0 comments

General

A FAMILY TREE

Mrs. Sudha decided to cut the mustard, come rain or shine. She agreed to join as a music instructor in a nearby college. People in the community were up in arms as if it was a crime. It was like a storm in the teacup. The only person who supported was her neighbor Mr. Yogesh. He too was a professor in the same college. And on his recommendation Sudha had an opportunity to join in for a noble cause. Those were the days when social prejudice was taking a toll on women empowerment in India.

The chaos was for two reasons.

Reason 1: A woman had no rights to go out for a job.

Reason 2: Sudha was a widow. As a widow, she was not supposed to come out of the house at all.

A penny for your thoughts, Mr. Shama Rao, Sudha’s father-in-law, was a wealthy, orthodox and a highly respected man in a small village. His wife passed away giving birth to a son. The motherless child was raised by him. And he was a chip of the old block. He too died of some unknown illness at a very young age leaving behind the newly married wife.

The widowed wife Sudha had just crossed her teen age. Life was totally deserted at a very early age to this elegant and pious lady. She was a great musician. She would ask, “can I teach music to some children nearby?” Even though she knew that It was a snowball’s chance in the hell. Shama Rao would roar, “if you invite people home for teaching, you’ll be inviting troubles. So, don’t venture into new things. Just accept the mishap and live a simple life.”

The custom was a widow must tonsure her head and wear a white or pale brown saree(Indian dress). But that was not imposed on Sudha with the recommendation of the great grand old lady Janaki, Shama Rao’s mother. She secretly supported Sudha. Sometimes she suggested her to go beyond the social limits taking care of a few social yardsticks. Shama Rao was also not a cruel man, but he feared the society. He was totally ignorant of his mother’s support.

Nightingales cannot hide their voice! And so was Sudha’s. she mesmerized the surroundings with her melody. Mr. Yogesh, the next-door neighbor often prompted her to spread the beautiful notes in the community. But Sudha was not dare enough to step out and children were not allowed to step in.

One fine day a supernatural power instigated her to give a cold shoulder and go beyond the rules of the society. She had made up her mind to face the worst. She walked along with Yogesh till the college to accomplish her dream of teaching music. People couldn’t tolerate it. The village was all ears for the Chinese whispers. All scandals and gossips were spread like a forest fire.

Shama Rao stood a silent spectator with butterflies in his stomach. He had never ever dreamt of a sequence like this in his house. He walked restlessly from one corner of the house to the other to blow off the steam. Emotions of all kind gushed his heart not knowing what to do. He favored a good fortune for the young lady, but he hadn’t any courage to face the folklore. He decided to abandon her that evening and he curtly burnt the bridges.

 Sudha took a bold step and marry Yogesh. She wanted to prove the scandals right. of course, Yogesh was a great friend and agreed willingly to get into a wedlock with the widow which strictly not accepted.

Sudha and Yogesh were banished from the town. They took it with a grain of salt and walked out. They did not leave any stone turned to find a new place, new job and a new life. Their will power fetched a fortune and settled on the other side of the hills.

Shama Rao was sitting on the fence unable to jump on the bandwagon. He knew that it takes two to tango. But it was inevitable for him to deal with. He just allowed things to happen.

After a storm there was a lull. Somewhere in the corner of his heart, he was happy for what had happened. At the same time was feeling low too. It had pinched his pride. He had lost his voice in the society.

 Out of sight is out of mind. No wonder the village folks greeted and treated Shama Rao with same honor. But it was very difficult for him to accept. Slowly everything was wiped off from the memory.

In due course, Shama Rao was compelled to clean the loft. In the old iron chest, he found a pair of shining big anklets. Gazing from one end to another, he took them to his mother to know more about them. Janaki was in tears to see the anklets and let the cat out of the bag.

She reveals, “for ten long years we didn’t had any children. The reason was your father was impotent. When your grand mother became aware of it, she compelled me to indulge in a secret affair with Yogesh’s grandfather and you were born. These anklets were gifted to me as a token of love. They were not valuable to me because everything happened only to raise an heir for the asset. My son, only a mother knows the father of her child. People speak so much about noble qualities, but the world is full of hypocrisy. I have no trust on anyone. I bless the children Sudha and Yogesh whole heartedly. They didn’t do any crime.” So, saying the old lady closed her eyes forever.

Shama Rao was dumb founded listening to the secret revealed by his mother. The reality was a hot potato. He was reduced to tears. He made up his mind to go in search of his daughter-in-law. She was an apple of his eye before the chaos and it was restored back.

Like a vagabond, he roamed across the streets and hills in all possible directions inquiring about Sudha and Yogesh. The last straw was to inquire in some colleges. And yes, he had hit the nail on the head. He saw Yogesh just as he entered the first college which he found a mile away. He was eager to meet Sudha as well. His eyes were searching for her as he was talking with Yogesh. Like a snowball effect, the melodious voice of music reached his ears confirming the presence of Sudha. In a short while the ice melted down. With great honor, the couple welcomed him home and offered a soulful hospitality. He felt as if the heaven was within the reach. He spilled the beans which was badly waiting for. He heaved a sigh of relief and made a journey towards his heavenly abode.

             ****************************** 

August 20, 2020 17:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.