3 comments

Fiction Romance

Amkele stepped out of bed and opened the curtains of her large rooftop loft. It had beautiful view of Summerside City. It's snowing. She was never a fan of winter, it made her feel alone. But absolutely loved the snow, she thought it made things prettier. She sighed deeply. The winter of my 30th, she said quietly to herself. She always thought she'd be married with kids at that age, but she hadn't been that lucky. Orphaned at age 15, she grew up taking care of herself. After graduating high school early and getting into college at age 16, she'd obtained her degree in Architecture at 20 and making partner at her firm at 25. Work was her whole world. 

It also didn't help that she was introverted and with her always being the youngest in her circles, school and work, she had no friends. This year, she had 3 goals:

  1. Take things easy
  2. Stop sleeping with Mike
  3. Go on vacation 

She'd started sleeping with Mike, an accountant at her firm, a year ago. They had a good thing going but she was now over their arrangement. She was never one for relationships, they weren't worth her time. She had never even had a boyfriend, she never really wanted one, they were a distraction. She was too busy trying to make something of herself and when she had the time, she just liked engaging in intercourse with men, with no strings attached. That worked for her for a decade. And she had no plans of changing that 

The day of her vacation came and she was excited. She'd landed the firm a big account, 3 years in the works and she finally got it. She was on a high. She cut things off with Mike before she left. He wasn't happy with it. "Why though? We have such a lovely thing going", he'd said. "I know and now I want it to be over. We said when this wasn't fun for one of us, we'd stop. So this is me stopping it". "Let me take you out on a date, a real date", he'd said. "I know you don't actually want to do that. We're only attracted to each other sexually and that's where it ends. Let's not try to force things, okay?". She landed in Bexley in the evening. It was dark and snowy. She'd chosen the small town arbitrarily and found a beautiful cozy cottage overseeing the town's large lake Rivermouth. 

She got to her Airbnb and got settled. Feeling famished, she looked up local restaurants and decided to go to The Langston Inn. She was seated on arrival and ordered Veal Milanese, a side of veggies and a bottle of Chenin Blanc. She looked around at the restaurant, it was packed. People were with their friends, families and partners, conversation and laughter in the air. She felt lonely. She looked at the bar at the people waiting. A woman was pacing, looking agitated. Glad I made a reservation and didn't wing it. On a whim, she called over the hostess and asked her to bring the woman to her table, stating it was a friend. Oh my God I hope she doesn't think I'm weird, she thought, instantly regretting her decision. The woman came over with a big smile. "Oh my God, I didn't know you were here already", she said, hugging her. Amkele was genuinely surprised by her reaction, but played along. "I've already ordered a bottle for the table", she said as a waitress took the woman's order. "I am so glad you called me over. My brother was sure we wouldn't have trouble getting in. And I ended up waiting for 20 minutes while he was on a work call. Men.", they both laughed. The woman had black, bright eyes and a round beautiful face, she was very lively and bubbly, her energy was magnetic. "Glad I told the hostess to send him to this table when he's done. I'm Ara by the way. Thank you so much for inviting me over", she said with a big smile. "I'm Amkele, I'm glad I did. I'm dining alone, I needed the company. Nice to meet you". They talked for 30 minutes before her brother showed up. Ara was an artist and had an exhibition in the city the day before. It was her first successful exhibition and her brother convinced her to go to Bexley and celebrate. "He assured me that this was the best restaurant in town. I didn't know about Bexley but it's beautiful, I walked around town all day today. I want to convince him to stay a couple of more days.". "Started without me I see", the man said. Amkele was instantly attracted to him. He looked like a villain, in a good way. He was tall, dashingly handsome, wore all black and smelled amazing. Amkele couldn't keep her eyes off him. "Oh, Am, this is my brother", Ara said. She smiled, Am was the nickname Ara had given her 10 minutes into. their conversation. It made her happy. She'd never had a nickname before. 

