6 comments

Coming of Age Friendship High School

As Kendall drove past Long Lake, she slowed to take in the view of the cloud-streaked sky and setting sun that cast an orange glow across the water’s placid surface. It had been twenty years since she'd left her hometown, only returning now for her uncle's funeral. Growing up near the lake, she'd loved the sunsets that cast a crimson hue across the sky and the wavering caws of the loons that echoed across the water.

As she crossed the bridge that spanned the widest section of the lake, the opening notes of Train's "Drops of Jupiter" hummed through the car speakers. Tears welled in her eyes as the lead singer belted out the lyrics, bringing back memories of senior year and her high school best friend Paige. The two of them had driven across this bridge countless times on their way to crew practice, blasting the volume on the Train CD and singing the songs by heart. Every day, before every practice. Until that last training session right before Memorial Day weekend.

#####

Kendall settled into her spot at the stroke seat facing Paige in the cox box. Their three teammates climbed into their customary seats in the rowing shell for the team's last practice of the spring season. Mugginess hung in the air as an unusual warm front had pushed afternoon temperatures into the low 90s. 

They glided across the water, and on Paige’s count, began a steady stroke. The sun beat down on the rowers, casting a golden light on the shimmering lake. Their oars sliced through the water with a satisfying hiss, their movements synchronized and graceful as they glided across the surface.

Kendall leaned hard into her oars. As girls’ crew team senior captain, there was nothing more important to her than winning the coxed four division at this weekend’s Long Lake Regatta. Last year's crushing loss to Palmer Academy had ended Long Lake High's undefeated season. This year, it had fueled her every stroke.

At the end of practice, when other crews guided their shells toward the dock to disembark, Kendall insisted that they row a few more splits up the lake and back. She ignored the grumbling of the M&M twins Marley and Michelle who occupied the middle seats behind her. Paige technically controlled the boat, but Kendall led the team. The two of them had been rowing together since the eighth grade.

Perspiration streamed down Kendall’s face as she refastened the sweat-soaked bandana around her forehead. Paige studied the gray clouds that crept across the lake's distant horizon. "Looks like it's gonna rain."

Kendall took a swig from her water bottle and checked her watch. "It's not supposed to do anything for at least an hour."

Paige readjusted her nylon cap then gripped the rudder. “Alright. Up to the bridge and back on my count.”

Soon, they were rowing westward, oars sluicing through the water in a metronomic cadence. The foursome moved steadily up the lake until the low rumble of thunder echoed in the distance. Paige squinted at the sky. “We should head back now.”

“Let's turn around at the next buoy."

“How far to the buoy?” shouted Jennifer from the bow seat.

“About 300 meters." 

As they circled around the red-and-white buoy, raindrops fluttered from the sky. The balmy breeze that had greeted them at the boat dock had intensified into a brisk wind that now swept ripples across the lake’s tea-colored surface. As the storm moved closer, rain pelted their boat and a heavy gust of wind pushed it sideways. Lightening ripped a jagged white line through the dark clouds on the horizon.

Paige reached under her seat for her flip phone but couldn't get a signal. A brilliant flash of white light illuminated the sky, and the subsequent shock wave flipped their rowing shell like a paper sailboat.

As Kendall submerged below the surface, her vision blurred into dark shades of greens and browns. She saw silhouettes of her friends thrashing in the water above, their shouts muffled by the water. Kendall squirmed and kicked her way to the surface. The rain was almost blinding now, but she could see the twins clinging to the starboard side of the overturned rowing shell. As she breast-stroked toward them, she spotted Jennifer hanging on to an oar.

“Is Paige with you?”

“No.”

All four girls began screaming Paige’s name. Kendall swam toward the bow of the boat, where Paige had been seated before they capsized. She scanned the tumultuous water's surface, searching for any sign of her missing friend. The girls' desperate screams echoed over the crashing waves and howling wind. Kendall's own cries blended in as she shouted and called out for Paige. The storm raged on, with thunder rumbling and rain pelting the boat and water.

She dove under the boat, reaching blindly through the murky darkness, feeling for any sign of Paige. The frigid water sent shivers through her body as she swam through it. When she re-emerged on the port side of the shell, she heard the low grumble of a boat motor approaching. Help was on the way. But where was Paige?

As Kendall wiped the water from her eyes, she spotted a shadowy blur bobbing on the surface of the lake about fifty yards from the boat. She screamed Paige’s name and began to swim in the direction of the shadow.  

“Stay with the boat!” came a booming voice over a bull horn. The rescue boat was chugging toward them. And then the boat crossed her line of sight where she’d seen the shadowy image. 

“She’s over there,” Kendall screamed. “Behind you.”

The rain pelted Kendall's face, stinging her skin like a thousand tiny needles. When a red-and-white life preserver splashed in front of her face, she slung her arm over its slick cold surface and grabbed the rough rope attached to it. The musty scent of the lake and the acrid smell of gasoline from the rescue boat's motor filled Kendall's nostrils as she gasped for air.

She was hoisted onto the deck of the rescue boat by a man wearing an orange life jacket and rescue helmet. The nauseating taste of lake water lingered in her mouth, mixing with the saltiness of her own tears. Her teeth chattered as he wrapped a soft, warm blanket around her.

“Did you see Paige?”

“We got your friends.” He pointed to three blanketed figures huddled against the cockpit exterior wall. Paige was not among them.

“You have to find her! She’s still out there!”

As the boat circled back around, Kendall staggered to the railing and spotted the overturned shell bobbing in the choppy water. She screamed Paige’s name as another crack of lightning lit up the sky and thunder boomed overhead. They searched for another thirty minutes but still couldn't find Paige. Kendall continued to scream her friend's name as the boat turned for shore and the bobbing scull disappeared into the gray wall of rain.

The days that followed were a blur of tears and condolences. The entire community mourned the tragic accident that took Paige's life. Kendall was consumed with guilt. If only she'd listened to Paige's warning about the incoming storm, her friend would still be alive. She quit crew, turned down a college rowing scholarship, and left Long Lake on her 18th birthday to enlist in the military.

####

Kendall muted the radio and wiped her eyes when an incoming call popped up on the dashboard screen. The digits seemed to taunt her with their familiarity. That number had belonged to Paige when they were in high school. She tapped the screen with trembling fingers. "Hello."

December 25, 2023 19:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Angela Kirby
18:58 Jan 02, 2024

There was such a great deal of suspense built up in this story, and I wanted to the story to keep going to find out who was calling.

Reply

Avery Crescent
22:51 Jan 02, 2024

I'd originally planned to write a story about a haunted cell phone that allows the living to communicate with the dead.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danielle Scott
17:46 Jan 02, 2024

I want to know what happens next!! Great story!

Reply

Avery Crescent
22:46 Jan 02, 2024

Glad you liked it. I'm also trying to decide what happens next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Glazdon
03:03 Jan 02, 2024

Wonderful detail and heart-breaking moment to have the character re-visit. I like the creepy ending, as this could lead into a longer and intriguing horror or psychological thriller story.

Reply

Avery Crescent
22:43 Jan 02, 2024

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.