0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Nothing exciting ever happens to me. It is always the same mundane day every single day. I wake up, take a shower, get dressed, go to work, come home, eat a microwavable meal that's depressing but the packaging likes to say it's not, brush my teeth, then go to bed. That's it. That is my day-to-day activities during the week when I go to my nine to five jobs.

Now, I know what you're thinking. My weekend is the time where I get all the 'exciting' stuff done. I go to the grocery store on Saturday morning to buy the same old groceries I have been to make sure I don't die this upcoming week. After that I am basically super lazy. Sundays are meant for cleaning. I clean up the entire house for the zero guests I bring over all the time.

My life sucks if you can't tell. It is so plain, and I would kill for something better and something that is even just a little different. I look up at the stars like it's going to be effective, but the night sky is more amusing than me.

I'm going to bed.

***

I woke up to a new room and unique environment all together. My room was overlooking the whole city and not the trees of my backyard that I was so used to. My mind at once went into a silent panic. You know, the ones where you're trying to seem like you're holding it all together on the outside but, you’re not. That's the one. Was I kidnapped or is this all a dream? It felt weird.

My closet was shut with no handle. A little circle thing with a light lit up beside the door.

"Um.... open the closet?" I poked the circular thing.

"Access granted." The closet doors slid open like it was the entrance to a fancy hotel.

The closet inside was lit like a clothing department store display. Right, there was a superhero costume with a light right above it. It looked so nice too. I still don't get what's going on still. This is super weird. I walked up to the suit and felt it. It was so smooth and fancy. Did I secretly sleepwalk into some fancy place and kidnap the owner?

A man dressed in a full suit came into my room. "Good morning Josh. Would you like any food to get your day started?"

"How do you know me?" I ran and cowered on my bed.

"Oh Josh, you always are quite the joker." He laughed.

I quivered even more at not knowing who this weird dressed up man in my room is.

"You...You're serious. You must be still waking up. I'm your assistant Gerald. Since you're a superhero and kind of an influencer you hired me to help you with your day-to-day life and help take the pressure off your shoulders." He opened the blinds a little more.

"Superhero? You mean the spandex wearing muscle men from the comic books?" I dropped the bed sheet I was hiding behind.

"Um... yes. Did you get hit in the head that bad after your last fight? I remember you were thrown into the side of a building, but you've recovered better before." He started walking towards the bed.

"No, I'm totally fine. Just... trying to get up still. Yes. I am still kind of tired." I faked a smile.

"Okay then I guess I will let you be for now." Gerald walked out the room and shut the door slowly in such an awkward way.

I continued to sit on the bed and question everything going on in my life at this very moment. I must be dreaming right now and there is no way that this is real.

My curiosity struck me again as I began to walk towards the open closet and decided to unzip the superhero costume from the back and try to put it on. I thought for sure that the costume would have padding of some kind in it, but it didn't. It began slipping off as I went to grab a hanger. I reached it behind my back and tried hooking and pulling it up and somehow after like a minute I got it. I then managed to put the heavy cape on, tie it, and hide it in the chest of my superhero costume.

A phone was sitting on a stool by the closet, and I picked it up. There were emails from governing figures for the state and city as well as a vast number of notifications from every social app imaginable. I opened one of the social apps and started scrolling through it, it was populated all with photos of me saving the world and using these 'powers' that I had. This was kind of cool and I got what I wanted. No more boring office but instead I get to live out being a superhero for hopefully the rest of my life, but it could also just be one day.

Gerald walked into the room again. "Oh great! You're already dressed up. You may have or may not have seen the news but there's a live bank robbery happening on fourth street. The city is looking for you. You need to go out there and save the day."

"I do?" I began to stare down at the super-suit I was wearing and analyzed my cape.

"Yes, you do sir. You're the superhero of this city. Thousands of people look to you for safety and love everything you do. You're their hero and they need you right now." Gerald stepped aside to let me walk through the door.

"I can fly right?" I questioned.

"Yes, sir you can." He nodded his head.

"Okay great. Show me how to get to the roof and let's save the city." I began to walk down the hallway as Gerald showed me where to go.

I don't know how long this will be but I’m as free as a bird right now and nothing will stop me.

July 29, 2022 13:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.