Very Unlikely Or So They Thought

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

1 comment

Kids

Mia Wyatt has moved many times throughout her life because of her father being a part of the military. She had to move once again but she had gotten used to it. But it was always sad when she had to say goodbye to old friends. They never stayed long so she started not making friends so it would hurt less when she moved again. 


But she was lonely and didn’t really want to move so she can make friends and be happy. But she wasn’t sure her father would be able to do that. So, it was off to another school. Again. 

Mia sighed as she got into the car her backpack on the floor next to her feet. “ready?” her mom asked “yeah” Mia’s response was dry as she turned to look out the window. 


Her mom started the car and backed out of the driveway. 

The dive was mostly quite all that was heard was the hum of the engine and soft melody of the music that was playing on the radio.

 

Mia watched the scenery as they passed. She watched all the houses as they left the Neighbourhood. Watching as they passed other buildings.

  

When they reached the school, Mia read the sign that stood in front of the building “Arcola Public High School” 

“Have a good day, Mia” her mother smiled as she stopped in front of the school. “I will” Mia tried to smile as she got out of the car. Mia shut the door behind her. 


Mia sighed as she started up to the pale brown building. There were groups of people standing outside the school. Mia went inside to get her schedule and her locker number. 


When she walked into the office she walked to the counter. The woman at the desk had a blue dress with black patterns on. Her light red hair tied up into a bun.

  

The woman turned to look at Mia “good morning how can I help?” she asked  


Mia gave a smile “I'm new and I need my schedule and my locker number” 

 

“I can get that for you,” she said as she started typing something on her computer “what's your name?” she asks 


“Mia Wyatt,” she said 

 

The woman started typing more then she grabbed a sticky note and wrote a few numbers down and hands it to Mia. 

“that's your locker number” 

 

The woman does some more typing then she gets up and leaves only to return a few minutes later with a piece of paper. 

She hands the paper to Mia. “that's your schedule” 


“Thank you” she smiled as she took the paper  


“your welcome have a good day” the woman smiled

  

Mia smiled back then left the office. 


Mia looked at her schedule her first class was Math with Mrs. Amber. She starts to make her way over to the classroom.  


When she reached the classroom, she went inside. When she entered the room, the teacher walks over to her “you're the new student right?” Mrs. Amber asks her blond hair tied up in a ponytail.  


Mia nods she looks around the room and noticed the class were in their own groups doing something, some students seemed to be off on their own doing some worksheet.  


“well why don’t you take a seat anywhere is fine,” Mrs. Amber says 

Mia nods she goes to the middle nearest to the back since all the back seats were taken. Unsure of what to do she pulls out her binder that she filled with paper the previous night.

 

She looked at the whiteboard to find the words ‘Catch Up Day!’ on the board.  


Mia decided she would just draw since she clearly had nothing to work on yet. But before she could get anything out to draw, she was approached by a girl she had straight black hair and blue eyes she wore a black tee-shirt and black ripped jeans. 


“my name is Sam and I am here to show you around” she smiled  

“alright” Mia got up and followed Sam around as she showed her around the school. 


“so, where did ya move from?” Sam asks as they walked down the hall.


“from Miami” Mia kept the response short and sweet and wanted to keep it that way. 


“that's cool! I don’t think I caught your name” Sam prompted 


“Mia” she responds

 

“cool name!” Sam points to a room down the hall “and that’s the Library”

  

Mia nods  


“you should spend lunch with my friends and I” Sam turns to Mia her gaze met Mia’s green eyes. 


“I don’t know...” Mia tried to think of an accuse 


“come on it will be fun!” Sam said her voice pleading.


“I guess” Mia hesitated 


“Great!” Sam beamed  


Despite the look she sure had the attuite of a fluffy unicorn. Not that Mia minded of course, but she wasn’t sure she wanted to be friends with Sam, of course there was nothing wrong with her. But moving and the pain of saying goodbye she didn’t want to go through again. She remembers the first time she had to part with her old friends Molly and Rebecca. She still talks with them from time to time but not that often anymore. 


