3 comments

Speculative Science Fiction

Christelle felt the push notification and glanced at her wrist implant.


IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. ALL CITIZENS YOUR ATTENTION IS REQUIRED.


She stopped filling containers so she could see the announcement. The far wall near the office lit up, and the machinery slowly came to a halt. All workers in the plant turned to the screen.

A woman with ice-blue eyes came into view. She addressed the audience. “The overpopulation crisis remains one of our most urgent issues. The Institute has a solution. Information will be released on your feed within the next twelve hours.” The woman smiled at the camera. “This is Cozbi Sooth, bringing you all the truth you need to know.” The screen went dark, machines hummed back to life, and workers returned to their tasks.

“Oh no, you think we might lose our jobs?” Raza asked.

“Why would that happen?” Christelle replied, continuing to fill containers as they traveled the conveyor.

“Well,” Raza placed a label on a full container, “if they have a solution for overpopulation, then maybe they don’t need us.” She waved at the next worker filling boxes down the line, twelve containers to a box. The girl waved back with a smile.

“Doubt it.” Christelle shook her head. “Whatever solution they come up with, they still need birth control, unless they just sterilize everyone.”

Raza grinned, “That would do it, but then they’d have another problem – no one would come to work because they’d be screwing all day!” They both laughed out loud.

A speaker near the office crackled, “Station 7 – your professionalism is required for an efficient and safe workplace.” They could see the supervisor frowning at them from his window. They both waved and nodded. He snapped the blinds shut.


*****


Christelle heated her evening meal and checked her feed. Four messages from Raza, nothing from The Institute. A bell dinged. She pulled the ration pack, marked with The Institute’s logo, from the microwave. It smelled awful! “Ugh, is that even a color that any food is supposed to be?” She took a small taste and made a face. “How can it be worse than it looks?” She sighed and took another bite. There would be no more until tomorrow morning, and if she wasted it she would get a ration notice. Her implant vibrated.


Chris, you alive? Why no answer?


Hey Raz. Sorry, eating some……food?


Ha! I think mine is dirt-flavored tonight.


Mine is crap-flavored!!


I had that for breakfast.


Christelle giggled. Raz always knew how to cheer her up. She wished the relocation request would go through so they could be neighbors. It had only been four years though, so it was still in the system. She felt another notification. It was from The Institute. She got a message from Raza, too.


I think the news just dropped. Talk soon.


See you at work.


She tapped her wrist to send the feed to the wall, then sat back in her light grey Institute-issued chair and waited. She preferred the light grey décor option over the dark grey, much easier to clean. The wall lit up and the feed appeared. She took another bite of the ration. “Oh wow! It’s even worse after it cools off!” Christelle put the rest down the chute, not caring if she got a notice. The announcement was beginning.


From: The Institute

Impact: Global

Subject: Population Control


Global population levels continue to increase despite efforts across the planet to date. This creates a strain on resources and lowers productivity. While some current methods are partially successful and will continue, The Institute will use newly-developed strategies to aid in this crisis. Your cooperation is mandatory. The Institute has a solution. Details will follow soon.


The screen went dark. Just as Christelle was about to message Raza, another push came through.


From: The Institute

Impact: Global

Subject: Communications Interruption


All networks are down for maintenance. Curfew is in effect for your safety. The Institute Channel will still be available for viewing. All other services will be restored within 24 hours.


She looked at her wrist. Nothing. Christelle heard a loud click. She walked to the door and tried the handle. Locked. “I guess curfew has started.” She sat back down and turned on the wall screen. The Institute Channel was showing “The Truth with Cozbi Sooth”. The topic seemed to be how a productive citizen is a happy citizen, or maybe that a happen citizen is a productive citizen. Christelle decided she wasn’t in the mood and headed for her bedroom, “Might as well turn in early.” She felt a push notification.


From: Nutrition

Impact: Individual

Subject: Waste Notice


Your morning ration will be reduced by 63% due to waste from your evening ration.



She smiled, “Hmm, not ALL networks are down!”


*****


Christelle was startled by a loud buzz. The lights in her pod came on automatically, and the wall screen lit. The buzzing continued until she sat up and faced the screen. The woman with the icy eyes appeared and smiled. “The Institute will begin implementation of its overpopulation solution today. All workers Level Five or below will report to the health office upon arrival for today’s shift. Your cooperation is mandatory and makes our world better for all. This is Cozbi Sooth, bringing you all the truth you need to know.”

She stood and headed for the shower, “I better get going. Wouldn’t want to be late.”


