4 comments

Fiction Romance

“Here' we are.” James pushed the cabin door open. He stomped the snow off his boots before stepping in.

“It’s a little more rustic than I expected.” Stella wrinkled her nose as she took in the hunting regalia and the old school furnishings of the cabin. When James had suggested a weekend away, this wasn’t exactly what she’d had in mind.

“I know it’s not quite the Hilton or even a Travelodge, but you just wait until we get the fire going and light some candles and it will be so romantic.”

“Never took you for such a romantic type,” Stella giggled as James pulled her close and kissed her ice-cold nose. She wriggled herself free. “I fancy a cup of hot chocolate to warm me up. I’ll make us some while you get this place all romance ready.”

“There’s just one small problem with that.” James looked sheepish. “I might have forgotten to mention there’s no electricity.”

“There’s no what?”

“Electricity. Or internet. Or phone service.”

Stella pulled her mobile out of her pocket. She checked the service. Nothing, James wasn’t pulling her leg.

“Are you telling me you dragged me to this cabin in the middle of nowhere in the darkest winter and we are cut off from the rest of the world?”

“Yes.” James grabbed Stella’s hands. “But look at it this way. We have the whole weekend to ourselves. No distractions. It’s the perfect place to get to know each other better.”

He pulled her close again and kissed her neck, sending shivers down her spine. Maybe it would be ok. She resolved to keep an open mind.

An hour later, she was glad she had agreed to give the remote cottage weekend a chance. The fire was blazing in the fireplace and they were snuggled in front of it.

“You were right, this is really romantic,” she said as he caressed her neck and shoulders. The shivers shot down her spine again. She turned to kiss him when the front door burst open, sending in a blast of cold air and snow.

“What the hell,” James muttered and turned towards the door. “You!”

Stella spun around. A woman stood framed by the doorway with a tall, broad-shouldered man peeking in behind her. Who the hell were they and what were they doing at James’s cabin?

“What the hell are you doing here?” James stood up, while Stella scrambled to do her bra that James had just unhooked. Succeeding with her bra, she wrapped the blanket they had been laying on around her for warmth against the cold air still blowing in. She sat up.

The man behind the woman gave Stella a small wave, and she returned it. She still had no idea who they were, but at least the man seemed friendly. She couldn’t say that about the woman who directed her furious glare from James to Stella and back to James again.

“I could ask you the same. You told me you were at a medical conference all weekend.”

“I don’t know what’s going on, but could we at least come inside?” The man outside blew on his gloveless hands and snow was rapidly covering his head. “It’s bloody freezing out here.”

“There’s no need to come in as you are not staying. Just get back in the car and drive away.” James walked to the door and put his hand on the door, ready to close it behind the unwelcome visitors.

“Not possible.” The woman held the door open for the man she was with to step in and then entered herself. “The snow is so heavy, it would be suicidal to negotiate the road back now. We must stay and wait until they clear the roads after the snowstorm.”

Not willing to take her word for it, James looked out the door. Stella could see the snow was falling at least twice as heavy as before, and the wind had picked up, too. She was grateful when James at last closed the door and blocked the cold air outside.

“I see you brought yourself some company for your ‘medical conference’.” The look she gave Stella made her feel cheap.

Who was this woman, and what right did she have to look at Stella like that?

“It’s not like you have arrived here alone, either.” James glared at the man who looked as bewildered as Stella felt.

“I’m sorry, but who are you?” Stella scrambled to her feet, still wrapped in the blanket.

“I’m Donna, his wife.” She smiled at her, not a pleasant smile, rather one filled with malice. “I take it you didn’t know.”

“No, he never said,” Stella’s legs shook, and she felt around for support. James rushed to her side, offering his arm for support, but she pushed it away. Instead, she found a chair and held onto its back to steady herself.

Once her legs stopped shaking, she looked at the man who had arrived with Donna. It was obvious he hadn’t known she was married either. He had sat down on the sofa and gazed at Donna with his mouth hanging open.

