0 comments

Fiction

It was the beginning of the year when everyone is excited about how they made it into the New Year after an eventful 2020 with the spread of the pandemic Coronavirus across the globe. Entering into 2021 gave everyone a sigh of relief. For some, they entered the year with bad news of some sort either s loss of a family friend or the emotions that comes with not having a course of income, especially in January when the month seem to be the longest as finances go down in December with lots of celebrations and expenses in the festive period.

Many people have written down their New Year resolutions and after taking down lessons learned from 2020. Looking at social media, filled with lots of pictures of people’s achievements and lovely family photos of different families wearing colorful pajamas. For some who didn’t have, they ended up liking those posts especially on Instagram, and wishing they had the privilege to take lovely family photoshoots, for some they are filled with envy and jealousy, and the emotions go on and on and on.

Kola was a very good friend of mine, he was a highly sort after professional in the banking profession,  prior to covid-19, he spends most of his time, chasing after one client to the other to open either a corporate accoutre a personal as he was a refined marketer with various degrees from IVY league schools abroad in the UK. He also had very good interpersonal communication skills, a sense of humor, and marketing skills. So he was the favorite of his top management colleagues at work as he oftentimes gets the best portfolios that brought major profits to the organization. But Kola had a weakness which was being able to save from his salary. He had a soft heart that made him loan funds to family and friends and eventually fails to collect it back leaving him with little to manage till the next payday.

Suddenly, the world no longer operates the way it should operate as covid-19 forced most nations to shut down, most world economy shut down as a result of the rapid rate of spread of the virus. Companies were forced to do meetings online via various virtual platforms such as zoom, google meet, adobe connect, Webex etc. Some firms were forced to lay off staff whose roles weren’t key or roles that can be done by another person. In Kolas's organization, decisions had to be made as well as the management could not keep the number of staff they had and so people were asked to resign with a little amount to compensate them. Unfortunately, Kola was affected as his role could be done without him being there since the movement was restricted. He had the shock of his life as he didn’t think management would put him on the list of persons whose services were no longer needed. It was a black day for Kola and his colleagues who were laid off.

Kola felt betrayed after all efforts he made to ensure targets were made. Sometimes she placed himself in harm's way by sacrificing family meetings as he had a wife and a beautiful daughter. Fortunately for him, his wife has a small business that was self-sustaining and that would be what he would latch on to until he is able to find himself another job. As he watches the mail on his laptop he glared and glared until tears started to drip from his eyes, he didn’t know this would be a great blow to his emotions Kola hardly expresses his emotions as he always had what he wanted. His wife came into his room and found him head faced down on his laptop. Somehow, she managed to see the mail as Kola didn’t shut his laptop. All she did was to hug him giving tight in her warm embrace with a reassurance that all will be well. He cried like a baby like never before. How could they do this to me after all my years of work and sacrifice he asked? All she could say was. “When one door shuts down, another will open up cheer up my hero”. Kola looked at her eyes like a baby who has been denied ice-cream saying. “I promise to work harder than before my love, so I can take care of you and our daughter. Gbemisoke (Meaning “Lift me up”. Kolas wife responded, “We are here for you”, as long as we have breathe trapped in us we shall overcome this season. So kola wiped his face and was full of hope knowing he can’t just give up now, he has come too far from where he started from.

In the next few months, Kola started to research more about new trends in his profession and realize digital marketing was a way of reaching out to clients more in today’s world as a result of covid-19, Many people spend their time online on social media interacting with potential clients, chunking out content that was appealing to the eyes and as well meeting the needs of the people. He studied the best players in that sphere and decided he was going to do a top-up of qualifications to what he had by taking short courses on digital marketing something he had procrastinated for years thinking his master in Ivy League school was enough for him. He didn’t notice the trends were changing even before the lockdown.  Kola was a bit disappointed about himself but somehow knew it was time for him to step up his game for the next job he will get.

Kola engaged in classes from the comfort of his home and paid attention to every class he did while applying for jobs in companies such as oil firms, consulting firms, not-for-profit organizations both local and international organizations. He also started thinking about starting his firm since he had the skill to win bids, if he could do it for his company them sure he can do it for himself. This was an idea his wife kept telling but he pushed it far at every discussion he had with his wife giving excuses of how comfortable they were.

“This probably is the right time”, he thought to himself to set up his business. So Kola made findings of how to register a business name which he did in a month and create an online tool to advertise his skills using tips received from his digital classes and soon enough, he began to gain clients from family and friends who needs to have more online presence for their businesses. Kola got a friend to collaborate with him on his new project and soon enough they started making profits form 10s to 100s to thousands and millions. Kola decided not to look for jobs anymore since he can run his business from home.

One fateful day Kola got a mail from a familiar number, the person reveals his purpose for calling but not his or her name. The caller confessed to Kola how his name wasn’t supposed to be on the layoff list but was there as a result of jealousy as the person didn’t like the attention Kola was getting from his top management. He or she apologized and informed Kola that the management will reach him sooner or later to reinstate him back to work. At this time Kola wasn’t interested because he had built his business and would not want a distraction. However, Kola took the offer after a call came in a week after he got the truth about his lay off, from a respected person from his previous organization. He gave them a condition that he would only come back if they allow him to work 3 times from home.

Kola knew his stay at his company to be limited because he needs to put a structure in his business to ensure it runs effectively. It was the best day for Kola and his family. The most important lessons Kola learned from the situation by the end of the year were never procrastinate something very important in life, be prepared for eventualities, learn to save for the rainy day just in case you don’t have a support system to fall back on.

January 01, 2021 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.