0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

“Thank you so much for coming, Porcupine.”

“Absolutely, Fiona! I don’t often get called in to consult on Awakenings. It’s fascinating, really. Fox shared updates occasionally, but it’s been a while since we spoke.”

“Yes, he mentioned you two had spoken about it when he recommended that we bring you in. He’s been working so hard to make his presence felt. But, unfortunately, Lily has not got the slightest clue yet.”

“So she hasn’t noticed the foxes at all? Fox rarely uses a light touch, it’s hard to imagine his work going unnoticed.”

“Oh, no! No, it’s nothing like that. Lily picked up on the foxes pretty quickly. She looked up their significance following the first sighting. And she even talked to Max about them, which revealed that he had done his own research too because he pointed out to her that they’re a good omen, but indicate the need for discernment. We thought that was a great start! But from there things got a little… wonky….”

“Wonky?”

“I think I better let Fox explain, he’s been tracking this work a bit more closely. And he is familiar with how other humans have responded in the past, which is why we’ve begun calling this the Lily Conundrum. We always knew she was special – and him, too, of course! – but we didn’t expect her to be an anomaly in this way.”

“I see…”

“Ah, there she is! Our honored guest!”  

“Oh, such flattery, you sly fox!”

“Thank you both for coming today. As this week’s briefing stated, I’m concerned about how far off-track Lily and Max are getting right now and I need help to recalibrate.”

“I’m curious about whether you’ve convened with HSL lately?”

“Right, yes – great question. It happened so recently that I didn’t have a chance to update the status report. As of yesterday, Higher Self Lily hasn’t given up on him. But Max’s absence in her life right now has taken on such toxicity that all Lily does is obsess about it, day in and day out. So, when HSL and HSM last convened in the 5D, they agreed that they each have to make themselves a priority right now because there’s so much self-healing needed before either can entertain the notion of forming a healthy union.’”

“I guess – well, I’m just wondering why Michael’s here? Is there to be a cord-cutting? Although cord-cuttings can never cause harm, the procedure is not to be taken lightly. It could post-pone Lily’s next chance for union with Max by weeks, months, or even years, depending on what she asks Michael for while performing the ritual. And we cannot control that. If she performs the cord-cutting while angry, it could even disrupt some of their healthy cords.”

“Healthy cords are never severed, but it’s possible to reduce the connection and how much bearing they have on a person’s life. Right now, she doesn’t even know that cord-cutting exists, so we can be thoughtful in how we send the knowledge to her. We can use that to our advantage.”

“What do you mean? What information should we share with her to mitigate the risks?”

“Let go and let God.”

“Exactly.”

“Exactly what?”

“According to the briefing, right now, Lily has no idea what sense to make of any of the signs we’ve been sending. She’s seen the foxes and believes they’re significant. But she is equal parts reassured by and freaked out by them, right?”

“Right. Last week when she saw the slipper socks at the house she was pet-sitting at, she smiled as though encountering a dear friend. But two days later I sent another one that made her cry. It’s like each one I send inviting her to recognize how clever she is and planting the seed that she must develop her discernment in order to gain control of her intuition and life somehow actually makes her less confident and less discerning.”

“So, she can tell it’s a message, but isn’t sure what it means. What has that led her to do?”

“Well, sometimes it leads her to do nothing. Paralysis.”

“And other times?”

“According to the report, the foxes have had mixed results to date. They seem to inspire her, yet simultaneously create anxiety. Her tendency toward harsh self-judgment causes her to mistrust her own sense that the animal’s recurring presence in her life is a good omen. The last fox was sent by way of a magnet on her beloved friend’s fridge with the intent to again reassure her. Upon seeing it, she immediately broke out in prayer. She prayed that God would reveal the meaning of the foxes and relayed that she would reserve her own judgements about how they did or not serve in guiding her until clarity was reached.”

“Yes! Oh, perfect. She did it then – she did let go and let God! She wasn’t sure what the answer was so she entrusted God to guide her and reveal the meaning its own time.”

“So, we can somehow use that development with the cord-cutting?”

“In cord-cuttings, the Person states their intention for why they’re performing the ritual and what cords they want to be cut. However, there have been many Persons who came to me not only requesting that I remove cords, but also that I be the judge of which to sever. They’ll say something like they’re “entrusting” me to determine what the needs are. Or “requesting” my assistance in identifying cords that no longer serve them well.”

“Oh! So, as her Guide, when I put the concept of cord-cutting in front of her, I just have to make sure she knows that she can do it that way?”

“I think so. Of course, you can’t guarantee that sharing it with her that way results in her taking that path.”

“Sure, but I can show her that the path is there.”

“All this talk about how to guide her to the best way to cut cords, but I’m curious: regardless of her methods, do you believe that Lily would even perform the ritual in the first place? She’s still pretty on the fence about spirituality from what I’ve seen in the briefing reports.”

“I’m not sure. Right now, she’s meditating every day, but only praying on occasion. And saints are associated with Catholicism in her mind, which is a religion that she gives a wide berth ever since her falling out with a friend who became a completely different – and judgmental - person following her conversion. I don’t know if she’s more likely to see this as some nonsensical new-age thing, or a weird religious thing, or actually be willing to give it a try.”

“Yes, I got that sense too. So, the effort to affect HOW she cuts the cords may be entirely moot, we must also hope that she is even willing to perform the ritual.”

“Okay, so it sounds like I have my work cut out for me this week! Pun intended.”

“I have full confidence in you, Fiona. You can’t make her believe in the ritual or control how she performs it, if she does at all. But if anyone can plant this seed with her, I know it’s you.”

“Great, so now that this is settled, Fox has another update for us all.”

