0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

Dear Miss Prescott,

Thank you for attending our casting call for the Marquee Theater’s upcoming amateur production of “West Side Story.” The audition process has been completed at this time.

We regret to inform you that the role of ANITA has been awarded to another member of the community. We appreciate your dedication to preparing your audition materials and understand the time, energy, and efforts that comes with the audition process. 

Should a future production by the Marquee Theater peek your interest, we encourage you to audition again. 

On a personal note, I enjoyed getting to meet you back stage and believe that you have a bright future in the theater should you hone your craft and continue your hobby.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Smith

Assistant Box Office Manager

Marquee Theater

Dear Miss Prescott,

Thank you for you application to Duquesne University. We appreciate being a part of your search process.

As you may be are aware, we received a sizable increase in applications for our graduate programs this year. On top of our already rigorous selection process, this has meant a lower than normal acceptance percentage, particularly in our school of business.

Therefore, we regret to inform you that we are unable to extend an offer of acceptance at this time. 

While your application showcased your top of class academics, we simply have too few slots to accommodate all of the incredible applicants who wish to be a part of our incoming cohort.

We wish you the best of luck in your your academic journey.

The Graduate Admissions Team at Duquesne University

Evie,

I don’t know how else to say this, but the truth is, I don’t think I have time for a relationship right now. Work is just too crazy, and it wouldn’t be fair to keep you waiting on me all the time. Maybe I should be telling you this in person, but I don’t know when I’ll have time to see you again, and I thought it was for the best not to leave you hanging.

Sorry,

Mike

Hi Evie,

I wanted to say how impressed I was in your interview last week. The team noted how prepared you were in regards to the questions posed and your quick, thoughtful responses really demonstrated just how knowledgeable you are on the current state of the industry. I personally felt that you showed a great mind for marketing and would be an incredible asset to any team you are asked to join.

That said, the team has extended an offer to another candidate, and they have accepted the position. It was a difficult decision for the team to reach.

Should there ever be another opening in our company that sparks your interest, do not hesitate to apply! Good luck on the rest of your job search and enjoy the weather! Hard to believe summer is just around the corner!

Best wishes,

Sharon Phelps

Recruiting Manager

To: Tennant of Lakeside Towers

From: Smithers Real Estate Group

Re: The Pool and Tennis Courts

The pool will remain closed this summer until further repairs can be made to the steps and surrounding concrete. At this time, the inspector has deemed it unsafe to open for the season. 

The tennis courts located behind the North Tower are due for resurfacing as well. Quotes have been obtained for the necessary service and management is weighing the best option to proceed. Until such time that the work is completed, we ask that tenants refrain for using the courts for your safety. Please note that the timeline for this project is undetermined. Further information can be obtained by calling the leasing office. 

We apologize for these inconveniences.

-The Smithers Real Estate Group

Hi Evie,

At this time, the apartment you are inquiring about is no longer available. Unfortunately, we do not expect any of our one bedroom units to be available until December.

If you’d be interested in being added to our wait list, I can make that happen.

Let me know,

Stacy

Leasing Officer 

Pine Grove Complexes

Puffed Pastries Patrons:

Power is out at the shop!

We hope to reopen tomorrow.

WATCH

UNEVEN SIDEWALK

Miss Prescott,

Thank for reaching out regarding your insurance claim. We have attached an itemized bill for your emergency room visit showing the cost of services. 

After reviewing this, I was able to correct the coding on the application of the wrist cast. This reduced your bill from $1,563.48 to $1,419.29. The good news is that you will nearly meet your deductible ($2000.00) for the year, so removal of your stitches and cast can be more accurately anticipated.

Should you wish to set up a payment plan for these charges, please respond to this email with in 10 business days.

Happy Healing!

-Sarah

Sr. Claims Representative

Hi Evie,

I know you’re still recovering from your accident, but is there anyway you could pick up a shift tomorrow? Heather quit today, and we desperately need another server/hostess for the Saturday afternoon crowd.

Please? 

Beth

To: Evie Prescott

From: Smithers Real Estate Group

Re: Late Payment

Hello,

We are writing to notify you that July’s rent payment for UNIT 343 is past due. You have not incurred a late fee of $50 in addition to the amount due for your July rent.

Payment must be received either electronically, personal check, or money order by July 15. If payment is not received by this date, an additional fee of $50 will be added. 

We urge you to correct this error as quickly as possible to remain in good standing with our office. Please note that the high demand for housing locally requires Smithers Real Estate Group to follow the most prompt timeline for eviction proceedings allowed by law.

If you believe there has been an error in your account, please schedule a time to meet with our property management team and bring appropriate documentation of the error. 

Thank you for your cooperation,

Smithers Real Estate Group

Hi Evie,

Thank you again for your patience with the interview process. Apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I was out of the office on vacation for a few days last week.

At this time, the team has decided to reevaluate the role we are recruiting for. It seems that some elements of the job may be in the process of changing as we incorporate some new technology and automations into our marketing flow. 

For the time being, we will not be hiring for this role. Please do apply for a future position if you feel that one of our postings aligns with your professional experience and goals for your future.

Thanks again,

Amy Dillon

Lead HR Coordinator

Hi Evie! Just wanted to shoot you a quick message and let you know that we won’t be needing you to walk Skip today, I’m working from home since I have an appointment later. 

Hope you enjoy your day!

Also, when does your cast finally come off?

Hi Evie! It’s Ian from the ER. Sorry for not reaching out sooner. Turns out walking pneumonia really had me down for the count. Anyway, thanks for sitting with me through the wait. Here’s the link to the job posting I promised. My sister is in HR, so she’ll be looking out for your application!

Evie Prescott,

Thank you for letting us know that you are no longer interested in the Content Marketer opening. While we are sorry you will not be joining our team, we’d like to congratulate you on finding another role.

Should you ever be in the market for a new position again, please keep us in mind.

Thanks,

Helen Ruebens

HR Specialist

Miss Evie Prescott,

We have received your intent to vacate UNIT 343 of Lakeside Towers on November 30. Please note that this date cannot be changed. Your keys must be returned to the leasing office by close of business November 30. An assessment of the unit will be conducted on December 1. Following this assessment, you will be notified by email of any damages and the resulting deduction from your security deposit, should there be any found. 

The remaining amount of your deposit (after any applicable fees) will be mailed to the forwarding address you have filed with our office. 

While we are always sorry to see our tenants go, we hope your time as a resident of Lakeside Towers has been pleasant. Please watch for a survey from our office to share your thoughts about how we can improve for future residents.

Thank you,

Smithers Real Estate Group

Hi Evie! Beth just told me the news! I can’t believe your last day is next Saturday. I’m going to be so sorry to see you go! What am I going to do without my favorite serving buddy? Who am I going to complain about customers to now? JK, now we’ll just have to be the ones being served while we catch up!

AHHHH! I can’t believe Ian proposed! I totally regret missing your Memorial Day party now! If he had told me what he had planned, I would have made Roger (and Skip) both come. Send me pics of the ring! OH, and if you need a doggie ring bearer I know just the pup! I promise he won’t trip you and break your other wrist!

August 26, 2023 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.