*****


Raza was in line already. She waved to Christelle, “Hey Chris! Come on.” The girls behind Raza nodded, and Christelle got in line.

“Worker G522, please take your place in line in the order you arrived,” the speaker sounded.

Christelle slipped to the back and shrugged her shoulders at Raza. The line moved quickly. Each time a girl stepped behind the curtain, everyone would wait about one minute. Then she would exit the other side and return to work. The line would move one place and continue. Christelle saw Raz slip behind the light green fabric. Everyone stepped forward. A minute later, the next girl stepped through and the line moved. Raza did not return like the rest. Christelle craned her neck to the right, looking for her friend. The next in line moved past the curtain, and someone exited – still no Raza.

Christelle tapped the shoulder in front of her, “Did you see Raza come out?” The young girl shook her head with a puzzled look. “Hey, did anyone see Raza come out?” she shouted. The others had that same confused look.

An Institute worker dressed in hospital scrubs walked toward Christelle. “What seems to be the problem,” she leaned in to check Christelle’s badge, “G522?”

“Christelle is my name,” she replied as she walked in the direction of the curtain. As she reached to pull it back, her wrist was caught in an iron grip. She turned fiercely, coming face to face with an Institute Safety Officer. His black-gloved hand squeezed and then turned her arm.

“Worker G522, you will return to your place in line.” He held a scanner over her implant. There was a faint beep. He released his grip and pointed to the line. She hesitated for a moment, just to show him she was thinking of not complying, and then quietly walked back to her spot. The line moved. She looked over at the officer. She stepped to the curtain, took a deep breath, and walked through.


*****


“Section 925 clear, sir!” A man in a grey uniform stood. His badge read M1289. “Seven hundred female workers processed.”

“How many were found with the condition?” The voice from the wall screen showing The Institute logo asked.

“Only four,” he placed the file folders in a basket at the end of the table. “All had several incidents of non-compliance over the last month.”

“I understand you had an incident,” the voice continued.

“Only a slight one, sir,” he replied. “Worker G522 showed some resistance for a moment. She was removed from the facility along with the other three.”

“Good,” the voice said. “Any other information that we need to know?”

“Yes. Two of the workers, G522 and G613, were using names.”

“Names?”

“Instead of their designated worker numbers, sir.” M1289 straightened his posture, “They called each other by names.” He picked up a folder. “Christelle and Raza, sir.”

There was a clicking sound as the speaker turned off. The man in grey waited uncomfortably, shifting a little from side to side. The speaker finally clicked back to life. “Does anyone else have reports of similar occurrences, of names being used?” The others around the large table began to place file folders in the basket. M1289 counted.

“Seventy-three, sir.”

“Seventy-three,” the voice repeated. “Begin re-education immediately. We want them back in the worker section in forty-eight hours.” M1289 nodded, then turned to leave. “M1289,” the voice called.

“Yes sir!” he stopped and turned.

“Nice work with the overpopulation distraction. You were correct,” the voice said. “It kept their minds occupied while we found the defective workers. You and your staff will see a bonus in your account.”

“Thank you, sir!” M1289 turned and walked out. The others followed.


*****


The wall screen blared, “Global population has decreased by 17% since The Institute implemented its solution for the crisis. Production is at an all-time high and worker happiness is on the rise. This is Cozbi Sooth, bringing you all the truth you need to know.”

“I like her,” Worker G522 said as she watched. She wriggled a little against the straps at her wrists and ankles. “She’s always so honest.”


February 11, 2021 01:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Redd Herring
11:40 May 20, 2021

My story "The Book of Choices" is now on Beth Connor's Crossroads Cantina Podcast: https://crossroadscantina.captivate.fm/episode/the-book-of-choices

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ali Anthony Bell
10:04 Feb 18, 2021

Hi Redd, Ali here for the Critique Circle. I enjoyed your story, it's amusing and the plot is thought out. Obvious parallels with BNW and 1984. One little typo, "or maybe that a happen citizen is a productive citizen", but I almost always have at least one typo that I don't catch before the deadline, and we can't edit then. I see you're just starting here on reedsy, and I encourage you to continue. I just started here last August and was writing a story a week until I stopped in November to focus on my latest novel, released in December. I w...

Reply

Redd Herring
16:13 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for taking the time Ali. Yes, I just discovered this place a few weeks ago and I love it. I am not sure if I will get a story in this week, I am down here in Houston, TX and the connection is not good during all of our outages.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.