I could have made that love known before.

This is too much, why are my eyes tearing up? I have to shut my eyes, hold back the tears, I can't let anyone see me like this, like I'm weak. This letter is important to me, it's the only piece of her that I have, so I need to keep it safe.

The door opens, allowing King Gregory to enter the chamber. "Hello Grayson." Gregory shuts the door behind himself before awkwardly strolling up to Grayson. "I remember you. I'm… I'm sorry for that day. There are many things I feel sorry for now." Gregory lifts his own letter in his hand, indicating that Nidias words have affected him. "I…" he takes a deep breath, clearly fighting back his own tears. Without warning the older man rushes forward, pulling Grayson into a large hug. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry Nidia feared the worst from me. I'm sorry for the years you grew without knowing me as your father. I'm sorry you didn't have the life and love of your brother. There are too many things my old ways have stolen from me, and this should not have been one of them!" Gregory holds Grayson tightly, sobbing into his shoulder.

"It's fine sir. I grew with everything I needed." Grayson wraps his hands around the older man's body, hugging his father for the first time.

"No boy, no. It wasn't right, and I know I'm to blame for it. Nidia kept you in her heart, she kept you near enough to watch over, but free of our traditions, our stupid traditions that kept you from us." Gregory breaks the embrace to pull a new letter from his coat. "This is Nidias final letter. It's for you, to be read before I announce you as my new heir." Tears stain the old man's face.

Grayson takes the new letter, running his fingers over the intact seal. "Do you have an idea of what she might have written here?"

"Part of me prays that she tells you to run. That you and I should pack our horses up and live in the woods as a father and son. Free of the edicts of this land, of this castle. But no, I know not what she wishes you to know."

"May I have a moment to read it through?"

"Yes, yes. Go ahead, I'll keep to myself, but I won't let you out of my sight, never again, my son."

Grayson nods, feeling a bit uneasy with Gregory's exuberant display of emotion. He turns his back as he breaks the wax seal, unfolding his Mother's final words to him.

Grayson. These are my final words to you:

CHANGE THIS WORLD FOR THE BETTER!!

Grayson, you have grown up without the responsibilities and constraints that come with being a member of the royal family. You know what it means to live a life that is truly your own, but fate calls you to take up a new role. I can think of no one better to bring an end to the stigmas that plague our country. The first thing I expect you to change is a rule unknown to those who are not part of the royal family, or the council. I know I said that Gregory would have wanted to kill you as a baby to protect Rubens' inheritance, but the truth is that the royal family must sacrifice any secondary males born to them. I say sacrifice because that is what it feels like, that we sacrifice the life of the child to some unknown deity that demands it. I don't know if you may have children of your own just yet, but I can assure you that there is no greater pain than to lose your child, either by death, or by giving them away in hopes they have a better life. No one should endure that pain, which brings me to the people. I have seen far too many children dying due to famine or war, and my heart weeps for them and their parents. Please, having lived amongst the people, not above them, you should have a greater understanding of what might be necessary. I know this is a heavy burden I am tasking you with, but please, do your best. There are so many other wrongs in our world, too many to list, but I believe in you, and I believe that you can be the catalyst for change for our people.

Remember my son, I love you, and I am proud of you.

Grayson runs his hand through his hair. How can she ask me to do that? Change is not easy to enact, especially trying to change things that have been in place for what seems like forever.

"What did she say to you, my son?"

"She has asked that I change the world. How can I do so? If we really want to change the world, then the old ways must die, to make room for the new."

"Well, as King, you will have the power to change things."

"How? None before me have had the power to change what they inherited."

"I… I don't know. Nidia simply asked you to change the world? No other direction was given?"

"She said to change this world for the better. To make this world better for the people." Grayson feels a spark of an idea run through his mind. "How was the kingdom of Prenwill established?"

"The people rose up against an older monarchy that served an ancient, wicked deity. When your ancestor slayed that king and his archmage, the connection to the deity ended. That was when your ancestor was crowned as King, and Prenwill was formed."

"What about your tribe? How did they gather and come to be?"

"My ancestors became nomadic to escape the torment of that previous kingdom, they used our people as sacrifices."

"I think I have an idea of how to change the world."

"How?"

"I must remain anonymous. We cannot declare me to be your heir. That is how we will force the change."

"Grayson, couldn't you better cause change by becoming King? You could force the changes, have the army enforce it."

"No, for change to truly come to pass, the people must want it. The people must desire to change the world, of their own volition, to change fate. They must do so of their own free will."

May 13, 2023 02:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.