0 comments

General

It's currently 9:34 PM.

I try to put my children in bed between 8:00 and 8:30 PM. However one of my children seems to think that bedtime means it's time to stay up...forever! My oldest child, Dylan, is a tiny living nightmare when it comes to getting children to sleep. Dylan is six, and I would understand a six year old not wanting to take naps, and yes even not wanting to go to bed. But this little song and dance lasts roughly an hour to an hour and a half every night!

My younger child is my daughter Avery. She's three years old and she falls asleep like a little angel. I don't know where I went wrong with Dylan. Ok thats going a bit far, but this is seriously becoming a problem. He never had trouble falling asleep when he was a baby. Currently Dylan is in the kitchen, pulling out all of the fruit in the refrigerator and throwing it on the floor. I know because I can hear my husband yelling about it down the hallway. I'm still cleaning up the mess from Dylan tearing up his toy chest.

I wish I had a solution for his late night tantrums. And trust me, I don't want to be judged as a bad mother! Time out doesn't work, spanking doesn't work, nothing seems to work! I've read countless bedtime stories, put on countless kids movies, fed quite a number of nigh time snacks. There IS one thing I haven't tried though, and I'm hoping tonight is the night we put an end to this madness.

"Bryce, bring Dylan over here please!" I call out to my husband. I hear a small scuffle in the hallway, then a loud whine from Dylan, and his father carries him into the room. Dylan's arms flail around like noodles. I hold in a giggle as my husband sets him on the bed and open my mouth to address my son.

"Dylan please sit still," I calmly say to him. He starts to fidget and I add abruptly, "No, sit still! You don't have to sleep yet, just listen to mommy."

"I don't want a story..." Dylan wipes his nose and sticks out his lower lip.

"It's not a story baby, just listen ok?" I smile at him. He still looks less than amused but I shuffle over to the side of his bed and give a little attempt anyways. I lay his shoulder back and start to run my hand through his fluffy blonde hair. And I start to sing to my baby.

Away in the treetops, afloat in the breeze,

You'll find in your dreams you can fly with great ease.

Swim through deep oceans, create so much more,

When you sleep through the night, your dreams open a door.

A door to the future, the present and past,

Behind this big door, creation is vast.

Be a king of a castle, a queen smart and fair,

Your dreams will sure take you round anywhere.

Have the power of wealth or the power of flight,

Your dreams will make real an impossible night.

As I sing to my boy, I'm taken back to my own sleepless nights as a child. I wasn't a rowdy child, but my parents died when I was young. I lived in an orphanage from when I was a baby until I turned 7, when I was adopted. I thought it was a miracle that a couple would even want a child like me. I used to lie awake at night and cry because I had no parents. But when my adoption mother took me home that night and heard me crying, she told me she wanted to sing me a song. I remember so clearly.

"I know you may be a little bit too old for something like this, but maybe it'll help you. Would you like me to sing you a song?"

That song has stayed with me to this day. I sing it in my head whenever I've had a bad day. It has helped me through the toughest part of my life, and I don't know if my children will appreciate the lyrics like I did, but I want to share it with them. I think my son is ready. As I near the end of the song, my thoughts fade away and I'm brought back into reality, where I stare at my son, sleeping soundly in his bed. I smile warmly at him and finish the song.

Be still now my darling, let sleep overcome you,

For dreams are approaching, never coming too few.

I lean down to kiss my sleeping child's forehead. I stand and my husband pulls me to his side. We both stare down lovingly at our children for a short while before leaving the room and closing the door quietly behind us. We both climb into our bed and my husband looks over at me.

"What's that song from?" He asked me with a quizzical expression on his face. I gave a little laugh and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"That was the song I told you about that my mom sang to me when they adopted me. She sang me that song anytime I was having a bad day, or when I was sick and even heartbroken." I took a deep breath, " That song means so much to me, and I was just hoping that it would help Dylan too. I mean it seems to have, I hope it works again if he can't sleep tomorrow night or the next or any other-"

"Hey!" My husband cut me off with a smile. "It worked tonight. I know that song means a lot to you and I'm glad you decided to share it with our children."

I smiled back at him and leaned up to kiss his cheek. I snuggled down under the blankets and turned to face him.

"Now that I sang it to Dylan, and you've heard it, I guess it gives you a free pass to hear it if you're ever sick or sad." I said.

My husband stuck out his tongue and made a disgusted face. "And have to hear your voice? Nooo thank you!" He teased me.

I shoved him gently.

"You turd, I sing beautifully!" I said in a fake arrogant tone.

"No, your strangled cat voice just made our son fall asleep so he wouldn't have to suffer through it! Lucky him!" My husband smiled at me and kissed my forehead. I smiled back at him, feeling warm inside. I'm glad I was able to share something so meaningful with my child, and I was lucky to have such an amazing family overall. I fell asleep that night singing my song in my head. Only now it wasn't just my song, it belonged to my child as well.

August 22, 2019 01:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.