"I'm Jun, pleasure to meet you". She didn't know what to say, so she just smiled and nodded. They ate and chatted. Jun was a big time contractor, which took up all his time. They all lived in different parts of Summerside City, which made Amkele very happy. "He never has time off", Ara said, slurring a little. By the second bottle she was quite tipsy. "I was lucky to get him to come to my exhibition. Maybe that's why it was such a success. You're my lucky charm, I have to take you everywhere". Jun smiled at his sister and said, "Well, that might be true or maybe you're just a phenomenal artist and people were bound to find out". They spent the rest of the evening talking about politics, social issues, celebrities and TV shows. After dinner, they stood outside the restaurant waiting for their Ubers, with Ara sleepily sitting on a bench. "Thank you guys for dining with me tonight. It truly made my night". "I'm glad", Jun said with a genuine smile, "it was a lovely night indeed". "TAKE HER HOME, JUN", Ara yelled front the bench. This shocked them both and they fell into laughter. "Why are you yelling? You're not even that far, we can hear you just fine", Jun said still laughing. Oh my God, his laugh, Amkele quickly dismissed the thought. "I'm totally fine, Ara, my car will be here soon and it'll take me straight to the cottage, don't worry.". "Are you sure you will be okay?", Jun looked at her with concern. Amkele chuckled, "I promise I'm okay.". "Well, let me take your number so I can know you go home safe", Jun said. "Sure", she said exchanging numbers. "WE SHOULD DO SOMETHING TOMORROW, AM. I SAW A COUPLE OF GREAT PLACES. WE'LL MAKE A DAY OUT OF IT" Ara yelled again. "I can't wait", Amkele said getting in her Uber, "Goodnight, Jun". "Goodnight, Am". 

When she got to the cottage and messaged him immediately. 

Amkele: Just got home. Tell Ara I'm fine. 

Jun: I'm relieved. I'll have to tell her in the morning, she's already in her room probably passed out. 

Amkele: Lol, she really isn't much of a drinker huh? 

Jun: Nope, more of a smoker. I guess she just drank to impress you 

Amkele: Well, I hope she was impressed because I surely was. 

Jun: I can't blame her, you're quiet impressive. 

Amkele's heart started racing. Do I have a.. crush? This shocked her even more. She was used to attractive men trying to get with her but she never wanted anything with them. What the hell is going on? He's just a man. A very fine man. But a man none the less and I'm used to attractive men. I just broke things off with one early this morning. I need to get a grip. 

Jun: Oh no, I hope that didn't sound too thirsty. I just think you're pretty cool. 

Amkele: Sir, you're incredibly thirsty 😂

Jun: 😂😂😂. I'll take thirsty than corny. 

Amkele: It's a very thin line, but you're safe, you didn't cross it

Jun: Lol, I'll keep that in mind 😊

Amkele: I should get some sleep, I have a day filled with adventure tomorrow 

Jun: Oh yes. Goodnight Am

Amkele: Goodnight, Jun

She held her phone  smiling widely. Oh God, I'm so basic. He probably isn't even thinking about me. Calm down. But she fell asleep with a smile on her face and Jun's deep voice calling her name. 

She woke up early in the morning. She was excited to spend the day with Ara. She'd chosen Bexley on such a whim, she didn't plan any activities ahead. She thought she'd catch up on her reading all week and that would be it. Her phone rang and it was Jun. Her heart began to race again. Seriously?, she was annoyed at herself. "Good morning, Jun", she said. She liked saying his name. "Good morning, Am. I have some bad news. Ara has a terrible hangover. I'm in her room right now as she violently throws up in the bathroom". "Don't tell her that. Also it's not violent vomiting, I'm sorry Am", Ara said in the background. Amkele was disappointed. She was all dressed up and ready for a day outside. "But, good news. I'll be filling in for her because I'm such an amazing brother and I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about how the MCU is better that the DCU", he laughed. She was excited again. Yes, I get to go do stuff. But with Jun, her face got hot. "Don't get me riled up, sir", she said. "Okay, okay, I'll be there in 20 minutes okay?". "Okay". "I'll call you later, Am", Ara said in the background. 

They started their day with breakfast a street down Amkeles's cottage. It was amazing. They went to a bookstore, where Amkele bought 8 books. "Am, you're a nerd", he said. "Says the man with 4 books in hand right now", they laughed. They went to the snowy park where they had a long conversation, not even noticing the time or the cold. Later, they took a cable car showing the view of all of Bexley, taking them to Mount Ferrah, where they had dinner at The Emerald Table. "Ara sure planned a romantic evening for you two", Jun said. "Wait, this was her idea too?", Amkele asked. "I'm kidding", he said with a smile."She's more of a" Let's go on a walk and see" type of person. I don't know the town much but I found out about this place and knew I had to take you.". They drank wine, lots of wine, laughed, held hands. He walked her up to her door. "Do you maybe wanna come in?", she asked without hesitation. They made love all night. It was the best night she'd had all year.

