Luna's Journal

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Today was Miranda’s tenth birthday. That very morning, her mother Sunny, changed her life.


“I want to give you something.” 


“What? Wait what is it? But how about happy birthday first, Mom? I’m finally double digits!” Miranda squealed. Sunny maintained her serious demeanor, furrowing her eyebrows.


“It was your mother's journal. Luna. I found it in the attic and, well, you should read it.” Miranda got quiet, her face blanked in almost an instant.


Sunny handed Miranda a small black leather bound notebook, widened and yellowed from time and rain. 


Miranda was a bit curious to see what was inside, Sunny saw that. “Go ahead, honey, open it,” she said quietly, urging Miranda to do so. 


Miranda flipped to the first page. June 4, there was no year. “You were around two or three at the time.” Sunny commented. “Take your time, dear,” she said quietly, heading out of the room.


“Dear ‘diary’...” Miranda started. 


June 4


Daniel passed away in my arms just minutes ago. It was so unexpected. One minute, we were having fun and relaxing in each other’s arms and the next minute he was in cardiac arrest. Nonetheless, it brings tears to my eyes when I think about how Miranda won’t have a father. It breaks my heart that she won’t get any memories with her father and she won’t remember him. 


I just dropped Miranda off at daycare, she doesn’t know that her father won’t be home tonight and I don’t have the heart to tell her. 


Lord, please send me a sign that I will be okay. That my beautiful baby girl will still achieve happiness, even without her father. 


“My dad died?” Miranda whispered to herself. She had always thought her parents were divorced, that she would find him when she was older. But she kept reading. 


June 5


I met this incredible man walking on the street today. Miracles happen I suppose. He said he was “Duke Barnaby” and he was looking for employees. He said I looked down and offered me a job. I mean, looking back on that, I suppose that seems a bit fishy and random but I need money desperately in order to support myself. And Miranda. So, I of course took him up on the offer and he led me to his beautiful mansion. I remember how there were leaves that were full hanging gently off of the home and the willow trees. His home was well maintained; the grass was a vibrant green, tiger lilies of all colors and flowers of all sorts, statues and water fountains seemed to surround the home. It was absolutely marvelous. Inside was even better; the home had cool white marble floors, the ceiling had paintings of angels and heavenly figures and the wood stairs were carefully engraved with intricate patterns. It was the most magnificent place I had ever set foot in, prettier than photos online could ever depict and more exquisite than my words could ever describe.


Through the bay windows in the living room, I saw that Duke Barnaby had a menagerie of animals, most of which I had never seen before, in the backyard. He had a living room full of golden treasures and awards of all sorts hung high on the rich purple walls and had silky couches, day beds and ottomans scattered about. I sat down in a chair and swear I almost got enveloped in it. He handed me a contract with no explanation of any sort, but I was so  mesmerized by the scene that I just signed it blindly. 


“You will start work tomorrow, Luna,” he said, winking at me. 


I can’t wait to work.


June 6


Scratch that. I hate my job. It is the most repulsive job I have ever imagined. When I first arrived, Duke gave me a little dress that hardly covered my parts. When I told him about that, all he did was laugh. He said that was the point. But that’s just when everything started. He instructed me to follow this young woman wearing the same outfit into the servant quarters and wait there. She handed me a little pager, like the one doctors use, and soon after it rang. I went up to his bedroom and when I got there I saw a horrible sight. Duke Barnaby, and his bulging and wrinkly belly, just lay on the bed. He was naked. What he did next was, well I can't write it down… In short, he hired me for prostitution. I want to quit but today he threatened me that if I do he will send out his assassins, which I didn’t know he had. Besides, I need money for Miranda.


Miranda skipped a few pages, not wanting to read the gory detail of her job. She skipped a couple of days, not wanting to know what terrible things she had to do. She felt terrible for her mother.


June 11


A few weeks before Daniel’s death, I found I was pregnant. Duke doesn’t know but I think he suspects it. So today, he saw my belly and how it was growing and forced me to inject these drugs into my body with a syringe. He said they were “anti-aging” drugs and would also help reduce the fat on my stomach. 


I didn’t tell him it was a baby in my womb. I didn’t say that what he does is wrong, what he says is wrong.


I kept my mouth shut as I wanted to stay out of trouble. 


Later, I asked if they were FDA approved, if they were illegal and the government didn’t know they existed. He lied, saying they were. I could tell, he looked the other way as he said it.


June 27


I haven’t written in a while, I know. I have been busy with the new job, Miranda and my little baby. 


I went to check on the baby, to find out the sex yesterday. The woman at the ultrasound said there was no fetal heartbeat. It was a boy, by the way. I would've either named him Daniel after my husband or Brian after my father.


My sweet son died. Miranda won’t have a little brother. Daniel and I will never have any other children together, as we had planned.


It was the drugs.


“Wow,” Miranda gaped, “A baby brother. I could’ve been an older sister.” Tears formed in her eyes. “Miranda, time to eat!” Sunny called. “Later please, Mom,” she shouted back. She was extremely upset and confused as to why her mother would give her such an important thing on her birthday that could change her life. Nevertheless, Miranda was intrigued what would happen next. So, she kept reading.


June 28


I remember when Miranda two. It was around a month and half ago. Daniel was there with his little goofy crooked smile and twinkling eyes, Miranda’s little face lit up as she saw the cake… I want that back. I think about these memories all the time, like when she had her birthdays, when she learned to walk, when Daniel and I announced our pregnancy, when we got engaged and had a beautiful honeymoon wedding… I miss everything. Every day I just get sadder and sadder, maybe because my hopes of having more kids with Daniel is over. 


Because of that screwed up, sick man.


I called in sick for work. This needed to change. The other women were completely miserable and I did not want to take drugs. I hate needles. 


So, I called Daniel’s brother, Elliot. Elliot works for police. I was scared the whole time, I thought of the Duke’s threats of sending assassins out for me if I left or called the police. 


But today, I was just so depressed and fed up I had to tell Elliot about what he did. 


June 30


Elliot found him and arrested him. But the Duke knows it was me. But I am proud that I stood up to him, proud I saved my body from damage. Tomorrow I will find a job, perhaps at the markets selling plums and pears. I don’t know, we’ll see what it holds for me. 


July 7


The assassins found me in hiding. I sent Miranda away with my best friend Sunny. I will be shipping the journal to her as soon as I can.


Miranda, I love you with all of my heart. I gave you up not because I didn’t care about you but because I didn’t want them to kill you. My dear, I need you to know that I believe in you and you will have a great future with Sunny. You are a delight and you will blossom into a strong young woman, I know. I know you very well. 


They are coming. I hear them. 


Then it stopped. Miranda could imagine her mother’s screams, she could imagine how scared her sweet face would look like in her last moments.


She didn’t want to think about it. 


Sunny saw Miranda’s face, the distraught painted on it. 


“She was a great woman, she saved so many people from misery. She was the first one to stop it because everyone was too scared of Duke… she was a hero, she advocated for change and now no one will have to suffer this again.” Miranda started to cry. She wished she could meet Luna, this amazing hero. “Honey, don’t cry…” 


“It was supposed to be my tenth birthday, a happy occasion.” She whispered. 


“I know.”


“But I am glad my mother turned him in. She saved people from misery. She made her mark. She changed something.”


June 12, 2020 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
01:45 Jun 20, 2020

Good read. Gloomy situation that happens in reality way too much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Christina Bencin
15:41 Jun 22, 2020

Thank you! I totally agree. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.