0 comments

General

John was pacing the floor. Young and handsome, he was looking dishevelled and dull. Something was troubling him. He was one who hated to wait. For anything or anyone. But now he was forced to. Wait. Wait. He just couldn’t sit down in peace. He continued to pace the floor for some more time. He was close to a breakdown. Finally, he fished out his mobile. Called his friend Luke.

                       “Luke, are you free? I would like us to meet. Can you make it? We will meet at the Starbucks near your house. In fifteen, I will be there.” Smiling to himself, John relaxed a little. He quickly wore a T-shirt and pulled up a pair of jeans and sneakers. He paused, ”Should I take the car?” he thought. Catching sight of his incipient paunch, he again mused, “I can walk it in ten minutes, and it will be healthy for me.”

                       Sweating slightly, John reached the Starbucks. Settling himself in a comfortable chair, he waited. Waited for Luke. Luke sauntered in slowly. Catching sight of his friend, he walked over to him. He was wearing a casual T-shirt and a pair of faded jeans. “What shall we have to drink? Will Cappuccino do for you?” he asked. Watching John’s nod, he went to place the orders.

                       “Two Cappuccinos with rolls please,” he said and paid for them. Back with John, he sat and asked, ”Well dear John, what seems to be troubling you?”

                       “I am averse to waiting, Luke. I just can’t hang around not knowing whether the response will be positive and negative. I want things to be decided in a jiffy. So, waiting for an answer is killing me. Not literally, but the suspense is too much for me. When will know the answer to my question? What do you suggest?” spouted John.

                       Luke smiled. He said, “Stop beating around the bush, my friend. I know you for many years now. We did school together. It is true. You always wanted things to be cut and dried. Right from our childhood, you hated waiting. But remember. We live in an imperfect world. We do need to wait for some things. Tell me, what is eating you up, John?”

                       The drinks were ready. John volunteered to go get them. He wanted to postpone telling Luke his problem. “But why did I ask him to come, then?” he asked himself as he waited for their orders at the counter. “I can’t understand myself” he muttered, as he carefully put down the tray with the Cappuccinos and rolls on their table.

                       “Help yourself, Luke,” he said, as he took his cup and let the aroma waft into his nostrils, “What a pleasing smell?” Luke took up his cup and started sipping. “It tastes divine too,” he nodded.

                       Slowly and in detail, John filled him in on his dilemma. It took about an hour and two refills of Cappuccino before he finished his tale. Luke looked thoughtful. “Let us sit and think it over,” he said as he drank his cappuccino.

                       “The quandary you are in reminds me of a story, John.” He said thoughtfully.

“What story?” piped up John immediately.

                       Leaning back, Luke signalled for a refill of their drinks and began to relate the story.

              Well, I heard this from my grandfather who had been in the gold rush to the West. He told me that one of his friends, Todd, was very rich. He sold all his property and went with him to the West. After searching a lot, they found one place which was very prospective. Many told my Grandpa and his friend Todd that this was the place where they can mine gold. So, Todd went ahead and bought the farmstead. Then they all started to prospect the place thoroughly. Day after day they went on. Digging and digging. Looking for gold. Starting at daybreak, they used to work till dusk. Days went on. They couldn’t get a speck of gold. But they persisted. Several days passed by. Disappointment set in. Slowly they lost their patience. “How many days of this back-breaking work to endure?” they thought.

                       One day finally Todd told them, “Let’s give it up folks. It seems to be pointless to continue. I have been fooled, and that’s it. Let’s give up and move on elsewhere.” Reluctantly they gave up. Todd found a buyer and sold off the farmstead at a loss. They decided to stay on in the town for a few days to rest and recuperate from their weeks of futile labour.

                       Arriving at the town saloon, to their surprise, they found Pratt, who had bought the land off them, jumping with joy. “What’s happening, Pratt?” Todd inquired.

“I am so happy, I struck gold! There was a vein of gold right through the farmstead you sold me, Todd. It was just inches away from where you folks had stopped digging. I just dug on for a little while,  and I struck gold. I am going to be fabulously rich!”

Todd and his friends were despondent. “If only we had persisted for another one day, just one day, we would have got the gold. It is so sad.” They moaned.

                                   Luke added, “The take-home message for you is clear isn’t it, John?  Be patient. The best things await you if only you wait patiently.”

“Thanks for sharing Luke. I will wait. Though I usually don’t like waiting.”

John flinched as his cell phone trilled. He picked it up and answered,

“Yes. I am John. I can hear you.”

“……………………………………..”

“What, you want me to wait for another week for your answer? This is too much. Already I am getting so impatient. Can’t you decide and tell me soon, please.”

“…………………………………..”

“Hmm. Okay then” John said morosely as he shut his phone down.

“What happened John?” enquired Luke empathetically, as he put his arm around John. “It seems she will let me know, after one more week. I am so fed up, Luke” he said.

“Take heart, John. Remember the Todd story I told you about. Wait for Carla. She will take, I think a positive decision, and let you know. You waited for such a long time. Be patient. Stay waiting. It is a crucial decision for her. Give her time to decide.”

“Okay, Luke. I will wait.” Said John sighing.

A few days later. John was grinning widely. He called Luke excitedly. ”Dear Luke, Carla said yes to my proposal! Finally, I got the answer to my question. Thank you for your wise counsel. We will get married soon and you will be my best man. Do not disappoint me. I hope I won’t have to wait for your answer too?”

“No, John. I mean yes, surely I will be your best man!” replied Luke happily.

######################

July 10, 2020 11:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.