THE UNSPOKEN TRUTH

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

3 comments

Crime Fiction

The corridor was long and cold. Jenny sat on the seat where she was told. She looked up at the clock; the small hand was at 10 and the big hand was at 12, that meant it was ten o clock and soon she would be asked to go into the big room.  Evidence was such a big word and until this upset, she had never heard of it. Sam that was the lawyer’s name, explained what it meant.  It was proof that someone had done something wrong, that someone else had seen what had happened, and the more people that could say they saw “it” the better. Sure, adults would understand better, but when you are five and frightened and told to tell the truth at all times…

Sam was a nice ‘young feller’, as Pop put it. He was patient with kids and Jenny needed someone who was patient and showed kindness to her. Pop, also known as Ralph wanted justice done, that Jenny could as far as practicable, put that part of her life behind her.

Ralph’s only daughter died in a car crash along with her husband, and though there were plenty of relatives who would look after the little girl, ‘the powers’ in their wisdom decided after much wrangling to send her to foster care. A bad move in Ralph’s eyes, but now that his wife Rita was better, he hoped, he fervently hoped, as did Sam, that things would be different. After all, they were both in their late fifties and could handle a child of Jenny’s age on a permanent basis.

SIX MONTHS PRIOR

Helen Spencer was used to dealing with fretful children. Her motherly heart beat in her breast when she took on a child. It was a while since they had a little girl to nurture, but Helen and Des were up to it. After all, it would not be all day; Jenny would be the school she was used to and they would take one step at a time as always.

Aunt Helen could cook and knit but she got tired easily and fretful, but Uncle Des did not want the powers to know that. Too bad if the house was not as tidy as it once was, or that fish and chips was a weekly treat as was pizza, or bingo! Yes, he had it all sewn up, to his advantage.  

Jenny’s bedroom was close to the Spencers. It was pretty and the bed was comfortable, but she cried herself to sleep most nights and was often left to her own devices. Sometimes if Helen and Des went out, Mrs Best a neighbour, came to sit with her. She was a nice lady and allowed Jenny to draw or watch television as long as she was in bed no later than 8.00 schooldays or 9.00 on Friday and Saturday nights when she could lie in the next day. Aunt Helen initiated the rule with Mrs Best in agreement, but she missed the life she had, and only rarely saw Pop and Gran.

Jenny was finishing her dinner one night when Mr Best came to the door to speak to Aunt Helen. He said that his wife could not look after Jenny because she had had a fall and her face and ankles were swollen. If Helen was stuck, he could look after Jenny for a while at least until their daughter came and they could swap babysitting chores.

Helen asked Jenny if that would be alright. Des wanted to go to the bingo and she was in charge of the coffee.  Jenny would rather have gone to Gran’s but did not say so, she tried to put that funny feeling aside.

Mr Best stayed and knew about the 8.00 rule  He was very pleasant to her and asked if she needed anything like a glass of milk.   Jenny did not want anything, and shook her head then belatedly said “Thank you”

“That’s alright, love.” Mr Best smiled though he was drinking from a green can

“What’s that?” Jenny asked pointing at the can.

“It’s VB love, Victoria Bitter. I can’t give you that; Aunt Helen would give me big smacks and when she had finished my wife would start on me too.” Jenny laughed then said

“I’d better get ready for bed.”

“Okay love, just holler if you need anything. Nighty night.” he smiled

The doorbell rang and Mr Best went off to answer it, expecting Jan.

“Ted,” he said, “where’s your sister?”

“Got the flu” answered Ted “Mum wants you to go over for a while; she says you have to help her get to bed.”

“Oh okay,” Mr Best hesitated “Jenny, love, I have to check on my wife, but Ted, our son will be here.  I will only be half an hour or so, okay?”

She nodded, a little nervous, but got into bed and tried to sleep. Soon, the warmth of the blankets comforted her and she closed her tired eyes…

Ted had had too much to drink; he knew he was unsteady on his feet but he should check on the kid nonetheless. He opened the door gently and gazed on her tiny frame. Almost as though a demon-possessed him, he stared some more, then carefully opened her pyjama jacket and touched her skin. Jenny woke more because of the smell of alcohol than anything else. She screamed and hollered, more out of fear than remembering Mr Best.

Suddenly a presence was at her door, her protector had arrived.

“WHAT THE BLUE BLEEDING HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?” Mr Best was angry enough to drag Ted off, and whack his face. Jenny screamed some more.

“Get out, you mongrel.” Mr Best was embarrassed, unaware that someone was watching. 

“Perhaps you would all like to get out.” said a soft voice. Helen had come home early she had a headache.

It was not a suggestion; Helen’s eyes were blazing. It was too bad that the next morning Jenny’s placement officer chose to visit and wondered why Jenny was off school. Not that it worried her unduly, kids get sick, but Jenny looked troubled.

When the young lass got wind of the events of the night before she called a colleague, and as a result the police took over, taking care to look after a frightened child above all else. The system worked so that the innocent can heal, but Ralph and Rita were not satisfied that Jenny was getting the best care, hence they got Sam involved.

In the room where men stood waiting to be identified, Jenny waited nervously, wishing it were all over. She had heard that Mr Best had been helping the police with their enquiries, but Mr Best had not hurt her. She had to tell the truth even if other people wanted her to answer as they saw the truth. Mummy always told her to tell the truth, Gran who was standing beside her in the room agreed.

The tallest policeman Jenny had ever seen in her life came towards her and smiled.

“Hi, Jenny. I’m John, it’s okay if you call me that. I want you to walk slowly and tell me if you see the man who hurt you that night. Don’t be frightened, the men can’t touch you or they have me to deal with. Take your time and look carefully. Just point, if you like.”

All eyes were on the frightened five-year-old. There was a sea of faces but she could not see ‘the mongrel’. She hesitated, her thoughts whirling. Jenny thought for a moment; she knew Mr Best who was in the line-up did not touch her.

“I cannot see…” she said quietly, then she sniffed the air. She knew that smell. Jenny walked smartly to the end of the line-up,  her fear gone, her determined face set, she had so little time to say her piece otherwise… She turned to John and said as she pointed.

“That’s him.”

“Mr Best?” asked John

“No” she almost shouted, “not Mr Best, his son.”

It all fell into place. It is amazing what can be done in ten seconds when the truth must be told, and the correct decisions made. The young Mr Best was taken away and Jenny was rewarded by the certainty that Pop and Gran would look after her.

Mr Best was delighted “Good on yer love, The truth wins eventually.”

December 31, 2020 05:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

06:34 Jan 07, 2021

Really interesting story! I had a fun time reading it and I think you built up the suspense well. I think my only feedback is that sometimes you can show instead of tell regarding the characters' personalities (e.g. Jenny looked troubled; how does a five-year-old show that emotion?). I think that it'd help make the characters unique from each other and Jenny stand out more. Overall, I loved reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:14 Jan 07, 2021

Great story, I really wish you good luck.

Reply

Claire Tennant
01:26 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you I hope I was not too harsh with you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.