“Thanks, Fiona. So, everyone: I’ve asked Porcupine here today because I’d like to send her in for a special assignment. As you all know, Lily and Max aren’t speaking right now. They’re each waiting for the other to call and it’s reached an impasse. No matter how many foxes I send, she does not snap into action. She just cries. And cries. And cries. And cries. We need her to take those feelings and turn them into actions. She sent a few really dramatic text messages after the social media fallout –“

“The social media fallout? I’m sorry, I don’t recall seeing this in the report?”

“That’s what the Twitter bullet was detailing, Porcupine. Sorry for the confusion, I had just used the platform’s specific name in the report.”

“Oh, right, he unfollowed her and so she took that to mean he was breaking things off.”

“Yep, and then she disconnected from him on every other platform, sent a wild text message saying he must have made up his mind and she was wishing him well, and then deleted their photos from her profiles and shared and retweeted a bunch of angry content.”

“Love who loves you. Fuck with who fucks with you. She is her angry mother’s daughter.”

“We can use her anger for the good, at least. Fox, you were saying that we need to see action.”

“Yes, exactly. We know that Max is still not revealing his real feelings and sense that Lily has triggered him in the same way he has done to her. But if there’s any hope of this being as short and painless as possible for the two of them, this is a vital opportunity. If she misses it, I fear that this separation will go on much longer than anyone cares to imagine.” 

“I agree with that analysis.”

“And that’s why we need you, Porcupine. Lily has never experienced healthy conflict resolution in her life. It’s often a toss-up with her as to whether you’re going to get a welcome mat or an electric fence, but the one thing that is guaranteed is that anyone at odds with her is not going to get a cool, calm, collected woman who speaks her mind in a way that promotes healthy dialogue. Sometimes she decides to be the one to fall on the sword and suffer the discontent, other times it’s the people in her life who love her enough to think, “Oh, this is just how she is,” and the remainder of folks are in the ‘no longer in her life’ bucket.”

“I see, so you think an appearance from me will offer a jolt and perhaps prompt her to consider another way?”

“Yes, but you won’t be alone. We really want to lay it on thick, given how pressing this is. We can’t afford to be subtle or wait for her to connect dots this time like she did with my foxes showing up everywhere. So, Fiona has a few other ideas.”

“Thank you, Fox. Since Lily is more accustomed to using her thinking and rational mind, not her intuition, I think we need to flood her with so many messages, she can’t possibly ignore that we are trying to get her attention. I’ve been observing closely what has had the most impact in reaching her to date, and based on that evaluation, I have the following recommendations: First, I noticed that she’s resumed checking her horoscopes again on Twitter, so I plan to transmit as many messages as I can that way. I can’t control her entire feed or every online astrologer speaking to Aquarians, so it’s not a surefire bet. But I think if I send enough messages, HSL will receive them and call Lily’s attention to the right ones.

“It also seems that getting her to notice the foxes made her a bit more open-minded to messages and signs in general, so over the past few weeks she’s been googling what the meaning of different angel numbers are. Now to be clear, we haven’t sent her any angel numbers. Us Guides don’t find them to be a reliable means of communication because they so often naturally occur in the human world – even marketers are starting to take advantage of them when pricing products in hopes it will manipulate consumers. They’re also too vague – for some people 777 means one thing but it may be completely different to another person. And if they look around online, they can find every possible interpretation too.”

“The Guides’ instincts on this are sound, I believe. In a few situations in the pre-internet days when the Human World moved more slowly, I was able to use angel numbers to inspire a few Persons who were experiencing a creative block to overcome them. We have a psychoanalyst’s treatment combined with the numbers 333 to thank for Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto Number 2. But these days, often they just muddy the waters.”

“So, they no longer carry meaning in the way people have been taught, but you think they’ll help here somehow?”

“I don’t think by themselves that they will, but the fact she’s gained awareness of them means she’s more likely to notice this type of message. And the number 3 in particular has only connotations that support our hoped-for intervention at this time. So, if we hit her with a bunch of them along with sending in Porcupine and the horoscopes, it may do the trick. What do you all think?”

“I’m not sure the angel numbers will honestly make a difference, especially to a skeptic. But they can’t hurt, I suppose.”

“You may be right, but what if they can hurt? I worry that relying too much on these modes of communication that have mixes messages – some authentic, some false – may lead her astray. If not now, then in the future.”

“Lily has already begun to recognize that something operating as a sign or message in one instance may just be a coincidence or hopeful thinking in other cases. If they can potentially help here, I say let’s go with it. But since we’re trying to throw everything we’ve got at this right now, I also think we need to do more.”

“More?! What do you suggest that doesn’t go so far as to violate the Free Will Contract?”

“Lily’s main inspirations are music and the written word. We’ve had great success reaching her through those mediums before, so why not again now? If we paired that with these other strategies, I think it would reinforce that we were 100% reaching out to her before and help to remove her doubt that these other communications coming through are coincidence.”

“I see, that could work.”

“Okay, then let’s do it. Now, typically we would disperse these messages gradually over time but this time I’m looking to pepper them into a compressed period, perhaps a week or less.”

“A week sounds good, but what if we specifically present the messages with a crescendo – so it starts out quietly but gets louder and louder as the week goes on until it finally reaches its peak.”

“It would be good if after the crescendo, things also got a chance to decrescendo until the resolution. If we just hit her with a cacophony of things at once and then go full-stop, there’s a chance she’ll be so overwhelmed that she blocks it out entirely.”

“So, we prime her, then we overwhelm her, but then we remind her and don’t let her deny or forget the messages received.”

“Great idea. Alright, team, we’ve got a plan. I’ll see you out in the field and we’ll reconvene once the current reality has been transformed or upheld. Either way, there will be much to discuss.”

“Good things are coming – believe!”

February 24, 2023 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.