Beneath the Moonlit Veil

Submitted into Contest #259 in response to: Write a story that includes the line, "Is nobody going to say it?".... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Horror

The small town of Pinebrook hummed with the life of its annual fair. Strings of colorful lights blinked overhead, casting playful glows on the faces of children running with cotton candy in hand. The air buzzed with laughter and chatter, blending with the occasional whirr of a ride or the pop of a balloon. Yet, amidst the cheerful chaos, a sense of unease lingered.

Near the edge of the fair, a group of teenagers gathered, their faces flickering in the light of a nearby bonfire. Lucy Branson, her eyes wide with a mix of fear and excitement, leaned forward, her voice barely audible over the crackling flames.

"I'm telling you, I saw it," she whispered, her gaze darting nervously around. "There was someone—or something—in that window."

Her words hung in the air, the group falling into an uneasy silence. Max, a boy of sixteen with a curious glint in his eye, finally broke it.

"Let's go check it out," he suggested, his tone more eager than cautious.

"Are you out of your mind?" Sarah snapped, her red hair catching the firelight. "What if it's dangerous?"

Max shrugged, the flicker of a grin playing on his lips. "What's the worst that could happen? It's just an old house."

Jack, standing a bit apart with his arms crossed, muttered, "Famous last words."

Lucy straightened up, her earlier fear replaced by a determined glint. "I'm not scared. But we all go together."

Reluctantly, the group agreed. They moved away from the fair, slipping into the shadows of the trees lining the path to the Mayfield House. The climb was steep and overgrown, branches scratching at their clothes, as if warning them to turn back.

The house stood at the top of the hill, more ominous up close. Moonlight cast long, eerie shadows across its weathered façade, the broken windows like hollow eyes watching their approach. Max pushed open the creaking gate, and they hesitated for a moment before stepping into the overgrown yard.

A breeze rustled the leaves, carrying with it the faint, almost imperceptible scent of decay. They reached the front door, which hung ajar, and exchanged nervous glances.

"Ready?" Max asked, his voice barely steady.

The interior was worse than the exterior—decayed furniture, peeling wallpaper, and an oppressive, musty smell that seemed to cling to them as they moved deeper into the house. Every creak of the floorboards made them jump, their eyes darting to the shadows.

They reached the staircase, its steps groaning under their weight. Lucy hesitated, glancing back down the hallway. "Maybe we should stay downstairs," she suggested, her earlier bravado waning.

"We came this far," Max replied, starting up the stairs. "Let's see what's upstairs."

At the top, they found a long hallway lined with doors. Each step they took seemed to amplify the silence, making their breath sound loud in their ears. They reached the last door, and Max pushed it open, revealing a bedroom.

The room was eerily intact. A large bed dominated the space, its covers thick with dust. In the corner stood a tall mirror, its surface cloudy and cracked. Lucy moved to the window, peering out as if expecting to see the figure again.

"There's nothing here," she said, sounding both relieved and disappointed. "Maybe I just imagined it."

A low, guttural sound filled the room, sending a jolt of fear through them. They spun around, eyes wide with terror.

"Did you hear that?" Sarah's voice trembled.

Max nodded, his face pale. "Yeah, I heard it."

"Is nobody going to say it?" Jack's voice was almost a shout. "This place is haunted. We need to get out of here."

Before they could move, the door slammed shut behind them. Panic set in, and they rushed to the door, pulling and banging on it, but it wouldn't budge. The room grew colder, the air thick with an oppressive presence. The mirror in the corner began to glow, an eerie light emanating from its surface.

They turned towards it, their reflections warped and distorted. From within the mirror, a figure began to take shape—a gaunt, spectral being with hollow eyes and a twisted grin. It reached out a bony hand, and the room filled with a bone-chilling laughter.

They screamed, their voices mingling with the ghostly laughter. The figure stepped out of the mirror, its form becoming more solid with each passing second. Max grabbed a nearby chair and hurled it at the mirror, shattering it into a thousand pieces. The figure let out a wail and dissolved into mist, the oppressive presence lifting as quickly as it had descended.

The door burst open, and they stumbled out of the room, racing down the stairs and out of the house. They didn't stop running until they were back at the fair, their hearts pounding and their breaths ragged.

Huddled together, their fear slowly gave way to a mixture of relief and disbelief. "What the hell was that?" Jack panted, his face pale.

"I don't know," Max replied, his mind racing. "But whatever it was, it's gone now."

Lucy shook her head, her eyes wide with a new understanding. "We need to stay away from that place. It's not just haunted—it's evil."

They nodded in agreement, the gravity of their encounter settling in. The Mayfield House was more than just a spooky legend; it was a place of real danger, and they had barely escaped with their lives.

As the fair continued around them, they knew they would never forget what had happened. The old house on the hill had claimed a part of their innocence, leaving them with a fear that would linger long after the lights of the fair had dimmed and the laughter had faded into the night.

The night had deepened by the time they decided to head back to their respective homes, the unsettling encounter with the Mayfield House hanging over them like a dark cloud. They walked in silence, the cheerful noise of the fair now a distant echo. Each step seemed to pull them further away from the world they knew and deeper into their own thoughts.

Max found it hard to shake the image of the figure in the mirror. It haunted him, replaying over and over in his mind. He wondered what it was, where it had come from, and why it had chosen to appear to them. He had always been fascinated by the supernatural, but this was something else entirely—this was real, and it had nearly killed them.

