The Sun is my King

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Historical Fiction

For all eternity, I am there. I am old as I am young. For every new story, I am rebirth. I’ve been named a hundred times now. I was with the great kings of old, have been their aid in battle, and wars, in politics, even games. I’ve never failed them once. These kings wouldn’t be written in legends without me. And this is one bit of an infinite story for stars to tell their masters and be gifted to humanity.

This one story is about a boy who became the Sun, my Sun.

Clear as day with not a cloud in the sky, there, his cry was heard in the entire kingdom, and along with it is a tear from the moon, my revival, to be given to this future king when he is ready.

The kingdom rejoiced with having the sun come down to this child. With his eyes of clear blue and hair the color of the reddest sunset. He was the impersonation of the sun brought to this earth to do great things, and I will be by his side when the time comes.

We grew up basically together. With him and his wooden swords, and me observing from my pristine towers how everything will come to play. With the youth in my blood, I too want to play beneath the trees and feel the breeze. With him by my side. But no, one must learn patience to succeed.

“Not yet,” I tell myself barely containing my excitement on this great adventure I’ll be having when the time is finally right.

“You are not worthy of me. Such a boy is not fit to wield the power granted by the mighty moon and the wisdom of a thousand stars”, I try to tell him to dim down the radiant light he seems to bring out of me.

“I will be worthy of you!” he answered back. The golden sun, so brave, so radiant. I know you will be. But I dare not say it out loud.

At least not yet.

Years passed by and there he was. Astride his mighty horse, with his loyal men at his side. Still far from being a king.

Then, just like every other night, where the moon, was gracing the kingdom with her presence, I saw, there came thieves of the night. Tinting the garden roses of the queen with their feet of foreign soil and swords guided by the force from evil.

And there is nothing that I could do, for I am still but a fragment, the king is not yet ready to yield my strength. I called upon my friend the wind to alert the young prince, for the kingdom is in danger.

Quick, faster, bring in the coldness of fear, my message. It is still too soon, I fear.

But, it was too late.

Both the king and queen fell under the blade of another kingdom that seeks to expand its territory. Such jealousy and fear. How could one stain the people guided by the stars? Poison a peaceful kingdom? But such is the history of time, that will repeat itself over and over again.

A deafening roar resounded over the void of night.

Steps resound over my tower walls and I already know who it was. The prince went down on his knees, palms both sides up. Voice trembling but with conviction,

“I am in need of your guidance, I can’t do it on my own. Please give me the power and wisdom to make this path right. ” his small cracked voice said. Quiet, regal, dedicated, humble.

Time says it’s too soon, but my heart tells me he has to be ready now.

“Name me my king,” I ask, for what is more valuable than the name given by the person who holds me dear.

“You are Luna, my moon, and you will light up my darkened path.”

The next day, there he stood with his red cape and the sun on his head. Trumpets echoed for mourning and for celebration. Everyone had high hopes for this boy king. Everyone sees him as a valiant warrior ready to defend his kingdom from the enemies that surround him.

But I saw the truth, a boy not yet of age has been thrown a crown that weighs far heavier than that of me in his callous hand.

I am a gift from the stars, given to the sun king to wield and aid him in his reign. I am the moon, integrated into the sword he now holds. And the Sun is now my King.

It wasn’t long till the kingdom cried for revenge, and it wasn’t long till suddenly the boy king was a boy no longer. He grew taller and together we worked together day and night. To know each other’s weaknesses and strengths, to get used to each other. For we both know war is coming, and it will be painted with bloodshed or so the king says to me.

After months and months of planning with his generals and me by his side, it is finally time to march on and claim what was stolen from us.

Days pass on the march seems endless, my King all but weary for the stain in his eyes does not disappear, and vengeance lay ahead of him still.

I am here my King, yield me as you wish, use me to fulfill your oath and your desire. You have earned me and my powers, and I have granted them to you.

And there came the first battle I’ve ever been through in my existence. Noise, blood, fear. Together with my king we fought and trudge through countless bodies till all fell and what was left were the hopeless ones, with their hands up above the air.

“Kill them,” my king ordered me. Hesitation brewed up within me and for the first time, I couldn’t pass on his order.

“KILL THEM!” he shouted with great force that the heads of the men were cut off clean.

“They should’ve been given a chance my King!” I plead with him.

Heavy is my heart as I silenced the plea of mercy. Have I made a mistake?

His eyes, though seems cold and lost, looked at me with tears.

“The weight of the crown is heavy, but not as heavy as the sword gifted to me” he answered. Still, the battle rages on, with my heart growing heavy as the days pass I feel it in the heaviness of the king’s hand every time he lifted his sword and raise his shield.

War after war, I could feel the weariness of my King. Finally when all was quiet and his men are taking a rest, “Have we not won yet, my king?” I ask as we stared over the blanket of stars.

“One last war my Luna and it will all be over, Will you be with me one last time?”

And I was, not just one time, but through all the wars that he has fought with. He brought peace to his kingdom by destroying all the other kingdoms that seek to ruin his. Through this, his kingdom flourished and expanded.

He had done all the great kings would've done. Ruled his kingdom wisely. Though, through the test of time, he had buried his friends at the cost of the kingdom. He was still there standing still and strong. Holding the entire kingdom in his hands.

Though through every war he had been, his hands did not grow heavy, instead, his eyes have shown wisdom. He would yield to my plea to stop when I saw the hopelessness in the eyes. And for that I am grateful. He was named the Merciful Sun King.

Of course, there were times when we wouldn’t agree with a decision and we’d both be burdened by this. There were times where I let him down and there were times where he let me down. But never did it change the fact that I was his, he was mine. He couldn’t win a war without me, and I couldn’t live without him.

For years and years, we were inseparable. His name was written in legends, songs were sung in his honor. Mine was just a whisper in the winds, a secret held deeply by my beloved king. And I am glad that I was there to witness this noble Sun King as his people came to call him.

I serve the Sun king and I’ll serve him still. Till the twinkling stars die one by one and are all but gone and I am laid beside his tomb, underneath the bright blue moon to which he was blessed with. I will stay with his cold corpse whispering all the glory days till I too am but gold turned to dust.

August 06, 2021 01:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tolu Odel
23:43 Aug 13, 2021

Hey, here from the critique circle! This was a really nice fantasy read and very creative :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.