When Sam finished the tour and lead them back to the classroom while chatting with Mia. Or more like Mia was listening to Sam talk. 


Mia went back to her seat and got out a pencil and did some doodles on a blank piece of paper. 

 

When lunch rolled around, she went and found Sam. They were sitting outside in front of the school on a black table. 


Mia went over to them still unsure, she despite her being nervous she bit through that.

 

“Mia you’re here!” Sam exclaimed excited the rest of the group turned to look at her and smiled, some waved.

 

They seemed friendly enough as she sat down next to Sam, she gave her own wave to the group.

 

“This is, Salena” Sam points to a girl wearing a green sweater her blond hair in braids. “hey” she greets

 

“This is Brandan” Sam gestures to a boy with fluffy brown hair “sup” he waved

 

Sam gestures to the last guy there “that's Jake” Jake waves he had on a black hoodie and a red cap.

 

“guys this is Mia” Sam intrudes her

  

Mia gives them a wave “hey” was all she said.

 

Mia was distant for the first bit of knowing them before Jake asked her why she was so distant. 

 

“Why are you so distant?” Jake asked his hazel eyes masking any emotion he might have.

 

Mia wasn’t so sure how to answer or if she even could. She just stared at Jake for a moment before she asks “what do you mean?” she looked anywhere but at Jake.

 

“I think you know, but if you're not ready to tell me then I won't push you,” he answers 


“Jake, if I tell you, you have to not tell the others” Mia says as she turns to look at him now. 


He nods “alright” he agrees 


Mia takes a deep breath “I guess I don’t want to get to attached to you and everyone since my family moves a lot so to stop the pain of saying goodbye I try not to get to attached and end up distancing myself I guess” she looks up at Jake awaiting his reaction 


“I'm sorry to hear that. I hope we can help you heal, plus you are still in touch with them, right?” he asks 

 

Mia nods “yeah, but we don’t talk with them as often as we use to”  

“Friends come and go Mia and I am not saying completely forget about them but cherish the memories you made with them, plus you have us now,” Jake said as he gave Mia a small smile 


“Thanks, Jake” Mia smiles  


“anytime Mia” Jake returns the smile as he pulls the girl into a hug. 

Mia returned the hug happily. 


It was a little while before she chose to open up to the rest of the group but when she did, they were just as support of as Jake was. They became a part of her life and she now felt less alone and to Mia they are an unlikely friendship group. 


Even after they had bonded and she had them as friends she was keeping a secret from them that she didn't want to tell so they don't worry about her.


"Hey, loser!" hissed a very familiar voice she turned to see the face of Nia Blanc.


"What do you want?" Mia growls


Nia rolls her eyes "so demanding" she chides


"Just leave me alone" Mia spat


"Now why would I do that when I can do this!" she grabbed the sketchbook Mia had in her hands.


"hey give it back!" Mia exclaimed as she went to grab the book


"how about no!" Nia sneers as she pushes Mia back.


Nia opens the book and flips to a random page the picture drawn was of a willow tree.


Nia rips the page in half.


Mia lets out a shocked gasp as tears started to form in her eyes.


Nia scoffs "what? it's just a drawing of a stupid tree so why cry over it?"


Mia grabbed the book back roughly. she tried to blink away the tears but more tears started to form and before she knew it she was crying.


Nia rolled her eyes "wow it was just a stupid tree. stop being such a cry baby"


Mia glared at the girl through tears and tried to walk away.


Nia laughed as she walked away while calling her names.


Mia turned the corner and walked briskly to the nearest bathroom. when she got in there she made sure nobody was around.


She then let the tears fall. Mia's tears stained the page that the willow tree drawing was on or at least what's left of it.


Mia loved that drawing she worked hard on it and she was so proud she finally finished it drawing.


She was even going to share it with her friends. Something she doesn't do often.


She closed her eyes and let the tears fall down her cheeks. She then felt arms wrap around her.


