0 comments

Christian Contemporary

I lost it all...

In the midst of the crowd sitting in the worn-out shuttle train, all her senses are shut to the noises, smell and touch in the train filled with people from different part of the city.

She had already made her decision, this world no longer welcomes her stay so she will sorrowfully leave the world to another place...if at all the place they all speak of exists.

She is listening to her last music, the one she always loved and was once able to play in a grandeur dress to earn the standing ovation of thousands seated below the stage where she once stood.

She had once sung her beloved soprano 'Last tear' on the highest stage where many singers have shed tears and blood to stand on.

What a joke life has made of me...

Just one false scandal took everything away from me, everything I worked for, my love, my child, my voice, my wealth....my world.

She opened her eyes that have been closed for the past two hours since she entered the train.

The moment should arrive soon.

She thought then glanced at the worn-out leather watch on her wrist.

Ten seconds left.

'Now that it's all gone, what is left of me

My wretched life should just disappear since the world is appalled by my existence

Oh my last tear'

The last verse of the song ended.

She widened the corners of her lips to form a smile coated with sorrow, at least all of it will be gone in just a moment, everyone seated in this train and...herself.

She closed her eyes as she placed her finger on the round button at the side of the watch then she pushed the button-

Serene.

What is this?

Too peaceful.

She was still waiting for her body to be engulfed in a sea of hot flames when she felt a soft touch on her hand, she shot her eyes wide open then turned to her side.

No one.

She looked around her, white void. Seated on a chair in the middle of nowhere. Her hand still on the round button beside her watch.

She suddenly felt a warm touch on her shoulder, she turned around but no one is behind her.

"Jesus loves you," the warmth of the voice stung her heart, tears trickled down her cheeks in an instant, she hasn't heard a voice so warm in months.

She slowly turned her head to her front.

A man presumably in his late forties stood in front of her with a blinding halo of fluorescent light around him, she looked away for a moment then glanced at him again.

The light had made everything about him white except for his face.

He knelt on one knee beside her then took her hand into his with a fatherly smile.

"Jesus loves you," he repeated following a light pat on the back of her hand.

Her lips slightly parted as she tasted the saltiness of her tears, she stopped shedding tears...months ago, it made her forget the salty taste of her tears.

"Jesus...does he know me?" she asked despite the crack in her voice from months of crying before she was finally unable to cry.

The man widened his smile then he nodded his head in affirmation, a sudden feeling of peace engulfed her heart and mind, she has never felt so at peace with the world.

She lowered her head then bit her lower lips to stop the tears from flowing uncontrollably.

She didn't want to accept it, she has spent months in suffering, agony, misery and all sorts of awful emotions but why is it now she decided to end everything that this person has to appear?

She doesn't want to reconcile with the world.

Her heart wrenched at the thought of the silhouette of awful memories, the man she loved and gave her all to left her, the foetus in her belly died before it was born, she was humiliated, molested and stoned, yet where was this man.

"Where was he...during my months of suffering, where. was. he?" her eyes became blank but this man stared into it with warmth and love.

She knew, his answer is what determines her end.

"What happened only happened because God allowed it, he didn't intend it for you, the word of God says my thought for you is of good and not of evil, he only allowed what he knew you could survive and what he could totally redeem, that means through every stage, he was there with you-" he paused then wiped the tears by the side of her face using his thumb.

He continued, "Because if he is in it with you, he can redeem all that was taken from you, just like he restored two times of all Job lost,"

He raised her hand to his lips then he gently kissed the back of her hand.

At that moment, she felt her entire being sucked out of the void, she opened her eyes to see her hand still on the button but she hasn't pushed it, she looked around her...everything was still, just as if time stopped.

She noticed something on the only empty seat in the train, beside her, a big book with the inscription 'The Bible'.

She placed her hand on the book and smiled, this time with happiness on her face.

She instinctively opened the bible.

"...So the Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning..." she quoted from the verse that caught her attention right at the middle of the page.

Tick Tock!

Tick Tock!

The chattering noises and the chugging sound of the rails resumed.

"Isn't that Roseline?" everyone on the train began to mutter, she raised her brow unsure of if they were speaking of her or someone else until they all started rushing towards her.

Her eyes widened.

"It is truly her," They exclaimed, she pulled off a smile in the shocking situation that she would have professionally handled with ease if it was ten months ago.

"I...I..." The words hung at her throat.

"Can I have your autograph?"

"Can I take a picture with you?"

"When can we hear you sing again?"

They kept throwing all sorts of questions at her, in their eyes, she could no longer see mockery, anger, spite, disgust, all she could see is admiration, even more admiration than they held for her months ago.

The tears threatened to fall.

She held the book to her chest then she looked out the window to admire the beauty of the clear blue sky spotted with white clouds, ignoring the people surrounding her.

Her sorrow has been replaced with joy.

"Jesus loves me," she muttered then exhaled deeply.

April 16, 2021 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.