Lucy, walking beside him, seemed lost in her own world. Her usually bright and lively demeanor was subdued, her face pale and drawn. She clutched her arms around herself as if trying to ward off a chill that came from within.

"Lucy," Max said softly, breaking the silence. "Are you okay?"

She looked at him, her eyes wide and haunted. "I don't know, Max. I can't stop thinking about it. What if it wasn't just a ghost? What if it's something worse?"

Max frowned, glancing around to make sure no one was listening. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know," she whispered, her voice trembling. "But it felt...evil. Like it wanted to hurt us."

Max nodded, understanding her fear. He felt it too, a deep-seated unease that wouldn't go away. "We need to tell someone," he said firmly. "Someone who knows more about this stuff than we do."

"Who?" Lucy asked, her voice tinged with desperation. "Who would believe us?"

"We'll find someone," Max promised. "There has to be someone in this town who knows more about that house."

The next day, the group met at the local library, a quiet, old building filled with dusty shelves and forgotten books. They gathered around a large table in the back, their faces serious and determined.

"We need to figure out what we're dealing with," Max said, spreading out a pile of old newspapers and documents he had found. "There has to be something here that can help us."

They spent hours poring over the documents, reading about the history of the Mayfield House and the people who had lived there. They learned about the original owners, the Mayfields, a wealthy family who had mysteriously disappeared one night, leaving the house abandoned.

"Listen to this," Sarah said, her voice breaking the silence. "The Mayfields were rumored to be involved in dark, occult practices. There were whispers of strange rituals and sacrifices."

"That would explain the evil feeling," Jack muttered, shuddering.

"But it doesn't tell us what we saw," Max said, frustration creeping into his voice. "We need to know more."

They continued their research, eventually finding an old journal hidden among the papers. It belonged to Samuel Mayfield, the last known owner of the house. His entries were filled with strange symbols and cryptic messages, but one passage stood out:

"The mirror is the key. It is the gateway to the other side, to the place where the spirits dwell. It must never be broken, for if it is, the spirits will be unleashed upon the world."

Max read the passage aloud, his voice filled with a mix of excitement and fear. "The mirror," he said, looking at his friends. "We broke the mirror."

"Does that mean the spirit is free?" Lucy asked, her voice barely a whisper.

"It sounds like it," Max replied. "And if that's true, we need to find a way to stop it."

Their search led them to an old woman named Eliza, a local recluse known for her knowledge of the supernatural. She lived in a small, rundown house on the outskirts of town, surrounded by a garden of strange, exotic plants.

Eliza greeted them at the door, her eyes sharp and knowing. "I've been expecting you," she said, her voice low and raspy. "Come in."

They followed her inside, the air thick with the scent of herbs and incense. Eliza led them to a small sitting room, where they sat around a table cluttered with crystals, candles, and ancient books.

"You've encountered the spirit of the Mayfield House," Eliza said, not a question but a statement. "Tell me everything."

They recounted their experience, Eliza listening intently, her expression unreadable. When they finished, she nodded slowly, as if piecing together a puzzle.

"The spirit you encountered is a malevolent one," she said finally. "It was bound to the mirror, a powerful artifact used in dark rituals. By breaking it, you released the spirit from its prison."

"How do we stop it?" Max asked, leaning forward.

Eliza looked at him, her eyes piercing. "There is only one way to banish such a spirit. You must find a way to repair the mirror and perform a cleansing ritual. It will not be easy, and it will be dangerous, but it is the only way."

They left Eliza's house with a sense of purpose, determined to set things right. They gathered the materials they needed—a special type of glass, sacred herbs, and a ritual book Eliza had given them.

That night, they returned to the Mayfield House, the air thick with tension. The house loomed before them, its dark silhouette a stark contrast against the moonlit sky. They entered cautiously, their footsteps echoing in the empty halls.

In the bedroom, they found the shattered remains of the mirror. Max carefully collected the pieces, fitting them together like a puzzle. Once the mirror was whole again, they set it on the bed, surrounding it with candles and herbs.

Lucy opened the ritual book, her hands shaking slightly. "Are we ready?" she asked, looking at her friends.

They nodded, their faces set with determination. Lucy began to chant the ancient words, her voice growing stronger with each verse. The air grew colder, the oppressive presence returning. The mirror began to glow, the light growing brighter and more intense.

Suddenly, the spirit appeared, its hollow eyes filled with rage. It lunged at them, but they stood their ground, continuing the chant. The spirit howled, its form flickering and distorting.

With a final, piercing scream, the spirit was drawn back into the mirror, the light fading as quickly as it had appeared. The oppressive presence lifted, leaving the room feeling lighter, almost peaceful.

They stood in silence, their breath coming in ragged gasps. The ordeal was over, but they knew they would never forget what had happened.

As they left the house, the first light of dawn breaking over the horizon, they felt a sense of closure. The Mayfield House was still haunted, but the malevolent spirit was gone. They had faced their fears and come out stronger, forever changed by the experience.

They walked back to town, the fairgrounds now deserted and quiet. The town of Pinebrook would go on as it always had, but for them, nothing would ever be the same. The old house on the hill had claimed a part of their innocence, leaving them with a story that would haunt them for the rest of their lives.

July 19, 2024 05:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Linda Kenah
22:52 Jul 24, 2024

Well written, Jonathan. Your vivid descriptions brought the story alive. Great job fitting in so much detail. Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.