Mia opened her eyes to see Salena through her blurry vision.


Salena rubbed her back in small calming circles while Mia let out soft choked sobs.


Once Mia had stopped crying her eyes were bloodshot and red.


"what happened?" Salena asks her voice soft


Mia didn't speak right away she was hesitant to tell her what had happened could she really tell her?


"what happened?" Salena asked again this time more demanding


"Nia..." was all she managed to say before Salena cut her off


"what that spoiled brat do?" Selena hissed


Mia explained what happened and showed Salena her drawing of the willow tree that was now torn in half.


"That brat! she is going to regret ever messing with you!" Selena growled.


"Please don't do anything rash" Mia sniffled


"I won't" Salena promised


Salena told the rest of the group and the group wanted to do something to Nia but Mia told them they shouldn't.


"But we have to do something!" Brandon protested


"I know but we can't do anything that could get us in trouble" Mia replies


"We need to do something! even if it will get us in trouble!" Brandon argued


"That's stupid we can do better than that" Jake cut in


"I would gladly get in trouble if that means Nia will leave Mia alone, Brandon says his gaze meeting Jake's


"We aren't going to go that route just yet, Sam says


"We aren't?"Salena asks


Sam shakes her head "No, we are going to talk to the teachers first."


"I don't know," Brandon said


"I'm with Brandon this seems dumb why don't we just beat her up?" Salena asks


"because that's going to have bigger consequences then we are prepared for" Sam explains


"I guess" Salena mutters


"don't worry that's plan b. just in case the teachers don't do anything, Sam says


"I guess that will have to do" Brandon sighs


Salena nods in agreement.


They report Nia to the teachers and Nia stops bulling Mia. Nia apologized and has since left Mia alone.


It was until a few months later Nia approached the group with a piece of paper.


The group glared at her as she walked up to them her emotions unreadable.


"what do you want?" spat Salena


Nia raised her arms in submission "listen I'm not here to cause problems." she says


Brandon glares "why should we believe you? all you ever did was bully Mia"


"like ripping up her hard work that was the drawing of the willow tree!' Salena said


"and stealing her stuff without asking and not giving it back either" Jake added


"calling her names" Sam continued the list


Nia's gaze softened into a look of shame and remorse.


"and you even tripped me many times" Mia speaks up


"yeah I kind of messed up. I am sorry" Nia says handing a picture over to Mia.


Mia looked at the picture and the picture was of a willow tree it looked very similar to the one Mia herself drew but this one had golden leaves instead of the white ones and the tree was on a hill in a field. The setting was at sunset there was shading on the drawing but there wasn't a lot of it.


"I know it doesn't exactly look like your drawing the only thing the same was the tree. But I wanted to draw it because I thought you might like it." Nia explains


Mia gave her a curious look "thank you, Nia" was all she responded with.


"I would also like to give back the stuff I stole" she pulls out an eraser from her pocket and a pen and handed it to her.


everyone watched her the anger and resentment that was there was now gone.


she Nia pulled out a tray of cupcakes from her backpack and handed it to the group. "I hope we can be friends and if not that at least be on good terms, she says


"Thanks Nia I would actually like that better than being mean to each other," Mia says taking the tray of cupcakes.


"why don't you join us?" Mia invites


the rest of the group doesn't seem convinced but they are willing to put up with her.


Nia agrees and sits with them for lunch.


Nia soon becomes a part of the group and earns their forgiveness by sticking up for Mia and them when some other kids try to be mean.


Mia counts their friendship unlikely but she does like it and wouldn't trade it for the world.

May 26, 2020 15:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

ℤ ℍ☮️
16:15 Jun 04, 2020

I'm here for the critique circle. First of all, I really like this story because I think it describes a very great and whole friendship. I'd love to have those friends! But there are some of grammar issues here and there. Most of the time, the sentences don't start with a capital. Lastly, some of the dialogue sounds unnatural. Like, "Why are you so distant?". But besides that, I really like this story! Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.