In the morning, he woke up with bagels and hot coffee. They spent the next couple of hours making love, talking and reading. They later met with Ara for dinner, who was feeling much better. "I literally slept the whole day and half of this morning. Am, I'm not a drinker", she said apologetically. "I figured", Amkele said, "but I still think you're totally the coolest person I know". "Hey, I'm the one you hung out all day with", Jun interjected. "You're cool too, Jun", Amkele said playfully rolling her eyes. "Was he nice to you?", Ara asked. "Of course I was", he said looking directly at her. She hadn't stopped thinking about their day together and their might together and their morning together. He excused himself in the middle of dinner to take a phone call. He was on it for a while. By the time he came back, the two women had already finished eating. "Jun, really? Almost 40 minutes?", Ara said, quite angrily. "I know, it was work. I have to go back to the city. They need me there. I can't keep doing this over calls like I thought", he said, head facing down. Amkele was starting to get sad. She thought there might be something between them, chemistry. Guess I was wrong. After dinner, they dropped Amkele off at her cottage. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?", Ara said. Amkele forced a smile. She was in no mood to talk. She walked to the door, not noticing Jun pacing after her. "Oh my God", she exclamated when she turned around. They were so close, she almost wanted to kiss him. Composure. "Am, I-". "It's okay, Jun", she cut him off, "you go back to the city. This was just fun right?". "That's not what I was gonna say. I wanna see you, when you're back in Summerside". She thought about it and there was no use, he was clearly very busy and her work kept her busy too. She'd already started having feelings for him just off one night, she feared if she continued seeing him, it would break her. "I think this is where our story ends, Jun". "Are you serious right now? So you're telling me you didn't fee-". "No", she cut him off again and walked into the cottage. She started crying as soon as she closed the door. 

She spent the next 4 days with Ara. They got along quite nicely. It felt like they'd known each other for years. She pushed Jun and every thought about him in the back of her mind and tried to act as nonchalant as possible when Ara talked about him and how amazing of a brother and person he was. Ara had an 11 am flight out the morning of Amkele's birthday but she made sure to get to her cottage at 6 am with a little birthday muffin with a candle and one of her paintings as a present. Amkele was so overwhelmed with joy, she cried. They had an early breakfast and Ara was on her way. "Call me first thing when you land, I'll come pick you up", Ara said. They hugged. 

Later that evening, Amkele went skating on the frozen lake. It was beautifully lit with no one in sight. This was her first time skating in 16 years. She thought of her parents, she missed them dearly. Thought about the life she'd built for herself. She was proud of herself, but there was something missing. "I know you felt it", she heard a voice calling out. She looked back already knowing who it was. Her heart started beating fast. What's he doing here? "I know you felt it. I know you feel it now. Even though you're asking away from me". She didn't realize she was. "Jun", she said breathlessly. "Tell me I'm lying. Am I lying?", he asked looking at her. It was like he was looking into her soul. "I felt it, okay? Are you happy?", she said holding back tears. "That's all I needed to know. Happy birthday, Am", he said hugging her tightly. "I'm glad you came, Jun". They stood in the ice, holding each other. 

January 21, 2021 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Allison M
01:46 Jan 28, 2021

Hi there! I got your story for the weekly critique circle, so I'm just going to leave a few thoughts. A small disclaimer I always put first: please know in advance that none of my criticism is said with any desire to bash your story or anything like that - I just think that genuine feedback is the best way to improve and help others improve :) I take giving feedback really seriously, and I like to take the opportunity to truly engage with your work by offering honest critique. Feel free to utilize or ignore any suggestions that I make. 1. O...

Reply

Mello Timothy
17:36 Jan 28, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback. I truly appreciate it, especially on structuring, because I have serious difficulties with that. Thank you for providing examples on how I could fix my structuring. I will definitely keep these in mind and apply them in my future stories and if there's a part 2 with this one, I'll definitely put them to use. Reading the story back, I could see all the issues with the content and I'll be sure to expand and elaborate more when needed about the characters. Thank you for the critique. It was very helpful an...

Reply

Allison M
19:02 Jan 28, 2021

No problem! Good luck in this and future stories! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.