2 comments

Fiction High School Contemporary

It's June 11, 2021, the last day for the students at Glendale High School in Trenton, Alabama. The Beta Club students sold enough chocolate candy to go on their yearly summer vacation trip to Disneyland. All the students were to meet in the auditorium at the school to get their tickets and leave on the Trailways bus on Friday morning June 18 at 10:00 a.m. After school, the buses were parked in the front of the school that afternoon to pick up the students to take them home. Bryant Monroe picks up his little brother Devin from school that afternoon.

"What's up little bro?" asked Bryant. 

"Nothing much," said Devin. "I thought mom was picking me up from school."

"Mom had to pick up Aunt Sally," said Bryant. "So you're stuck with me."

"Okay," said Devin.

Bryant took Devin by the Dari King before they both went home. There were a lot of out-of-town relatives in town for the Monroe family reunion. When the boys came home their parents were already there. Aunt Sally was sitting in the rocking chair eating some seedless grapes from a bag.

"Hello there boys," said Aunt Sally. "Come give me some sugar."

The boys reluctantly went over to her and kissed her on the cheek.

"Y'all were little things when I saw you," said Aunt Sally.

Aunt Sally was an eccentric lady. Some family members wouldn't take anything to do with her because of her strange ways. The boy's mother told them that their Aunt Sally was special because she had physic dreams. At dinner, Devin told Aunt Sally that he was so excited about the Disneyland trip his club was going on in a week.

"That sounds real nice son," said Aunt Sally. "In all my years I ain't never went to Disneyland."

"We couldn't afford to when we were children," said Mother.

"Hell I can't afford to now," said Aunt Sally.

"We're going have to take you there," said Dad. "When you come back to town."

"I'll be looking forward to it," said Aunt Sally.

When Dinner was over, the family went into the dining room area to watch the news on television. Aunt Sally doze off and the boys' mother covered her up with a blanket. Aunt Sally didn't like sleeping in anyone's bed but her own. The rest of the family went upstairs to get ready for bed. When Devin woke up the next morning, Aunt Sally was standing over him watching him sleep.

"You alright Aunt Sally?" asked Devin.

"I'm fine nephew," said Aunt Sally. " I don't think you should go on that trip next week."

"Why can't I go?" asked Devin.

"Something bad is going to happen," said Aunt Sally. "I saw it in my dream."

"I have to go, Aunty," said Devin. "I have already paid my money."

Aunt Sally left out of Devin's room. Her heart sank a little because she knew her dreams were never wrong. She came downstairs to talk to his parents about the dream that she had about Devin going to Disneyland.

"Devin can't go on his trip next week," said Aunt Sally.

"Why can't he go?" said Father

"I saw something bad happening," said Aunt Sally. "I saw an awful wreck and three people were killed."

"Sally the trip is non-refundable," said Father. "He has to go."

"Are you sure Sally?" said Mother.

"I ain't never wrong about my dreams," said Aunt Sally.

The boy's mother explained to their father about Sally's dreams always coming true. He didn't want to hear what his wife was saying and grabbed his briefcase and left for work.

"Everything will be fine Sally," said Mother. "I have to help Lily with the family reunion activities."

"I'll pray for him sister," said Aunt Sally. "Maybe this time the dream won't come true."

The boys' mother and Aunt Sally left for the Hampton Hall to make the final arrangements for the caters and the music for the reunion on Saturday afternoon. The boys went to the mall after breakfast to go shopping for clothes for Devin's trip. Devin was a little worried after Aunt Sally told him about her dream. He knew his dad would have had a fit if he canceled and he wouldn't be able to get his money back.

"What's up bro?" asked Bryant.

"I'm worried about the trip," said Devin.

"Why you worried?" asked Bryant. "You know Aunt Sally's, looney man."

"Her dreams always come true though," said Devin.

"I don't believe in that dream stuff," said Bryant. "You shouldn't either."

Bryant and Devin finished shopping at the mall and went home. On Saturday afternoon the whole family went to the reunion. The boys had a good time with their out-of-town cousins. A few of the uncles got drunk and starting fighting the reunion. This was something that happened every year. After the reunion was over Aunt Sally had to go back home to Washington DC. She kissed both boys goodbye that Monday morning and their mother took her to the airport to catch her flight.

"Devin you be safe hon," said Aunt Sally.

"I will Aunty," said Devin.

"Have a good trip Sally, said Father. "Disney trip your next visit."

"Okay," said Aunt Sally.

It's Friday morning the day of the trip. All the students met with their parents in the auditorium. The regular bus driver Mr. Johnny had suddenly taken ill. His replacement driver was a younger man named Randy. The student got their tickets and they all boarded the Trailways bus. The five chaperones all boarded after the children. The parents stand watching and waving to their children in the parking lot of the school as the bus drove away. Later on Friday evening, there was a call at the Monroe home. It was a policeman telling them there was a bad accident on the freeway. Several of the students were hurt and three people were killed including a chaperone. The officer said Devine was fine he just needed a few stitches for his forehead. All the kids had to be released to their parents before leaving the hospital. Devin's parents and his brother Bryant left going to pick him up from the hospital. The whole Florida ride was a quiet one. Devin was waiting for his parents sitting in the lobby. A policeman was with him to talk to his parents. There were two students killed in the wreck along with the Chaperone Mr. Walker. The bus driver was arrested and found to be under the influence of a controlled substance. Since Mr. Johnny had taken ill suddenly, the owner Mr. Shelby of the Trailways bus couldn't find another experienced driver on such short notice. The Trailways was already rented out for the student's trip to Florida. Mr. Shelby didn't want to have to refund the money so he forced his nephew Randy to drive the bus. Mr. Shelby was brought up on charges and later sued by the family of the victims. The school refunded the kids their money. There was a memorial service for the three people who died in the school's auditorium. While Devin sat in the memorial service he began to think about Aunt Sally's warning about the trip. He called her after returning home. Devine promised that if she warned him about anything ever again he would listen. The scar on his forehead was a reminder if he ever forgot.

June 16, 2021 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sudhir Menon
17:58 Jun 22, 2021

An easy-read story with a clear build - up to the premonition taking effect. You may read and comment on my story 'A Picture Goes Missing...', written with the same prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie B
12:03 Jun 22, 2021

Clara, thank you for a wonderful reading experience. Keep on writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.