Stella eased herself into the chair. Her moves mirrored the man’s as she rubbed her temples. James had seemed so honest and so perfect. She had fast been falling for him, and now this. He was married.

“I’m sorry, I never told you. I was planning to, but then…” James crouched on the floor in front of Stella searching for her hands, but she pulled them away. “There never seemed to be the right time.”

“The right time?” Stell sprang up from her chair, pushing it over. The chair fell over with a clatter, but she didn’t even notice. “How about when you offered to buy me a drink? Or when you kissed me? Or asked me out on a date?”

James had stood up, too, and she prodded him in the chest with each question. She was hurt, but even more she was furious. She caught the strange man smiling at her, and it gave her more strength.

“In fact, I have an even better idea. You should have never bought me a drink since you have a wife. Married men are not supposed to go around buying drinks to other women.” She picked up the chair she had pushed over and sat down, fuming.

The other man gave her a small smile and silently clapped his hands behind Donna’s back. Despite the situation, it made Stella want to smile.

“But we are not happy. You can see it for yourself that she’s brought…” James waved his arm towards the other man.

“Ant,” he interjected and gave Stella another smile. She couldn’t help herself and smiled back.

“… someone with her since she thought I was going to a medical conference.”

“Only because I have known for years that you have been cheating on me. I thought it was about time I enjoyed myself, too.” Donna shot back at James.

“Don’t you even pretend that this is the first time you have been with another man…” James shouted and the couple entered a shouting match.

Too busy to square up to each other, they didn’t even notice Ant approach Stella dangling his car keys in his hand.

“I don’t really feel like staying here and watch those two tear into each other,” he whispered to Stella.

“Neither do I, but what can we do? She said the snow would block the roads.”

“As we were driving here, I noticed a little inn not too far from here. I reckon if we left now, we could make it there and head back to city tomorrow morning. What do you say?”

“If you are sure?” Stella wanted to get away from James and never see him again, so was ready to brave snow-filled roads with a perfect stranger. A stranger with a warm smile and ability to make her smile.

“I’m sure.” Ant assured her and she fetched her bag.

Luckily, she hadn't unpacked anything yet. It was only when she put on her coat and hat, when James noticed what was happening.

“Darling, where are you going? Please don’t go. This is all a big misunderstanding…” He grabbed Stella’s arm to stop her from leaving, but she shook herself free.

“Yes, you have completely misunderstood me as a person. I’m not someone who gets involved with married men. I’m leaving and blocking your number, so don’t bother trying to get in touch.” She put on her gloves and picked her bag off the floor. She addressed Donna, “I’d say it was a pleasure to meet you, but I’d be lying. You two deserve each other.”

She stepped into the snow after Ant and banged the door shut behind her. He high-fived her and they burst out laughing.

As Ant started the engine and turned the car towards the inn, Stella had a strange feeling that perhaps it wouldn’t be a wasted weekend after all.

January 22, 2021 16:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Cally Howell
15:52 Jan 28, 2021

This is great! I love it. An error I caught: "Married men are not supposed to go around buying drinks to other women." This (grammatically) should have been "buying drinks for other women." I'm only nitpicking, though -- I loved the characterization, the story, and especially the ending. Awesome work!

Reply

Reija SIllanpaa
16:18 Jan 28, 2021

Hi Cally, thank you so much for your comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed the story and appreciate that you took the time to let me know. And thank you for picking the error. I can't change it for this one now, but I'll definitely change it if I publish the story anywhere else. Thank you again!

Reply

Cally Howell
13:00 Jan 29, 2021

Happy to help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Reija SIllanpaa
16:18 Jan 28, 2021

Hi Cally, thank you so much for your comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed the story and appreciate that you took the time to let me know. And thank you for picking the error. I can't change it for this one now, but I'll definitely change it if I publish the story anywhere else. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.