2 comments

Sad Fiction Bedtime

What day is it today? Her eyes opened slowly. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Historia sat up and stretched  a little. The clock on her bed side table read 11:04 am  in big red letters, almost mocking her. What day is it today? She looked up at the ceiling. The constellation looking back at her, the glow in the dark stars losing its light in the brightness of her room. 

How many days has she stared up at the stars dimmed by the sunlight pouring from her window? How many nights had she watched them glow? Being in a pandemic was harsh for her. With no access to the outside world, she felt cooped up. Like a mouse in a cage. How long has it been since she talked to someone aside from her mother and brother? As she gazed up at her stars her eyes filled with tears. It seemed like all she ever did was cry. She missed her friends, her family. She missed going outside. She sluggishly sat up and pushed her red locks out of her face. Her bright greens tear filled eyes gazed longingly out her window. She kicked the blankets off her legs and trudged to the bathroom. She looked into the mirror. Her hair is now long, almost up to her waist. How long has it been since her hair was just below her shoulders? Her big green eyes started on her face. Her skin paled from lack of sunlight. Her posture now weakened. 

What day is it today? She wondered as she brushed her teeth. She looked at the shower but then looked away and collapsed back into her bed. Her red hair sprawled out on her pillow, the red a dark contrast to the off white. 

“Historia, momma made breakfast” a small voice called from her door. Reluctantly Historia lifted her head and looked at her little brother. His black hair is a mess on his head and his identical green eyes, big. She offered him a small smile. 

“I'll be right there Carson” she said, her voice hoarse from barely talking anymore. He silently shut the door and his soft footsteps disappeared down the stairs. How long has her mom been making her breakfast for her? Pulling herself out of her bed she pulled her hair up into a ponytail not caring to brush it first. Sluggishly she dragged herself down the steps. Just like every other morning, her mom had laid out some toast and eggs. She took a small bite. Her head pounded as she drank some water. She tossed the rest of her food, not able to finish. How long has it been since she actually finished all her breakfast? She climbed up the steps and collapsed on her bed again. She pulled out her phone and mindlessly scrolled through her social media. There was nothing new, as always. What day is it today? 

Her mind was numb. She couldn't think of anything. It felt like years since she held a volleyball in her hands. It felt like years since she had smiled. It felt like years since she was training to go to nationals. Because of the pandemic that too was cancelled. Is she even as good as she used to be? Historia looked at her hands, slight calloused visible from years of setting. She slapped them together to see if she could feel the sensation of a volleyball slap on her hands. She had missed the feeling. She missed the stinging in her palms, the aches in her fingers. Historias eyes wandered to her closet. There in the corner was her volleyball. The one her friend gave to her as a gift last year. How long has it been since she talked to any of her friends? Her team? Her eyes then trailed to her chair. There sat her jersey. Number 1 in purple on the back with her name under it. The purple and white of her school colors. She pulled herself up and held the volleyball in her hands. How long has it been since she held one? She let the volleyball drop and roll away as the emptiness filled her hands again. She longed to go on a court and play. What day is it today? She felt her eyes tear up again. How many times has she cried? The pounding in her head returned full force. She sat on her window seat and opened the window. The cool autumn breeze whipped against her face. Her nose and checks slowly gained color and tinted a light pink. How long has it been since she felt the wind on her face? She watched as the leaves and branches danced in the light breeze. The grass swayed the bright green almost blinding her. 

She sniffed lightly, breathing in the air. In those moments she felt at peace. She felt light, as if she weighed nothing. Somewhere in the background her phone rang, but historia was so lost in the moment, lost in her head. A small smile graced her lips and her eyes fluttered shut. Her long lashes brushed against her high cheekbones. The emptiness momentarily gone as she let the cool air caress her face. 

She doesn't know how long she sat there. Could've been hours, could've been minutes, maybe even seconds. The pounding in her head ceased for a while. As she slowly straitened, her back made a loud crack and pop. grimacing she shut her window. Her room was now cool. She felt a little less stuffy. She opened up her closet and found a shirt and sweatpants. Grabbing then she stepped into the bathroom. Setting her clothes aside she looked into the mirror again. Pulling the scrunchie out of her hair she watched her curls tumble down. How long has it been since I brushed my hair? After brushing her hair, Historia slipped into the shower. The hot water ran down her back wetting her pale dry skin. After washing her hair and scrubbing her body down she slipped out now feeling fresh and renewed. Slipping into her bed again she let out a sigh. Oh yeah. It's august 21 today.

March 11, 2021 10:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

K. L.
13:11 Mar 18, 2021

I really enjoy this story. I find Historia very relatable because I, myself, felt all of these emotions of boredom and sadness when in quarantine. Her thoughts of "Is she even as good as she used to be?" and the way she slapped her hands to recreate the feeling of having a volleyball slap on her hands are thoughts which I see many people can relate to. I just love the optimistic energy of the ending and how calm Historia became. I'm happy that she finally remembered the date. However, the story has some grammatical errors, like the missing o...

Reply

Firdaus Raunaq
12:45 Mar 28, 2021

thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I'm grateful for the feedback, ill try to work on my grammar mistakes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.